Rugby World Cup Thread

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Tighthead
Legend

We are now only a month out. Is anyone else going to be following this? I am still trying to figure out my viewing options with Shaw and broadband. Not having it on Sportsnet is a real loss for rugby fans, and won't help to grow the game in Canada.

Canada will need good showings against Wales and Fiji. Their chances are much better than 2003, when they took an incredibly old squad over and were outclassed. I am a little nervous about the prop selections, but I think we have more punch in our backs than we have in quite some time.
nelson95
Legend

The channel from Ireland that has all the rights is free on Shaw 138 currently but only til Sept 7, right before the tourny. :bang:

I may buy it. I'm interested in games other than Canada who will finish 1-3. :sigh:

I'll have to figure out times and cost to see if its worth it.
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
Tighthead
Legend

Canada has a decent shot against Fiji, and a puncher's chance against Wales, who have had some bad injury luck.

I am still on old school cable and I don't think I want to pay for the digital box etc to get the Setanta channel, which will be showing some games on tape delay. The IRB kind of pulled an NHL decision - they took the money and gave up exposure.
LFITQ
Team Captain

Ok you guys...

some of us don't follow it at all and may be interested.

So let us know when what and where...

Let some of us complete noobs know more about it and what you are talking about. This Rugby thing is a pretty new sport isn't it? I mean it hasn't been around as long as the CFL ... 8)
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Tighthead
Legend

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com

I think the games start September 8th or so. Canada is in a pool with Australia (L), Wales (likely L), Fiji (?) and Japan (W).

When rugby was still in the amateur/shamateur era, Canada was known for tough forwards, and could give most teams a game and pick off some big scalps. In 1991 I believe, they lost to the All Blacks in a WC quarter final by an approximate score of 27-13, and the Parisien crowd went nuts for Canada.

The era of professionalism has really hurt countries like Canada that lack depth and a domestic professional league. The gap between Canada and the top teams is now huge.
nelson95
Legend

We were stuck in the group of death in 95 nd gave eventual champ South Africa their toughest game of the tourny. Of course they didn't poison Canad's food...
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
Tighthead
Legend

Nelson - SA won one of their games (semi or final, not sure) in OT. If it had been tied after two OTs, I think they would have lost as the tiebreaker was red cards, and Scott Stewart got into a punch up and got at least one Bok booted. That was the game that started late due to a power outage, I think.
nelson95
Legend

Won final in OT---but not a great game
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
Tighthead
Legend

Canada v. Wales Sunday at 5 am on Sportsnet.

A win for Canada would be a major upset, but Wales has some injuries. Watch the game to see how rugby rules evolved into football.
nelson95
Legend

Sentanta is free on 138 Shaw til the start of the tourny
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
Tighthead
Legend

Let's keep preaching Nelson...
LFITQ
Team Captain

Sentanta?

Plus I don't get 138 Shaw. Nothing shows up on my digital cable box.

5am on Sunday? With a Lions game at 9:30am (pregame)?? Not sure I can do that. 8)
Tighthead
Legend

The Canada games are on plain old sportsnet. Get up at 5, its over by 7

Sunday is a triple header for me - Canada, Lions, Cowboys at night. Unfortunately I have a golf game and a ferry ride interfering with the last two of those.
LFITQ
Team Captain

In an effort to learn a bit about this game I went on a google search.

I came across this article titled "Rugby Explained".

Now I'm not sure if I actually learned much about the positions in the game, but it was an enjoyable read.

http://www.mattcleary.com/issue11_2000/page9.html
nelson95
Legend

Watched a bit of repeat of Frances Falter. Media obsessed with the France 2nd row giant.

I was a 2nd rower once.... :sigh:

Still getting Setanta free, footy on now
Give the ball to LeeRoy!