Luongo's new mask

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff17 ... -59190.jpg

Luongo's new mask
JOHNNY CANUCK

Luongo said ever since he arrived in Vancouver he's been a big fan of Johnny Canuck, created as a lumberjack national personification of Canada. Luongo wanted that as his primary mark on his new mask.

"I tried to make it intimidating with his face," he said. "It came out pretty nice."

Ross knew she wanted a mustache, a hat and a beard on the Johnny Canuck figure, but had to use her imagination for his face. It jets out of the mask with a 3-D effect.

"He's got some attitude, doesn't he?" she said.

THE MOUNTAINS

Luongo wanted a more accurate depiction of the Vancouver mountains and Ross gave him just that with her artwork.

Working off a postcard she painted snow-capped images of the North Shore mountains.

"They are the actual mountains this time," Ross said.

THE HARBOUR CENTRE AND SKYLINE

Luongo had to have something that said "Vancouver" and what better way than the city's most-notable skyscraper?

"I wanted that tower there this year, even though it wasn't there last year," Luongo said.

Ross said she didn't know the name of the building, but was able to track it down on the Internet.

"I had to do some research on that one," she said. "The only times I've been to Vancouver I haven't left the airport."

THE SKATES

When Luongo told Ross he wanted skates, she first drew modern skates at the bottom of his mask.

"I was not really thinking of the old style," Ross said. "But when I showed Roberto he said, 'No no, I really want them to look vintage with two tones -- black and brown.'"

THE PINK PANTHER TAIL

For the first time since 2000, Luongo's mask this year won't have Pink Panther tail. He kept it last year even though it was something from his Florida days because he still wanted to connect to his roots.

But this year he said: "It's time to move on."

THE LOGOS

The ultimate franchise homage would be to have all the old logos on the mask. It didn't quite work exactly how Ross wanted, but she was able to paint some of the team's old primary marks.

"I was trying to put them in a certain order," Ross said. "Obviously, they're not in order. I came up a bit short there, but we won't talk about that."
Since I am a big fan of the Johnny Canuck logo, I am rather happy that Luongo is keeping its spirit alive too. Since Luongo basically owns the Canucks now, perhaps they should let him decide the logo for the jersey. j/k ... sort of ...
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

not a very clear representation of the mask, but the only one I could find with a Google search ...
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:not a very clear representation of the mask, but the only one I could find with a Google search ...
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

i like it
2012 Season Ticket Holder
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

If only management can replace that constipated Orca with Johnny Canuck. :lol:
MacNews
Team Captain

Not a big fan, but I am not Luongo. I'm sure the mask looks better when you get a full view of it.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Snagged from another board:

(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
Dan Russell
Legend

That picture has an strange blue tinge to it so it makes the Mask color not apparent.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

(\__/)
Dan Russell
Legend

Those are the clear pictures. :thup:
MacNews
Team Captain

Thanks nice pics soundy, what is the green there, trees?
smphantom
Legend

He should be more concerned about some throat protection for the mask. :lol:

PS - It's OK Robbie, we have enough pictures of the mask.
Stay thirsty my friends.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

MacNews wrote:Thanks nice pics soundy, what is the green there, trees?
If you mean the thing on Johnny Canuck's face in the last one, that's just a reflection of something, it's not actually ON the mask.
(\__/)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Great pix.

Thanks, Soundy.
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

Great pics. Love it.
"I hope he enjoys Stornoway and I hope he's happy there for a long time"

-Prime Minister Harper on new Liberal Leader St?phane Dion