Brett Favre Retires at the Age of 38 ... 39 ...

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

After 17 years, Favre retires

Reuters

Published: Tuesday, March 04, 2008

CHICAGO - Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre has decided to retire at the age of 38.

"He has had one of the greatest careers in the history of the National Football League and he is able to walk away from the game on his own terms, not many players are able to do that," general manager Ted Thompson told the team's Web site (http://www.packers.com).

The decision by the Pro Bowl quarterback to end his 17-year career came as something of a shock.

The veteran had strongly hinted he would return for at least one more season after leading the Packers to a 13-3 record and the NFC title game where they lost to the eventual Super Bowl champion New York Giants in overtime.

Favre, who started 275 consecutive regular season and playoff games, broke NFL records in his final campaign for most touchdown passes (442), passing yards (61,655), pass completions (5,377) and games with at least three touchdown passes (63).

"The Packers owe him a tremendous debt of gratitude," Thompson said. "He has given Packers fans wonderful memories, a Super Bowl championship among them, that will live forever.

"Brett's many accomplishments on the field are legendary. He leaves the game holding virtually every career passing record, plus his consecutive starts streak, which may never be duplicated.

"The uniqueness of Brett Favre, his personality, charisma and love of the game, undoubtedly will leave him as one of the enduring figures in NFL history."
Last edited by WestCoastJoe on Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

He left it all on the field, every game.

He played with fire, and he played with the enthusiasm of a kid.

I don't recall ever hearing anyone say anything bad about him.

About the only scandal he ever caused was when he admitted earlier in his career that he had become addicted to pain killers. No surprise there. It is amazing how much pain football players deal with.

One Super Bowl win. Some MVP awards. A bushel full of NFL records. An honoured seat in the NFL Hall of Fame at Canton, Ohio waiting.

Thanks for the memories, Brett. :thup:
Bosco
Team Captain

After playing the "will he or won't he" retirement dance over the past few years, this announcement is quite sudden and surprising. Favre had a terrific 2007 season and he goes out as a true leader and fan favorite.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I was shocked. I was stunned he bothered to come back this year but he obviously had more left than I thought. But the way he lost in playoffs, I thought for sure he'd take one more crack at it (look at the team that beat them). I'm reading a great book right now (I'll get the title posted cuz I think its a good read but I can't spell the authors name off the top of my head). The author thinks Favre is one of the most over-rated QB's ever. I don't agree but just him stating that gives me some ideas about the NFL. I still think the close but no cigar hurts more than never had a chance and thats why I thought Favre was going to take one last kick at the can in 2008.
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

me too i thought he would want to go out on top, he should have signed with the giants last year :P
2012 Season Ticket Holder
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

A shoo in for the Football Hall of Fame
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Here is that book that has Favre as one of the top five OVER-RATED QB's :shock:

The Paolantonio report : the most overrated and underrated players, teams, coaches, and moments in NFL history /

I'm enjoying this book and not because I agree with all the things the author states. This guy takes a lot of pokes at a lot of NFL 'legends' that maybe not all they are made up to be. For example, yes the 72 Dolphins went undefeated BUT they did so against teams with a sub .400 winning percentage (I heard this fact also during the Superbowl Pre-hype). If you follow NFL-football give this book a look. I still am on the Favre bandwagon but he brings up some good points.
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

Wow, at 38 he would be just coming into his prime as a CFL QB. :wink:

All kidding aside, BF was probably the best "gunslinger" QB I've ever seen. Would he be in my top 3? Probably not, but he would be one of the first guys I would build a team around for his heart, leadership, desire and durability.
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I caught most of Favre's press conference on the Score (they may replay later). I thought there might be a Jordan-type retirement. Now I don't think so. Favre has spent a lot more time preparing for games and I think it's lost its sheen (playing football). One reporter said So whatta going to do
Favre responded "Nothing"
In other words he's looking forward to doing nothing. It just really sounded like the stresses that come with being an NFL QB are finally tipping in the 'its not worth it' favour.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:I caught most of Favre's press conference on the Score (they may replay later).
It was a great interview, notahomer. Favre was like he always is. Honest. Straight-shooting. It was very interesting.

He talked about how he has changed. When he was younger, he had no fears. Bring it on, he thought. And that attitude really helped him succeed in the face of huge pressures. He is not sure he could do it now, knowing how difficult things actually are. Towards the end of his career, more and more, he felt the weight of everyone's expectations. He was his own tough act to follow.

He talked about the importance of charity activities, etc.

I've gotta say I was very impressed. He is a great role model for kids. Leaving the game, making that decision, was not easy, but, like he said, he left on his own terms. So few athletes do that.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
notahomer wrote:I caught most of Favre's press conference on the Score (they may replay later).
It was a great interview, notahomer. Favre was like he always is. Honest. Straight-shooting. It was very interesting.
I've gotta say I was very impressed. He is a great role model for kids. Leaving the game, making that decision, was not easy, but, like he said, he left on his own terms. So few athletes do that.
I thought it was great interview too. It certainly cleared up any 'is he coming back in July thoughts' I had. I just got the impression he may have been successful last season but he was able to do so by not being the Brett Favre that he used to be. Watching video, worrying about opponents, not being just one of the guys. I respect him for having the insight into himself and calling it a career.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

With his single championship in Super Bowl XXXI, Brett Favre avoided the same fate as Dan Marino. I guess there were two things missing to his trophy case in his fine career: 1) He was not selected as Super Bowl XXXI MVP, and 2) Despite being selected to the Pro Bowl nine times, he was never selected as Pro Bowl MVP.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Bosco wrote:After playing the "will he or won't he" retirement dance over the past few years, this announcement is quite sudden and surprising. Favre had a terrific 2007 season and he goes out as a true leader and fan favorite.
It might not be quite done yet (Favre's career). I think the itch is happening and according to one media scribe when asked Favre left the door open (if there's injuries to Packer QB's in early season I know the system...). Favre is the one who knows for sure but I really thought he was done based on the 'retirement interview'. Maybe this is just media trolling for stories but until we get a month into the season with no Favre...
notahomer
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote: ...I thought it was great interview too. It certainly cleared up any 'is he coming back in July thoughts' I had. ... I respect him for having the insight into himself and calling it a career.
Well, I REALLY wrong on this one. This is a strange one all around. Favre IS going to be on the Madden 09 (with it's accompanying 'curse'). I thought it strange a retired player would be on the cover but now it seems he doesn't want to be retired. It is so easy for me to understand all sides in this one. There is an obvious struggle to get away from Football for some players but I just think everyone loses in this one.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

I still don't understand how you get " Farve" from FAVRE ????????????? :shock: