Gridiron Master boardgame

Got em, Need em, Find em, Get em!

Moderator: Team Captains

LFITQ
Team Captain

I just recently found out about a board game called "Gridiron Master". It is a boardgame which combines Chess with football. And here's the real kicker - it has it's own CANADIAN version of the game.

And it is a truly Canadian version as the Canadian version is not just some painted on special rules on an american board - the board actually has a 55 yardline and is wider. If you see the 2 boxes together you will note there is a HUGE size difference.

I picked my copy up this weekend in Richmond. I did show a few people at the tailgate this past weekend.

I'm just trying to decipher the rules and figure it all out before playing it for real and giving it a rating, but I was wondering if there was anyone else on here that has it or has played it that could possibly answer a few questions?

The website is http://www.gridironmaster.com

It is endorsed by the CFLPA.

You can find it on Boardgamegeek.com at this link.

The board is beautifully made with some great looking pieces and is SOLID. Gameplay seems to be pretty good at first glance, but I need to play it a bit more to get a real feel.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
lion24
Legend

I just picked up the game as well but, like you, I am trying to figure out the rules!! The game seems like it will be fun though :thup:
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
LFITQ
Team Captain

I've posted a few questions with some rule clarifications on boardgamegeek.com.

I think I pretty much have it figured out now. Just gotta find someone else interested in playing ...

"Oh honey ... whatcha doin ...." 8)

But if you have any questions, let me know and we might be able to figure out some of the stuff together.
lion24
Legend

LFITQ wrote:I've posted a few questions with some rule clarifications on boardgamegeek.com.

I think I pretty much have it figured out now. Just gotta find someone else interested in playing ...

"Oh honey ... whatcha doin ...." 8)

But if you have any questions, let me know and we might be able to figure out some of the stuff together.
Good, then I can bug you if I can't figure it out :thup: :wink:
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

Wow, that looks awesome! I'd love to play this game.
lion24
Legend

Hey Ken, we talked about discussing this stuff on here so here is another question on the game, on pg 28 BEHIND the O-LOS it states that "defensive player pieces are allowed to rush an/or tackle an offensive player that is positioned behind the O-LOS but must first make a move to be positioned on or behind the O-LOS.

Does this mean once the ball is snapped to the qb or rb I cannot make my first defensive move with my safety(queen),defensive back(bishop) to immediately tackle the qb or rb and that I first have to reach the line of scrimmage, stop, and then only on my next move tackle the player behind the LOS?
LFITQ
Team Captain

Does this mean once the ball is snapped to the qb or rb I cannot make my first defensive move with my safety(queen),defensive back(bishop) to immediately tackle the qb or rb and that I first have to reach the line of scrimmage, stop, and then only on my next move tackle the player behind the LOS?
That is how I interpreted it. For every "blitzing" player that is lined up behind the D-LOS they have to first establish themselves on the LOS and then can rush/tackle offensive players.
lion24
Legend

LFITQ wrote:
That is how I interpreted it. For every "blitzing" player that is lined up behind the D-LOS they have to first establish themselves on the LOS and then can rush/tackle offensive players.
Thanks again LFITQ!! Maybe by the time I make my next trip to Vancouver for a game I will be an expert and can take you on??!! :wink:
lion24
Legend

I also just realized you had said that once I announce I am throwing I have to announce which receiver I am throwing to? I cannot pick from ALL open receivers to throw to; it has to be the ONE specific receiver?
LFITQ
Team Captain

lion24 wrote:I also just realized you had said that once I announce I am throwing I have to announce which receiver I am throwing to? I cannot pick from ALL open receivers to throw to; it has to be the ONE specific receiver?
Yep. You have to specify which receiver you are passing to.

Page 31 of the rulebook says:
"The QB... can pass the football from the OLOS or behind by saying 'passing to X player piece'..."

Treat it like this - it is the QB looking at his receiver and puttin ghis arm in motion.

If a defensive player elects to "tackle" the QB, it doesn't matter because the ball is considered "in the air". So it makes no sense for a defensive player to commit to tackle the QB now.
LFITQ
Team Captain

A few other questions that have come up:
[hr][hr]
1. Can the receivers run through a defensive back down the field to get a pass or does it have to be in only the FREE peg holes around and past the defensive players?

No. Just like in chess, you cannot "move through" players. The only pieces that can do this are the knights as they are "jumping over" the opposition pieces. You can only move along the lines of "free" peg holes.
[hr]
2. Sort of the same thing, but can the defensive players on the same team run through each other to make a stop ar tackle or do they also have to run around the peg holes occupied by their teammates?

Yep pretty much the same answer as the first one. If there is a person in the way, they impede your progress. Regardless of team.
[hr]
3. If you block a defensive back downfield with a receiver, do you remove that defensive player piece?

I believe that receivers are not allowed to block downfield until after the ball has crossed the line of scrimmage. They can block in the offensive backfield, but I don't believe they can block downfield as that would be akin to offensive pass interference. Or even illegal blocking. However, once the ball has crossed the line of scrimmage then it would be allowed.

Page 29 of the rule book states: "the offensive player piece with the poseesion of the flat-piece football must be positioned on or beyond the D-LOS."

[hr]
4. Is it true that announcing a throw is considered a move, then the next move would go to the defensive player, followed by the next move involving a completion/interception/incompletion and then finally if completed the next move to the defensive player to attempt a tackle?

Yes Offence announces they are going to throw the ball and to whom they are throwing.
Defence then gets a chance to move a DB into position to try and A)intercept or B) knock it down.
Offence then puts the flat football piece into the receiver's head (assuming it is completed).
Defence then gets a move to try and tackle the receiver.

[hr]
lion24
Legend

LFITQ wrote:A few other questions that have come up:
[hr][hr]
1. Can the receivers run through a defensive back down the field to get a pass or does it have to be in only the FREE peg holes around and past the defensive players?

No. Just like in chess, you cannot "move through" players. The only pieces that can do this are the knights as they are "jumping over" the opposition pieces. You can only move along the lines of "free" peg holes.
The only exception would be the knights(tight end/outside linebackers) piece that CAN jump over players in the way?
LFITQ
Team Captain

Yep, just like the answer says.. ;)
The only pieces that can do this are the knights as they are "jumping over" the opposition pieces.
lion24
Legend

LFITQ wrote:Yep, just like the answer says.. ;)
The only pieces that can do this are the knights as they are "jumping over" the opposition pieces.
Very smooth Ken!! :wink: