Beckham will not play again till next season

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

120dB
Legend

SportsNet reports Beckham will not play again till next season

I hope the Whitecaps will do the honorable thing and cancel the game till next season when Beckham and the Galaxy and the Whitecaps players will all be interested in doing this and most importantly, be in game shape:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2007/09/ ... am_father/
kx96

there's no quote from anyone regarding whether he will play or not is there?
120dB
Legend

quote? It says plain and clear below the photo.

We're done. Toast. Turn off the lights. Close the curtains. Goodnight Irene. Tha game ain't happening.

And furthermore, I feel the Whitecaps are doing a disservice to the fans who've purchased tickets to see him to still play this game with him coming off an injury and clearly not being in game shape, not to mention all the other players who will likely not be in game shape either.

The Whitecaps will still probably try to play this event cause they've sold 50,000 tickets. I feel a full effort with a healthy player is better than a half effort just for the sake of having the event.

The contract says he has to play 45 minutes. With the money many have shelled out to see him, we want to see a 90 minute effort, not him leaving the game after 45 minutes cause his knee is sore.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Golleeee ...

That is just a shame. :sleep:

Poor Beckham. How many games did he have to play in North America?
2? or 3? Do half-games or partial games count?

$10, 000, 000 for 3 games. Awesome.

In my view, Beckham is a good division I player, no more.

But he a genius (as is his wife) at marketing and promotion.

If I had received a courtesy free ticket to his ballyhooed, maybe appearance in Vancouver I would have given it to charity.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Beckham has hurried back to London because his father has suffered a heart attack.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070927/wl ... khampeople
120dB
Legend

My understanding is the game in Vancouver will go ahead but Beckham will not return for any more Galaxy games before the end of the regular season. Even though L.A. won tonight, there's little chance they'll make the playoffs. Therefore, their season probably ends October 21.

The Caps - Galaxy game will then go ahead about first week of November.