Should the Hit on Clermont to the Head Get League Review?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

TV guy Dan Elliott (?) suggested today that the helmet hit to Clermont should get league review.

I agree. If you can't lead with the helmet and the Bomber player did what does it take to get action on that type of hit?

Jason Clermont may be the toughest guy in the CFL as commentators suggest but that should not mean that the game and league officials should allow cheap hits to the head that are not permitted. Just because he wasn't knocked out and concussed and done for the game should not mean the CFL turns a blind eye to this sort of thing. When I hear the commentators going wow what a hit instead of wow what a cheap dirty shot, it makes me wonder where their heads are at. If it is against the rules, say so. Don't give the cheap shot artist accolades.

If I am off base here, let me know. But to me, that helmet hit to Clermont's head is banned so the league should act. It is not a defense to say he didn't get hurt so let's forget it. This guy has a career in football and a life to live that should not be impacted by a cheap shot artist who had him lined up while he was catching the pass.

To suggest that it should not receive league discipline as it didn't result in injury would be similar to me driving through a red light and not hitting anyone and not getting a ticket because no one got hit or hurt.
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

As most here would know, I heartily agree.

However, (and you knew there WAS one) the league has shown NO interest in protecting its players by enforcing its own rules.

Black, Daley, Higgins, it remains the same. And yet, they can go on witch hunts about everything else.
joesports
All Star

It is unfortunate that the league will probably not do a thing. Personally, I think that at the very least, the League should review that play with the refs and remind them about the rules. These players will have lives after football and deserve to be protected. The CFL needs to remember this.
Tighthead
Legend

Solar Max wrote:As most here would know, I heartily agree.

However, (and you knew there WAS one) the league has shown NO interest in protecting its players by enforcing its own rules.

Black, Daley, Higgins, it remains the same. And yet, they can go on witch hunts about everything else.
The league seems particularly slack on hits to the head of non-QBs. Geroy was headhunted in Calgary.
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

I also believe that placing someone as inept as Tom Higgins in an important position such as head of officiating is folly, TH. That speaks volumes about the old boys club currently in charge of the CFL.

Someone will have to be paralyzed, as James Bell was, or killed before action is taken.
Shaggy
Starter

I totally agree there should be a review.
The cumulative effects of concussions alone can be devastating, let alone other potential injuries from such a hit.

Players need to remember the helmet is protective gear, and not a weapon.

Glad to see Lion82 shake off the hit, and glad it wasn't worse.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

This was a rare occasion for me as I didn't catch any of the TEAM 1040 broadcast. Was there any talk about the legality of that play amongst Ball & co, either during the game or on the postgame show?
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I thought that perhaps it was not a penalty because it looked to me like he did not come in with his head down. It looked like he was at least attempting to hit with his face toward the left of JCs chest, and then kinda slid up during contact. It looked to me like he was trying to get him mostly with his shoulder and chest. I did not think there was any deleberate attempt to do anything more than rock JC with a clean hit.

Has anyone from the lions complained about that hit???
Last edited by KnowItAll on Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
lion24
Legend

If it was deliberate no doubt but it almost seemed to me Nugent was a bit off balance before the hit? It still kills me how Clermont seems to take the most devastating hits every time he catches the ball and even when he wasn't hit on the deep ball his momentum drove himself into the turf :sigh:
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Solar Max wrote:I also believe that placing someone as inept as Tom Higgins in an important position such as head of officiating is folly, TH. That speaks volumes about the old boys club currently in charge of the CFL.

Someone will have to be paralyzed, as James Bell was, or killed before action is taken.
So, someone besides James Bell, then?
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Guilio is saying that hit is still bothering me. He is saying this now on Team 1040 Moj show.

"He led with his head into Clermont's helmet ...it could have ended his career." Says league should review.

Burns is taking the opposite view which is what the TV commentators seemed to take.

Good on Guilio. I hope the Lions send this to the league.

Guilio asked the Moj what would happen in the NFL and Moj admits a $25,000 fine and a suspension. Right... now do something.

Moj is now running the Wally post game speech.
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Lions4ever wrote:
Solar Max wrote:I also believe that placing someone as inept as Tom Higgins in an important position such as head of officiating is folly, TH. That speaks volumes about the old boys club currently in charge of the CFL.

So, someone besides James Bell, then?
Yes. They have obviously let their history elude them somehow.
xon100
Starter

I thought there should have bene a flag. I had my wife watch the replay after the game, all she could say was "oh my God" and "I thought you weren't allowed to hit a player in the head?"

Hits like that are bad, intentional or not, you can't do that.
Sometimes nothing is a real cool hand.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Questionably the league should do a review and a suspension. Rules are rules and should apply equally regardless. It was clear in the replays Nugent lead with his head.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I have played a hell of a lot of football and believe I know quite abit about it, but I never did really play tackle. So I dont know much about blocking and tackling.

Question for me is, How do you tackle without leading with your head to some degree???
Every day that passes is one you can't get back