Need help trying to decide on a jersey

Got em, Need em, Find em, Get em!

Moderator: Team Captains

No Ordinary Joe
Legend

I'm planning on buying a Lions jersey at some point this season but not too sure which guy to go with. I've never had a Lions jersey before but I've wanted one for quite some time. I already know that I'm going to go with the black 3rd jersey, that's a given. My first choice for player was going to be Clermont, but with the uncertainty surrounding his status with the Lions beyond this year I'm worried about him leaving. My other choice was Geroy, but everybody's got a Geroy jersey...however, I still may go with him, just not 100% sure yet. My two other possibilities are Rob Murphy and Joe Smith. I'm a huge Joe Smith fan, but I don't know his contract status, and Murphy, well...he's an Offensive Lineman but I just think he's awesome, his attitude, his mean streak, he's just a badass and I love players like that. Any advice? (and no, don't say buy all of them, I can barely afford one right now. :sigh: )
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

No Ordinary Joe,
Look at your name. Look at your avatar. Repeat as necessary until you make a decision. :wink:
Balraj
All Star

Otis Floyd, one guy whose jersey isn't very popular but is a very good player. Dickensons or Simons would be ideal choices but like you said everyone's got a Simon jersey. You want something that isn't played out. If your thinking long term go with a Glatt or Peirce jersey. Smith's wont be to bad either but you never know how long players stay.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Go with Buck Pierce, he's going to be the quarterback of the future.
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

get ur own name or a player from the past like Lui or Dan Payne
go for Joe smith or Jason Clermont or Buck Pierce
2012 Season Ticket Holder
Rammer
Team Captain

Cameron Wake may be an interesting choice. But as B.C.Fan has pointed out Joe Smith is a nice selection. Joe should be in his second of 2 + 1 contract, and he will be looking for a raise to continue with the Lions.
Entertainment value = an all time low
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

It doesn't matter who you pick -- sooner or later that player will leave, either as a free agent, cut, trade, retirement... whatever.

My advice -- choose a number that isn't obviously associated with a current player and make it your own. Add your own (nick)name if you must. One of these days a new Lion with that number will set the league on fire -- you'll be ahead of the curve.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
CB123
Legend

I say go with who ever your favorite player is, and don’t worry about his contract status.
Just cuz a guy may leave (which he will eventually like sj-roc said), doesn’t mean you cant wear his jersey?

As far as im concerned if a guy played for the Lions once, and hes one of ur favorite players, its good enough reason to buy his jersey.
BC Lions - 2006 Grey Cup Champions!
USC Trojans - 2007 Rose Bowl Champions!
Team Canada - 2007 World Junior Hockey Champions!
Vancouver Giants - 2007 Memorial Cup Champions!
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

CB123 wrote:I say go with who ever your favorite player is, and don’t worry about his contract status.
Just cuz a guy may leave (which he will eventually like sj-roc said), doesn’t mean you cant wear his jersey?

As far as im concerned if a guy played for the Lions once, and hes one of ur favorite players, its good enough reason to buy his jersey.
True enough on the last point -- I thought NOJ seemed reluctant (based on player longevity) on who to pick, so I just did some thinking outside the box. OTOH, in 20 years, a jersey of a now-current player will become a bit of a conversation piece if it's still in wearable condition (I've noticed folks still taking their Pankratz numbers out of mothballs for game night).
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
almo89
Legend

I have a geroy and clermont jersey. The Clermont one is the stitched up name and numbers too. Too bad he might not be here next year. I think Glatt is a good choice.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

I think Joe Smith will hang around now. If you really want a current player, go ahead and pick him.
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

If you're looking at who's most likely to be with the Lions for a while:
Paris Jackson
Javy Glatt
Buck Pierce
Brent Johnson
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

I'd go with Pierce. I'm pretty sure he's going to be a Lion for quite some time... it would suck to choose someone just before they leave.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

#5.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

#16 Buck Pierce... a good character person, top player and long-term BC Lion!!! Go Pierce, go.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy