Saw this on Ebay!

Got em, Need em, Find em, Get em!

Moderator: Team Captains

flawlesswallis

Hey,

I saw this on eBay and I thaugh it was pretty cool...

[web]http://cgi.ebay.ca/January-19-62-BC-LIO ... otohosting[/web]
flawlesswallis

Born and raised in Calgary, Doug Mitchell is National Co-Chairman, Member of National Executive and Regional Managing Partner for Borden Ladner Gervais LLP, a national law firm based in Calgary.

Among many organizations he has been involved with over his distinguished career, Mr. Mitchell served as a Member of the National Hockey League Board of Governors, was Commissioner of the Canadian Football League (1984-88), and instituted and developed the BLG Awards (formerly Howard, Mackie Awards) honouring the CIS Female and Male Athletes of the Year.

In 2002, the CIS renamed one of its football national semi-finals the Mitchell Bowl in recognition of his commitment and dedication to university athletics. Mr. Mitchell was elected to the Alberta Sports Hall of Fame in 1999 and, in 1996, received the L.B. Pearson Award presented by the CIS to a Canadian citizen of outstanding achievements, who having participated in interuniversity athletics has by his/her accomplishments exemplified the ideals and purposes of interuniversity athletics and amateur sport.

A graduate of the University of British Columbia, where he suited up for the Thunderbirds football team, and of Colorado College, where he played hockey and football, Mr. Mitchell pursued his football career in the professional ranks with the B.C. Lions of the CFL.
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

thats really cool
2012 Season Ticket Holder
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Roy Shatzko played for the Lions from 1965-1966. Prior to joining the Lions I believed he played for Calgary
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Cool. Back in the days when there were telephone exchange names (MUtual 4-8388 as per PEnnsylvannia 6-5000, BEechwood 4-5789 and BUtterfield 8) and before postal codes (Vancouver 2/8).
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
I_Bleed_Orange
Starter

Holy crap! #7 on that list of players is my GF's uncle. Might have to buy that.
I'm feelin' fine
Sitting in Row A - Sec 39

http://picasaweb.google.com/SayYesToFun
LFITQ
Team Captain

Ok but one thing has me wondering ...

What is NOW located at 622 Seymour St, Vancouver 2, BC?

And what is "Vancouver 2"?

Yeah, you're right. I guess that is 2 things ;) 8)
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Tighthead
Legend

Al Bianco was a very good rugby player, as was Denny Veitch. Denny was famous for being a strong player despite having only one arm.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

LFITQ wrote:Ok but one thing has me wondering ...

What is NOW located at 622 Seymour St, Vancouver 2, BC?

And what is "Vancouver 2"?

Yeah, you're right. I guess that is 2 things ;) 8)
Like I said, V2 is a precursor to the current postal code system (which was adopted in the 70s). I've noticed it on lots of old letterhead. Not sure off the top of my head what's at 622 S St but a few things in the vicinity: the Bay and Gotham Steakhouse are across the street and there are 98 BLine and Skytrain stops very nearby, and a 7/11 and the overhead Railway Club on the corner of the next block north.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.