Psychology and Superstition in Sports

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.psychologyofsports.com/guest/20061008.htm
Psychology of Sports

Mind Games

Oct 8 2006

Ruben Brown was a wide-eyed Buffalo Bills rookie in 1995 when he heard the sounds of retching in the locker room bathroom before a game.

Brown figured one or two of his teammates were battling a case of nerves, or perhaps a tainted helping from the pregame buffet.

It turned out Bills quarterback Jim Kelly and offensive lineman Glenn Parker were forcing themselves to throw up.

"If they didn't puke before a game, they didn't feel right about going out there," Brown said.

That ritual is among the most outlandish of the NFL's many examples of superstitions, the pregame rites and routines that help put players' minds at ease before games.

Major League Baseball players, who compete almost every day and seek to maintain a good rhythm over the course of the season, are said to be more superstitious as a whole. But NFL players are not far behind.

"It's a coping mechanism to deal with the pressure to succeed," sports psychologist Richard Lustberg said. "They begin to believe – they in fact want to believe – that their routine of choice is enhancing their performance. In reality, it's just practice and confidence that make them perform better."

Superstitious routines can have a cyclical effect on an athlete, Lustberg said. If the player thinks a positive performance stems from a certain superstition, he will repeat the act and possibly derive increased confidence from doing it.

That increased confidence, Lustberg said, often allows the player to perform at a higher level than he would otherwise.

"Then, all of a sudden, you end up being successful," Lustberg said. "It's not what you wear under your jersey. It's not what you eat before the game. It's the belief that you will succeed."

Players prefer not to analyze their superstitions in such a manner. They just know what they do works, at least often enough.

So Bears quarterback Rex Grossman always eats a hamburger the night before a game and makes sure to shower between pregame warmups and kickoff.

Wide receiver Airese Currie, now on injured reserve and out for the season, dresses for games the same way every week – pants, socks and shoes, then undershirt, jersey and shoulder pads.

Once, at Clemson, Currie had to wait while a team staff member fetched him some socks after he soiled a pair during warmups on a rain-drenched field. The delay took a while, but Currie sat in his locker stall in nothing but his pants because he refused to don any other piece of clothing before the socks.

The Bears' tight ends have dined together the night before games this season. The outings are partly about fostering camaraderie, but John Gilmore said there is an element of superstition to them as well.

"If we lost, we'd have to think about whether we want to keep doing it," Gilmore said. "Maybe we'd take a week off or something."

Players, though, almost universally stick with their superstitions even after a few bad performances. It might take a long string of losses or a severe downturn in performance for them to change.

Detroit Lions cornerback Dre Bly personally washes his car the day before every home game and said the team's frequent losing the last few seasons has not weaned him off the habit.

Bly said the only way he would consider changing his routine is if he gets seriously hurt or has such a bad game that "it's just embarrassing how much I stunk."

"It's something that starts to get me in a good state of mind for the game," Bly said. "I don't worry that if we lose, I should stop doing it. It's kind of part of my preparation. It's like if you tell me we lose, that means I should stop practicing or working out during the week."

Maintaining some superstitions requires work throughout the week. Minnesota Vikings quarterback Brad Johnson wears the same undershirt before every practice during a particular season – which, of course, requires somebody to wash it every day.

Johnson does not usually do any of his own laundry, but he makes an exception if his shirt needs cleaning.

"Then I'll throw it in the machine at home, even if there's nothing else in the [laundry] basket," he said. "Strange but true."

Other superstitions take effect only in the hours leading up to a game. Bears wide receiver Rashied Davis does exactly 10 laps around the field during warmups, starting at a moderate pace and accelerating each time until he builds to a jog before slowing back down to a walk

Bly, meanwhile, refuses to walk under the goal posts before any game.

"It's kind of like not walking under a ladder, I guess," he said.

Certain positions may be more likely than others to spawn superstitious players. Minnesota's Johnson thinks quarterbacks and kickers are usually the most superstitious because they are on the spot the most during the course of a game.

"We're in the spotlight," Johnson said. "It's not like we have any more pressure on us than anyone else, because everyone is responsible when a team wins or loses.

"But we're the ones who, if we mess up, everyone is likely to notice and be talking about it the next day. I think that maybe makes us more [inclined] to be [superstitious]."

Wide receivers might muff a catch out in the open, Johnson said, but they usually have a pretty good alibi.

"They can just blame the quarterback," he quipped, "not their bad luck."

Players who are not superstitious might find certain pregame rituals peculiar, but they avoid making fun of players who buy into the powers of whichever routine.

Bears safety Mike Brown said as long as a player's pregame habits do not interfere with anyone else in the locker room, it is nobody else's business.

"Whatever they need to do to get ready to play," Brown said. "I don't do anything special, but in the time leading up to that final get-together in the middle of the [locker] room, you're pretty much in your own little world. If guys do [adhere to a superstition], I probably wouldn't even notice, and I'm sure I wouldn't care."

It is hard to find any player who once was superstitious but no longer is. Players either are, or they are not.

Ruben Brown, back in the day with the Bills, never considered joining Kelly and Parker in pregame vomit sessions. The 12-year veteran said too many variants exist in the week-to-week life of an NFL player to think superstitions make a difference.

"Too much changes," Brown said. "It's not worth getting your hopes up or hanging your hat on any kind of magic or karma or anything."

* Nick Hut is a sportswriter for the NorthWest News Group. Write to him at nhut@nwnewsgroup.com.

OUT THERE

Five sportsmen famous for being superstitious

1. Kevin Rhomberg, MLB

In a short stint with the Cleveland Indians in the early 1980s, Rhomberg drove teammates and opponents crazy with his bizarre need to touch any person who had touched him. If tagged while on base, Rhomberg would wait until the end of the inning and then chase down the infielder and touch him before he reached the dugout.

2. Pelle Lindbergh, NHL

The late Philadelphia Flyers goalie wore the same old orange T-shirt from a Swedish sporting goods company under his equipment. If it began to fall apart, he asked someone to sew it back up. He refused to drink anything other than a Swedish beverage called Pripps in between periods and would only take a sip if there were exactly two ice cubes in the cup.

3. Wade Boggs, MLB

The Hall of Fame third baseman was known as the "Chicken Man" because he would eat poultry before every game. Among many other compulsions, he took exactly 150 ground balls during infield practice and wrote the Hebrew word for "life" into the dirt of the batter's box before each at-bat.

4. Turk Wendell, MLB

The journeyman reliever became famous for brushing his teeth between innings. He chewed four sticks of licorice while pitching, then sprinted back to the dugout after the third out – making sure to leap over the baseline – and go straight for his toothbrush. He repeated that routine every time he pitched.

5. Mark Fidrych, MLB

"The Bird" could pitch, but he also became a cult figure for a routine that included talking to the ball on a regular basis while on the mound.

COMMON SUPERSTITIONS

Baseball

* Spitting into your hand before picking up the bat.

* Sticking a wad of gum on your hand.

* Stepping on one of the bases before running off the field at the end of an inning.

Basketball

* Being the last person to shoot a basket during warm-ups.

* Wiping the soles of your sneakers.

Football

* Seeking out a uniform with double numbers (e.g. 22).

* Avoiding taking a new number when going to another team.

Hockey

* Avoiding saying "shutout" in the dressing room before a game.

* Tapping the goalie on his shin pads for good luck.
While I was digging up some information on Airese Currie, I came across this amusing article on the superstitions of athletes.

I remember reading that Phil Esposito would not allow anyone to cross hockey sticks in the dressing room. Some baseball players would always take the same subway or bus combination to the ball park. In hockey, some player had to be the first (or last) one on or off the ice, etc.

In baseball, don't talk to the pitcher throwing a no-hitter.

What are the most unusual superstitions you have heard about?
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

When Joe Torre managed the Atlanta Braves to their record 13-game season-opening winning streak in 1982, it was revealed that he wore (and washed!) the same pair of underwear for every game of the streak.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

No sex before games. Orgy after.....
Robbie
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:What are the most unusual superstitions you have heard about?
Well, this is one that I mentioned on many other threads before. In the NHL, it is bad luck to touch the semi-final/conference championship trophies.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Same applies to the Super Bowl and Grey Cup
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

yup
2012 Season Ticket Holder
GeroySimonFAN
All Star

Jason Terry of the Dallas Mavericks wears the opposing teams SHORTS to bed the night before he faces that team...i was reading an article and he has quite the collection...something like 22 other teams shorts, he gets them off the opposing players somehow.
Bosco
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote:When Joe Torre managed the Atlanta Braves to their record 13-game season-opening winning streak in 1982, it was revealed that he wore (and washed!) the same pair of underwear for every game of the streak.
Speaking of the 1982 Atlanta Braves - the Braves "mascot" during those less than politically correct times, was an American Indian warrior dubbed Chief Nocahoma (a play on "Knock-a-homer"). The Chief had a giant teepee beyond the center field fence and would perform a ritual dance whenever the Braves knocked a homer. :roll: As the Braves continued to win through April and May, ticket demand increased. Team owner Ted Turner saw this is an opportunity to add additional seats throughout the ballpark - including the area taken up by the Chief. With the Chief now homeless, the Braves coincidently hit a losing streak through June and July. Many fans felt that the losing streak could be blamed on the decision to evict the Chief. Only after pleas by Braves fans to return the Chief (and his teepee) to its' former "home" did the losing streak end.

Atlanta won the National League West in 1982, but lost in the Championship Series round to the St. Louis Cardinals.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I think Rex Grossman needs to find some new rituals. One thing that has gotten some scientific backing (but others say is hogwash) is the hyperbaric (spelling :oops: ) chamber that gained some fame. I have wondered if it helped or if it was just the belief that it helped, that helped.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Rituals and superstitions are complete and utter nonsense. They are crap. garbage. Like those stupid hockey playoff beards. Grow up.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

I do not know if this is a superstition among athletes - can anyone confirm?

Since the number 13 is considered an unlucky number in many cultures, do players refrain from wearing that number?

Are there any famous athletes wearing #13?

The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Teemu Selanne, who wore it when he won rookie of the year with the Winnipeg Jets. But he now wears #8 with Anaheim.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Many athletes refrain from wearing number 13. Others go right after it, and choose to wear it.

Some athletes that have worn number 13:

Wilt Chamberlain.

Steve Nash.

[quote] Steve Nash on Leadership---“I don’t mind at all taking responsibility for a loss, but I do mind not giving myself and my team any chance to win,â€
Last edited by WestCoastJoe on Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Some better known Lions to wear #13:

Tom Europe
Khari Jones
Chris Major
Spergon Wynn
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Wikipedia

In Scotland, there is no terminal 13 in any airport, instead there is a terminal 12B.

Some airplanes skip a row 13, going straight from 12 to 14.

Some tall buildings have resorted to skipping the "thirteenth floor", either by numbering it "14" or as "12a".

Some streets do not contain a house number 13.

The Code of Hammurabi, a collection of laws created ca. 1760 BC, does not contain a thirteenth law.

On the 13th day of the Persian new year (Norouz), people consider staying at home unlucky, and go outside for a picnic in order to ward off the bad luck.

Most race car drivers consider 13 a very unlucky number, as a car carrying that number has never won the Indianapolis 500 or a NASCAR Nextel Cup race, and almost all Formula 1 teams are no longer given the number 13 when car numbers are given out to teams on basis of points. Usually the team finishing seventh in the previous year's championship will take numbers 14 and 15, instead of 13 and 14. Only once in recent years (1991, Ricky Johnson) has an AMA Motocross rider chosen #13 instead of #14. Some NASCAR tracks refuse to have a pit stall #13.

At the Universal Studios sound stages in California, there is no sound stage numbered 13.

Microsoft plans to skip Office 13 for being "an unlucky number," going directly from Office 12 to Office 14. [1]
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Wikipedia

Also, FIBA rules require a player to wear the number in international competitions (only numbers from 4 to 15 could be worn, and as there are 12 players, one must wear 13);

Chris Mullin, who wore #20 in college and #17 in the NBA, wore #13 for both (1984 and 1992) of his Olympic appearances.

Shaquille O'Neal wore #13 in 1996,

Tim Duncan wore #13 in 2004.