Vancouver Drivers not so bad after all...

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

ilovetheriders
Starter

This is most likely the wrong area so feel free to move. Having recently moved here from Saskatchewan I have heard all of these terrible stories that people in Vancouver don't know how to drive in the snow and ice. Other than a few people driving way too fast I haven't witnessed anything out of the ordinary. Sure I've pulled over to push a few people out because we've all been there but that is going to happen when you get this much snow and the city does nothing about it.

Speaking of the city 2 thumbs down on them for towing cars that had no other choice but to park on the street because there was no other place. I am fortunate enough to have a place to park but what about others? So the city doesn't clear the streets and then they tow people, makes no sense at all.
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Moved to the Pub.

Please note that the CFL Forum is reserved for CFL football discussion.
D
Team Captain

Welcome ILR ... can you send this snow back to Sask please :wink:

what this area REALLY lacks is a decent road system .... there is so much traffic and no real thru roads that can get you quickly from one place to the other side of town.

I witnessed one terrible accident in the snow ..... some asshat from Manitoba flys by me on a relatively steep hill .... he hit a car turning left at the bottom of the hill .... asshat! :sigh:
I own The Grey Cup! .com
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Most of those that cannot drive well here are from elsewhere.

PS, whats an asshat? Can someone draw me a pic
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
zark
Champion

I agree.What the heck is an asshat? What does it look like. What colour is it?
Hi Solar Max. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of a CFL discussion. Pinball's up here in Kamloops "spreading the Word" when we all know the Argo's need a Head Coach. We're also waiting for Wally's phase 2.
Hi ilovetheriders. Although I question your football taste, I do respect your taste in provinces. One thing. If you go to sporting events in town, unlike Sask., we frown upon throwing beer cans at players. Something our kids aren't taught. Other than that...Welcome to BC. Check out the rest of the province.
Smart move. :beer:
"'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Groucho Marx
D
Team Captain

a picture is worth a thousand words and i type slow so here is a pic :tease:

PS Fred Feteri says .... Wally is still our coach :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I own The Grey Cup! .com
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

D wrote:a picture is worth a thousand words and i type slow so here is a pic :tease:

PS Fred Feteri says .... Wally is still our coach :lol:
that image of joe galat has forever been engraved upon my deepest darkest memories :sigh:
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Most of the people who causes accidents are driving with summer tires or undue care given the weather conditions. I live on a main street and I'm astonished at the number of people driving too fast or following too close.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Some people also have a really brain fart when it comes to choosing their routes too. I don't know how many times I see people trying to drive up a hill that is way to steep for the conditions, sliding ass backwards and getting sideways or what not. I got caught out tonight in my car because I thought it was supposed to RAIN! After it started snowing and my usual routes were cut off due to the conditions, I had no choice but to go miles out of my way because that was the safest most level route. The point is that I made my destination safely. If more people used that excuse they had for a brain and thought a little about how they are going to get someplace and what the terrain is like, they might just be more successful!
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

D wrote: what this area REALLY lacks is a decent road system .... there is so much traffic and no real thru roads that can get you quickly from one place to the other side of town.
The product of a conscious decision by successive city councils and provincial governments to NOT build road infrastructure in the 1960s.

Perhaps the electorate might take this as a lesson learned and get out and vote accordingly. They want a road, you the voter vote for them. They don't provide a road, and the voters see that said politician delivers papers for the rest of his life.

But most of us are too lazy to vote, so...... :x
nelson95
Legend

they are bad

don't fool yourself
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
ziggy
Legend

Having lived in Ottawa and Halifax I must confess I don't see much difference in snow driving out here, other than the clowns without proper tires. The main difference I see is the snow clearing and to a degree the type and amount of snow. My experience though, when the roads were west coast crappy out east, was that drivers in Halifax and Ottawa were just as bad, they just didn't know it. As I like to say when the news carries one of those massive pileups on the 401, "those easterners don't know how to drive in the snow".
MacNews
Team Captain

Solar Max wrote:The product of a conscious decision by successive city councils and provincial governments to NOT build road infrastructure in the 1960s.
Apparently we're better off having constant congestion. It's good for the lungs.

8)

SUVs with summer tires are my winter pet-peeve.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

ziggy wrote: My experience though, when the roads were west coast crappy out east, was that drivers in Halifax and Ottawa were just as bad, they just didn't know it. As I like to say when the news carries one of those massive pileups on the 401, "those easterners don't know how to drive in the snow".
I agree. BC residents can't drive in the snow is a myth. Eastern drivers are just as bad.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

Solar Max wrote:
D wrote: what this area REALLY lacks is a decent road system .... there is so much traffic and no real thru roads that can get you quickly from one place to the other side of town.
The product of a conscious decision by successive city councils and provincial governments to NOT build road infrastructure in the 1960s.

Perhaps the electorate might take this as a lesson learned and get out and vote accordingly. They want a road, you the voter vote for them. They don't provide a road, and the voters see that said politician delivers papers for the rest of his life.

But most of us are too lazy to vote, so...... :x

Do you mean building freeways? Sunday night I drove home from Ladner in the snow, taking 99 north, Oak Street bridge and Marine Drive to Champlain. By far the worst conditions were on the 99 roughly between Steveston and Bridgeport. SUV and pickup drivers who still thought they could still drive 100 weren't helping. The offramp to 91 looked pretty white and I gave it a miss.