RIP: Bob Ackles dead of heart attack

Info and tributes to former Lions who have past away

Moderator: Team Captains

West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

So sad, such a great ambassador the Lions, the league and football in general.

He was such a pleasure to talk with, always open, always a smile, always ready to share a good story.

The league has lost some real giants recently....Annis Stukis, Jackie Parker, Tyrone Jones....none bigger than Bobby though.

Our condolences go out to Kay and the entire Ackles family.
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
David
Team Captain

I am stunned by this news. We have lost a legend; a man who's synonymous with B.C. Lions football. My sincere condolences to his wife Kay and his sons Steve and Scott. This is truly an awful day.

Out of respect, no more posts from me today. Everything else seems so insignificant.

RIP Bob. You were greatly respected and admired by fans of the B.C. Lions and will be missed.

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
SammyGreene
Team Captain

My god, what a tragic loss.

My condolences to the Ackles family and the BC Lions organization

This man was the heart and soul of this franchise and it’s absolutely frightening to think of it without him.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I'm devastated at the passing of Mr. BC Lions Bobby Ackles. My thoughts and prayers are with his family, the Lions organization. Thank you for your endless contribution to the CFL and in particular the BC Lions.
The_Pauser
Legend

Wow...this is really really tragic news. The man was unblieveable. He saved football in BC and I would argue that he played a major role in saving the entire league. But beyond that, he was a great person who loved the game of football and loved his family. 69 is way too young for a great guy like Bob Ackles to go.

It's a sad day in Vancouver, and a sad day in Canada. We'll miss you.
Roar you Lions roar!
Honour Dewalt
Champion

This is so upsetting. I cannot believe this. What an amazing man. So passionate. This is terrible. oh my god. please no...
ThreeTimesOneMinusOne
Champion

I thought my brother was joking when he told me. Nope.

Thank you for all you did, Bobby Ackles. R.I.P. You saved this team.

Also, thanks for acknowledging my loyalty to this club. It means more than being blessed by any Pope.
obs
Champion

Wow, what a shock. This came out of the blue. When I saw the headline of the TSN via an RSS feed, I thought, "No, it can't be BOB Ackles." Took me five minutes to load the page with the article.

RIP.
Blitz
Team Captain

I'm in shock and stunned! I have a lot of great memories of Bobby Ackles. Perhaps my best memories are sitting in the Elks Club in Courtenay having a drink as it was a favorite gathering hole for Ackles and Company and the sportswriters who covered the Leos at the end of a lot of days at training camp, when they Leos held them in Courteany.

I also remember three of us going to Ackles with a proposal to return the Leos to Courtenay for their training camps after they had moved their training camps away from the area, after their Grey Cup win in the 60's. I was a very young kid, playing catch with Willie Fleming, before practice, when Ackles walked over and first spoke to me. Ron Morris was my favorite player. Later, a long number of years since that time, when we approached Bobby, he said he liked the idea of returning to Courtenay, the site of the Leos when they Headhunters had scared the daylights out of opposiiton offences. He had a great memory for names and people. He was all class and always was, whenever I spoke to him, throughout the years.

He returned to his roots here in B.C., revitalized the franchise, made all the key decisons to create a successful franchise again by hiring Buono and creating a winning culture, getting the fans back into B.C. Place, getting the Waterboys started, and creating corporate support. The Leos were OUR Leos again and that was due to his leadership.

Bobby Ackles could have retired easily a long time ago but football was in his blood from his days as a waterboy and equipment manager to becoming the GM here, to making player personell decisons in Texas Stadium and America's team with the Dallas Cowboys. He returned to B.C., rescued the franchise, and wanted to keep on doing what he loved and what he was committed to...making the B.C. Lions the premiere franchise in the CFL and he did that.

It's a very sad day! Bobby Ackles contributions to the CFL and Leos football have been very special and more than noteworthy!
He will be impossible to replace...
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

While I have never had the good fortune to have met Bobby Ackles I have followed the BC Lions since their inception in 1954 and followed his career and was very happy to have received his book as a gift from my wife.

Bobby Ackles may have been a mere inch or so taller than a jockey but it will be the size of his heart and love of the BC Lions that people will remember for many years to come. While most people move on to bigger dreams and bigger jobs and never look back Bobby Ackles never once forgot the BC Lions nor where he came from or who he was and what his values were.

Neither did he need to return to fulfill any incomplete dreams for his own career or enhance his first-class reputation as a leader, football executive or family man. He didn't need to come to what looked like the impossible job of restoring the fan base in a town that went from Lion football as number one sport to where it sadly trailed hockey in interest, sponsors, media and fan following. When Bobby Ackles left for the NFL the Lions were at their zenith in fan and community support and had a good team and coaches on the field. No one could have blamed him if he declined David Braley's offer to take on the huge challenge of regaining the love of Lion football beyond the 17,000 -20,000 or so regulars at BC Place Stadium.

His return to the BC Lions has been remarkable for what this organization has accomplished in restoring the fan base, sponsorships and great BC Lion football. He reinvigorated the alumni and reminded people of the rich history of this team, the franchise and the terrific athletes who have worn a BCLion jersey. He recruited good people to run the football and key organizational roles. He reinspired community support with his Waterboys group that put the BC Lions on equal footing with the local business community.

His life and career has been remarkable from a humble beginning as a volunteer water boy at practices every day to major jobs in the Lions organization where he was offered a major NFL position and left as our must successful BC Lions General Manager. His return was even better in that we knew he didn't need the job but that he did it for the love of the BC Lions, the CFL and this community.

The CFL has lost a legend and a terrific leader and more importantly a good and decent person. However, in all this sadness we can feel good about one thing and that is that we cannot say of Bobby Ackles the words reserved for the loss of exceptional people - "we shall not see his like again" - because we are seeing it every day now in his son Scott who is now President of the Calgary Stampeders and is showing all the skills and attributes of his father now and in the work he did for the BC Lions and as GM of the Grey Cup 2004 and 2005.

While nothing can change how horrifically sad this is for his family, friends, the people in the Lions organization and the players and fans, it can truly be said that Bobby Ackles loved his team, his people, his players and this community, and the CFL, and that he always did his best for his family and for all of us who are just fans. He will never be forgotten as long as the BC Lions and the Canadian Football League continue to thrive. Nothing could be more fitting in his memory for fans to do their part to keep his dream of filling BC Place Stadium for every game and building a CFL that is in the hearts and minds of all Canadians as it was in his.

Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and loved ones. This is a sad day.
Don Miller
Legend

:no: I met Bobby years ago at Empire Stadium and again last year at Ricks Sports and Stuff when he signed two copies of his book for myself and my brother in law. He was a gracious man who would always talk highly of the CFL. The League and especially the Lions will miss Bobby. I hope the team becomes refocused and plays their hearts out for him. He will be missed in so many ways.
Peanut Butter Joe/Willie Show
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I met him twice (both involving him signing copies of the Waterboy). My thoughts are with his family. I feel so fortunate my favourite football team will always be linked to Mr. Ackles
Bosco
Team Captain

A sad, sad day. Everyone is in shock to hear of his passing. Bob Ackles was a pillar of strength and gave his all to the Lions and the CFL.

He will be missed.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I never had the priviledge of meeting Mr Ackles. Don't even know a lot about him. However, I do know just enough to know that his life and presence was a blessing to family, friends, lions football club, the rest of the CFL, lions fans, and the city of Vancouver. A blessing that goes beyond the football field. Mr Ackles will never be forgotten. Clearly a man who lived with honour. I shall drink more than one toast this week to Mr Ackles. Rest in Peace.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Devastating. And shocking. Only 69 years of age. A great loss for all Canadians and football fans everywhere. My condolences to his family.

We have lost a great football man and a great Canadian. A local boy with no pretensions. Who else would not mind being known as "The Waterboy," and see it become a name of pride, shared by some of the most prominent members of our community.

Bob Ackles has been the lifeblood of the Lions in so many ways. He built a powerhouse franchise in the 80s, hiring Don Matthews for his first head coaching gig, one of the arguably 2 most successful coaches in CFL history.

When he thought he was retired after many years in US football circles, David Braley made the most astute hiring, bringing Ackles back to his first football love, the B.C. Lions. Bobby rolled up his sleeves and went to work, bringing a moribund franchise back to life. Ackles then managed to bring Wally Buono over from Calgary, with some help from the hapless F-Troop. Buono is arguably in the same rarified stratosphere as Don Matthews as a coach.

Bob Ackles regenerated my interest in the Lions, first in the 80s, and now again. For his dedication to the Lions, and his many other contributions to our community, I am grateful.

I feel privileged to have had the opportunity to talk with him, to see his most recent Grey Cup ring, and to enjoy the product of his hard work, the success of the Lions from 2003 to the present.

Bob Ackles will be missed. He was a towering figure in British Columbia. God Bless.