Doug Berry fired

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

joesports
All Star

Not surprising.

As per TSN.ca...
Doug Berry has been fired as head coach of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

One year after making an appearance in the Grey Cup, the Blue Bombers struggled to an 8-10 record and second place finish in the East Division this season.

That was followed by a 29-21 loss to the Edmonton Eskimos in the East Semi-Final.

In his three years with the Blue Bombers, Berry accumulated 27 wins to rank among the franchise leaders in that category.

He took over a team that won five games in 2005 and guided them to a record of 9-9 and a berth in the East Semi-Final. Last season, the Blue Bombers finished at 10-7-1 and advanced to the Grey Cup.
Rammer
Team Captain

Well I guess all the speculation on his new contract being signed or not, is now moot. Perhaps it was never offered to him to sign in the end with the difficult start and Taman's contract up at the end of this season.
Entertainment value = an all time low
QB#9
Starter

Things move along pretty fast. Any idea of who might be the replacement?
Bosco
Team Captain

The Bombers seemed to have a rocky 2008 season, to say the least.

Still can't figure out Winnipeg's game plan in Saturday's loss against the Eskimos. They didn't run and utilize Joe Smith's strengths when marching against the wind, and didn't throw the ball downfield (except for Bryant's TD in the first quarter) when they did have the wind.

You have to question Berry and the game plan for Saturday's loss.
Ballistic Bob
Legend

Serna is breathing easier now. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I would have thought that the Bombers making the playoffs as weak (as the Eastern Conference is)would have saved Berry's job for the time being.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

My top 2 candidates would be:

1. George Cortez
2. Richie Hall

And how does Taman survive another makeover in Winnipeg?
cromartie
Hall of Famer

It was evident, at least by Game 4, to me that he'd lost control of that team.

Frankly, I'm surprised he survived the season. If the Argos hadn't made a conscious decision to nuke their season, they likely wouldn't have made the playoffs at all.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

JohnHenry wrote:Wow, they just signed Berry to a 3-yr contract extention this spring.
That's the one thing I thought might keep him around for another year. Community owned teams hate having to eat salary for canned coachs. Eating a final year they can live with. Two years though?????? Somebody gonna have some 'splainin' to do to their board of directors.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Wakesbetterthanyou
Legend

Hambone wrote:
JohnHenry wrote:Wow, they just signed Berry to a 3-yr contract extention this spring.
That's the one thing I thought might keep him around for another year. Community owned teams hate having to eat salary for canned coachs. Eating a final year they can live with. Two years though?????? Somebody gonna have some 'splainin' to do to their board of directors.
Yea, that was the only reason this surprised me. Tho 27 wins all time for a coach is up there? Winnipeg must have sucked a lot throughout their history
Check out my lions art http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/viewtop ... =4&t=15940

How does a rider fan spell dynasty????

O N E
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

From way out here on the left coast, I liked Doug Berry. He turned the Bombers franchise around for the better.

He looked ultra intense on the sidelines, almost jumping out of his skin, his face clenched and flinching.

He must be from the Vic Rapp school of coaching. Probably burns out, and tunes out the players.

I am somewhat concerned that there might be a bit of a raid on the Lions coaching staff in the off-season, especially if we win the Grey Cup, which is a good possibility.

The media are reporting that Mike Benevides is the top candidate for the Argos job. IMO he will eventually get a HC chance, and IMO he will be a good one.

If Jacques Chapdelaine had not jumped to Edmonton last year, and had stayed with the Lions all this time, IMO he would be a top candidate for a Head Coaching gig in the CFL. He might still be. IMO he might actually be better as a HC than as an assistant, and I think he is good there too. His players believe strongly in him.
zark
Champion

Bosco wrote:The Bombers seemed to have a rocky 2008 season, to say the least.

Still can't figure out Winnipeg's game plan in Saturday's loss against the Eskimos. They didn't run and utilize Joe Smith's strengths when marching against the wind, and didn't throw the ball downfield (except for Bryant's TD in the first quarter) when they did have the wind.

You have to question Berry and the game plan for Saturday's loss.
I didn't get it either. It could have been an exciting game, but nose dived. I think Joe touched the ball once in the 1st half. Backs need lots of touches to get themselves going.
"'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Groucho Marx
Bosco
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:
And how does Taman survive another makeover in Winnipeg?
Apparently, Taman will lose some of his power as Edmonton assistant Mike Kelly is rumoured to be the next head coach and director of football operations.

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/stor ... ports/home