Official 2007 Vancouver Canadians Season Thread

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Robbie
Hall of Famer

Although I don't think too many people on this board watch and follow the Vancouver Canadians very closely, since I created official season threads for all the other local sports teams, I might as well include the local minor league affiliate of the Oakland Athletics as well. The Canadians' season starts tonight at Nat Bailey Stadium.

http://www.canadiansbaseball.com/

I think local baseball enthusiasm in the city died down greatly in 1999 shortly after the AAA Canadians won both the PCL championship and then the AAA championship, only to be moved to Sacramento, with local baseball being replaced by the current single-A team.

Several one time Vancouver Canadians made it big in the MLB, such as Rickey Henderson, Sammy Sosa, Jose Canseco, Scott Brosius, and Jason Giambi. And while he didn't become too famous in the MLB, Rodney McCray will be forever known for a moment as a Vancouver Canadian. On May 27, 1991, at PGE Park in Portland, Oregon, McCray chased after a fly ball hit by Portland's Chip Hale; unable to make the catch, he ran right through a plywood fence in right field. Here is a video of him crashing into the wall.

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregon ... _11BLOO113
darnellclash
Starter

Nothing better than getting the 24 hour flu and going to a nooner at the Nat.
It is what it is.
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

Went last night, very crowded I must add, stadium looks awesome, Go C's!!

By the way, for all you people interested in following the team, head over to the unofficial fan site of the team (notesfromthenat.com) where I along with another poster will recap all 76 games this summer!
"I hope he enjoys Stornoway and I hope he's happy there for a long time"

-Prime Minister Harper on new Liberal Leader St?phane Dion
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Although it is unlikely to affect attendance very much, since it's been mentioned for other local teams before, I might as well mention it for the Canadians as well. There will be two times this season when Lions home games will conflict with Canadians home games. And depending on the weather for these two dates, I'm sure there are some people who might think it will be more pleasant to sit under the warm sunset at outdoor Nat Bailey stadium.

July 19
August 2
Soundy
Hall of Famer

I'd love to check out a C's game. My wife went last year, some kind of company outing... they all got completely blitzed on the house beer (paid for by the company) and cooked to a crisp in the sun. But they had a blast.

They were talking on the Team last week to the VP of the C's, he was raving about all the upgrades they'd made, and noted that there are a lot more to come. Sounds like a really sweet ball park!
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:Several one time Vancouver Canadians made it big in the MLB, such as Rickey Henderson, Sammy Sosa, Jose Canseco, Scott Brosius, and Jason Giambi.
Two other notables: Darin Erstad and Jim Edmonds
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

Canuck_4_Life wrote:
Robbie wrote:Several one time Vancouver Canadians made it big in the MLB, such as Rickey Henderson, Sammy Sosa, Jose Canseco, Scott Brosius, and Jason Giambi.
Two other notables: Darin Erstad and Jim Edmonds
You can add Garrett Anderson, Rich Harden, Nick Swisher, Travis Buck, Troy Percival, Scott Schoeneweis (sp), Mark Mulder, Tim Hudson and Ramon Hernandez as well, to name a few!:)

Robbie
Hall of Famer

So ends another Vancouver Canadians season. They finished second in their division but well out of the playoffs.
Soundy wrote:I'd love to check out a C's game. My wife went last year, some kind of company outing... they all got completely blitzed on the house beer (paid for by the company) and cooked to a crisp in the sun. But they had a blast.
Did you manage to attend one?
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Still haven't, no. Weekends have just been nuts, and the weekday games I have the same problem as with weekday Giants and Lions games (it's a long freakin' drive back in from Pitt Meadows after a full day's work).
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

I went to 20 some-odd games this year.....and with the new renovations it was the best summer of baseball ever! Sure, they sucked. But when you go to Everett to watch them on the road, you can see how much Nat Bailey is a stadium we should be proud of....Everett Memorial = :thdn: