HELP ME....before I blow a wad of cash!

Got em, Need em, Find em, Get em!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

This is such a tough call. It would appear as though an authentic Don Moorhead Lions helmet has surfaced and is up for sale on Ebay:

Don Moorhead helmet

The problem is, it's extremely tough to tell for sure. In looking over photographic evidence, it's definitely not a 1972 helmet (as the sellers claims) as the bars he wore across his helmet that year were different. It could be a 1974 or 1975 helmet as shown here:

Don Moorhead program

The striping seems accurate as does the numbering. The only concern I have with it is that it doesn't appear as shiny as the photos I have, and the position of the logo on Ebay seems to face "up" whereas the programs and yearbooks show it more or less facing straight across or even slightly down.

The caution flags really went up when I read this from the seller:
seller wrote:....I just got this at a garage sale, the woman told me it was her nephew's and he played football in Canada
The seller is from Michigan and I have reason to suspect that Don ended up back there. But to contribute such a valuable collectible to dear old auntie's garage sale seems a bit much.

Any help as to it's authenticity would really be appreciated. I think this is going to sell for big bucks.

Where's Robbie when you need him? :sigh:

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
LFITQ
Team Captain

The best pic I have is of a 1977 helmet and by the looks of it, the logo is not painted on. However that is 5 years later so I'm not sure.

Your question about the positioning of the logo is legit. It does look to be on the wrong angle and for a painted on logo that may be a large issue.

Sorry I couldn't be much more helpful to you ...
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
David
Team Captain

Thanks Ken. Yea, I guess the best policy when it comes to Ebay is "when in doubt, don't bid." By the same token though, I'd hate to miss out on something so rare if it is legit.

I suppose the only one who'd really know for sure is Don Moorhead himself. The helmet certainly looks old enough and shows the requisite scuff marks.

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
OrangeShoes99
Hall of Famer

Regardless, it would be a nice addition to any collection. Just a matter of what you pay for it if it's not real.
http://www.cflfansfightcancer.com :: Ask me how you can help us raise money for Cancer research and treatment on behalf of CFL fans.
nelson95
Legend

Well I have a Jim Young one sitting in my living room but with orange stripes and bars
Same emblem
I think its 1977

But that one looks legit to me
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

How are they wanting payment? You may be able to get yourself some protection through Ebay or even Visa if you use it to pay Paypal. Probably the best thing to do would be to arrange for escrow. The money is held in trust pending independent authentication by you upon receiving the helmut. If it is legit, the seller should have no problem doing this. If it isn't, they will probably say "no way" in which case you say "no thanks". Either way, you insure you get what you pay for.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

I picked up the BC Lions bobblehead (paw print on the helmet) at a flea market, yesterday.

There was a neat Bomber bobblehead as well.......a football, laying flat, with a player's helmeted head sticking out of one end.......it had a Winnipeg Football club logo with an airplane.........it was $45 if anyone (Dale?) would like me to pick it up for them.......just PM me.

There were a number of Lions old progams as well.......one with Don Moorehead (although different then the ebay program) on the cover and one with Ted Gerela......again, if interested, PM me.
Lloyd
David
Team Captain

A) I can confirm that, yes, the helmet was legit.

B) I got outbid. :x

The final selling price? $3,268 US. :shock: Not bad ROI for someone from a garage sale pick-up in Livonia Michigan.

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Bosco
Team Captain

David wrote: The final selling price? $3,268 US. :shock:
DH 8)
Wow, that is indeed high rent! :shock: Oh well, it was worth a look.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Who would pay that much for an old Morehead helmut??

Yikes.
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

David wrote:A) I can confirm that, yes, the helmet was legit.

B) I got outbid. :x

The final selling price? $3,268 US. :shock: Not bad ROI for someone from a garage sale pick-up in Livonia Michigan.

DH 8)
The questions I have is how did you determine it was legit? Also, how much did you get outbid by? I mean, it doesn't play music at loud levels, nor purr at 6,000rpm when punching down into second.
nelson95
Legend

Guess I should insure mine...
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

nelson95 wrote:Guess I should insure mine...
cool.. how did you get that Nelson?

Svenska-Flicka just told me that her Mom has a ball that Joe Kapp signed and personally gave her in 1964! .. it's still inflated too.. that must be a sweet prize no?
nelson95
Legend

Inheirited so to speak
Give the ball to LeeRoy!