Can a coach call a last second time out like that in the CFL

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

120dB
Legend

Holy cow, what a Monday Night game tonight! The Buffalo coach called a last second, an absolute last second, time out to nix one of those last two Dallas 53 yard field goals.

How's the rule in the CFL? Can a coach call a last second, absolute last second, time out, to nix an absolute last second field goal? The commentator mentioned it's a stupid rule in the NFL and I agree.

Can a CFL coach pull a stunt like that? wow that was unbelievable! And he nails BOTH, not just one, BOTH 53 yard FGs nicely down the middle.

And congratulations to those Buffalo fans! What fan support! If only we could borrow 20,000 of you for the Western Final.

They said that about one quarter of the Bills fans are from Ontario. Now we know where all the fans aren't during an Argos game
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

It was a great game and yes, in the CFL any player on the field or the head coach can call a last-second timeout to any official on the field. In the CFL, though, a team has just one timeout per half.
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

That was a pretty wild finish. Props to Nick Folk for nailing both those kicks.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Last second time outs are nothing new. It's been done numerous times.
nelson95
Legend

Cheap play
Made me glad that the Cowboys won

5 Ints?
Romo is the new FAVRE
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
Soundy
Hall of Famer

I watched it on assorted different highlight packages on various channels, but somehow I'm not quite grasping what the big deal is with what went down tonight... can someone clarify please?
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I agree. I guess the NFL don't get too many last minute victories, especially on Monday Night Football.
Tighthead
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:I agree. I guess the NFL don't get too many last minute victories, especially on Monday Night Football.
Missing the two points to tie, recovering the onside with no timeouts, getting in field goal position, and having a rookie kicker nail a 53 yarder twice is just ho hum?

Doesn't really matter if you are convinced that the NFL is dull.
jkraftchick
prospect

9 points scored in the last 20 seconds, a failed 2 point conversion to tie the game followed by an onside kick recovery, a loss of 7 seconds after a pass was ruled incomplete on a challenge, then Nick Folk had to nail 2 field goals from 53 yards out. One of the most exciting game finishes I have seen in either league.
Shaggy
Starter

Yeah, it was an exciting finish...on one the better MNF games in a while now.

I thought the Cowboys were lucky with the onside kickoff. The clock didn't start and they only took 2 seconds off. It looked like more than that to have the ball kicked, touched to make it live, then bounce around before it was finally covered up....

But, hey, you make your breaks.... it was a good game to watch to the very end.
Tighthead
Legend

The clock doesn't start til the ball is touched, so Dallas may have gotten a bit of a break there, but only a second or two. Curtis jumped on the ball quickly. Dallas may have also gotten hosed on the decision to revierw the Owens catch - they spiked the ball pretty quick and then the refs went into review mode. I think they had a decent argument that they got the play off first.
swervin
Rookie

120dB wrote:
They said that about one quarter of the Bills fans are from Ontario. Now we know where all the fans aren't during an Argos game
Who said that? I think thats a gross overestimate. I would say 10% at most. Those fans that snub the Argos and drive down to watch the bills never have and probably never would go to see a CFL game, regardless of the bills being in close proximity.
Dan Russell
Legend

We all found out why Buffalo is on MNF every 13 years. Anyways Dallas was the one that was on MNF, not Buffalo.