Mirror Offences in the West

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

The 'Calgary offence', created by John Hufnagel in Calgary, when he was offensive coordinator there, hasn't changed that much ever since. George Cortez and Jaques Chapdelaine essentially tinkered with it a little bit but essentially it's the same concept and structure.

Cortez emphasized the bunch formation more whereas Chapdelaine utilized the six pack reciever set more often in 2005... than it had been used in the past. Chapdealine also used the two back set in 2005, a leftover from the Burratto years, when he emphasized the running game. However, Chapdelaine reverted more to the ace back, five receiver set last season, with better success.

The Calgary offence, with it's use of five and six receiver sets and the bunch formation has seen some subtle changes. You'll see four receivers to the wide side of the field more often today than the way Hufnagel used it and you'll also see more double tight end sets than the early conception of the offence.

However, with Cortez in Calgary, Chapdelaine in Edmonton, and Dorazio and Kruck here in B.C. we're all going to be seeing the same offence at times from all three teams this season. Austin, in Saskatchewan, has also been a strong proponent of single backfield and empty backfield sets in his pitch and catch offences in Toronto. The Riders offence won't look that much different!

Perhaps the biggest variation we'll see is here in B.C. as Hufnagel returned to join us in training camp this season and has opened the offence more from the Chaps days, who tended to be conservative. Hufnagel's time in the NFL, plus the changing face of CFL defenses from the time that Hufnagel was here (in those days defenses were still mainly using three linebackers and five defensive backs...giving Hufnagel all kinds of receiver on linebacker matchups) has given Hufnagel time to ponder and he has emphasized a greater use of the running game for this season.

Still, we're not going to see the kind of variation in offences as we did in the West in the past. Barrett liked the two back set, emphasized the running game, and prefered an underneath passing attack. The imaginative Burratto liked to game plan differently each game while strongly emphasizing the run as well. It's no secret why Calgary and Saskatchewan have been the best running teams in the league. Macioccia was caught in a time warp similar to Chapdelaine in 2005 with his overdose of crossing patterns. He almost nullified Ed Hervey's deep threat and Tucker's great post corner moves by turning them into five yard crossing pattern receivers.

However, CFL defenses have evolved from Hufnagel's early days in Calgary, with Ritchie leading the way with multiple defensive formations, blitz packages, rotating defensive lines, and nickel and dime backs and 'eight' defensive back sets. The Calgary offence still has great concepts but it's time to add some new wrinkles.

In the animal world you eat or get eaten. Evolution means only the strongest survive and the strongest survive by evolving!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Great post.

Thanks for the insight. Do you have information or opinions on why Buratto gets fired so often. I like his character, and his concepts seem sound. I wonder if he is too independent and perhaps difficult for bosses.

Also, I was disappointed when we missed the chance to get Cortez as coordinator. Our 2 guys are a bit unproven in that capacity.
Blitz
Team Captain

Thanks for the insight. Do you have information or opinions on why Buratto gets fired so often. I like his character, and his concepts seem sound. I wonder if he is too independent and perhaps difficult for bosses.

Also, I was disappointed when we missed the chance to get Cortez as coordinator. Our 2 guys are a bit unproven in that capacity
s

Burratto is very highly regarded as an offensive coordinator by defensive coordinators in the league and they are the ones who have to defense him.
Burratto is imaginative and innovative. He comes up with specific game plans for each team he plays and they can be very different. Burratto was ahead of the curve by reemphasizing the running game against today's lighter defenses which are focused on the pass. Burratto was stuck with Henry Burris in Calgary and he will have to deal with Damon in Toronto.

Burratto did a great job when we got Dickenson in 2003 and worked wonders with Printers in 2004. However, his offences can be complex and he requires a smart quarterback. In B.C. Wally wanted to integrate the Calgary offence and needed a disciple of that system. In Calgary Burratto took the fall for Henry Burris, who struggled with the offence at times. Calgary decided they had to keep Burris, who was unhappy with the offensive structure and let Burratto go. In some ways he was the fall guy and there was an internal struggle over the decision. Tom Higgins also wanted to feel more secure and having a former Head Coach on his coaching staff, with the team not reaching expectations in Calgary, did not make him feel secure.

Don't forget that both Edmonton and Toronto bid for Burratto's services with the Argos winning out. Chapdelaine was Edmonton's second choice and Cortez was already out of the picture for Edmonton.

I wanted our Leos to get rid of Chapdelaine at the end of 2005 and bring in Cortez. He would have been a great choice. Instead we hung on to Chapdelaine for one more season while Cortez coached the offensive line in Regina. Our opportunity was missed although I give Chapdelaine credit for a much improved job of coaching in 2006.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

It will be an interesting season on the offensive side of the ball. Could Simmons' move to the outside be a not-so-obvious sign that the Lions are gonna go vertical, assuming Murph and the boys hold contain any sort of rush/blitz that will be coming after DD or Buck?