I hope we don't believe our press...

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

LFITQ
Team Captain

Two articles came through today.

1) Kent Gilchrist's column in The Province entitled "Loaded Lions might as well plan Grey Cup parade"

2) Kirk Penton's column in The Winnipeg Sun entitled "Leos still best in West; Few weaknesses for Champs"

I'm sure there have been others.

First of all, as the Grey Cup Champs, EVERY team will come gunning for you to take a shot at the "champs". So no matter how poorly the opposition may have played the previous week, they will undoubtedly get a lot more hyped for a game against the Leos. There will NOT be a week off and "Any Given Sunday" will become a truthism fairly quickly.

Secondly, other teams will be reading this hype (heck it was even in the Winnipeg papers) and using it as Locker room material when they play the Leos. Many teams will take great pleasure in proving the scribes wrong and knocking the Lions down a peg or two.

The worst thing that could absolutely happen is that the Lions start believing this hype. They have to come out this season and act as if every game can make the difference between Grey Cup champs and "also-rans". Even in the CFL, repeating as Champs is no easy feat, and with the movement in the League every team believes itself to be improved and are looking for opportunities to prove they are better than last year.

The Lions might as well get the US company "Target" to be their sponsors because this year, the Lions jersey is just going to look an awful lot like a bullseye to the opposition.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
CartWheelFan
All Star

LFITQ wrote:Two articles came through today.

1) Kent Gilchrist's column in The Province entitled "Loaded Lions might as well plan Grey Cup parade"

2) Kirk Penton's column in The Winnipeg Sun entitled "Leos still best in West; Few weaknesses for Champs"

I'm sure there have been others.

First of all, as the Grey Cup Champs, EVERY team will come gunning for you to take a shot at the "champs". So no matter how poorly the opposition may have played the previous week, they will undoubtedly get a lot more hyped for a game against the Leos. There will NOT be a week off and "Any Given Sunday" will become a truthism fairly quickly.

Secondly, other teams will be reading this hype (heck it was even in the Winnipeg papers) and using it as Locker room material when they play the Leos. Many teams will take great pleasure in proving the scribes wrong and knocking the Lions down a peg or two.

The worst thing that could absolutely happen is that the Lions start believing this hype. They have to come out this season and act as if every game can make the difference between Grey Cup champs and "also-rans". Even in the CFL, repeating as Champs is no easy feat, and with the movement in the League every team believes itself to be improved and are looking for opportunities to prove they are better than last year.

The Lions might as well get the US company "Target" to be their sponsors because this year, the Lions jersey is just going to look an awful lot like a bullseye to the opposition.
They will DEFINETLY be gunning for the Lions all season. Last year when BC was still undefeated (11-0 I believe) I was in Edmonton on the Thursday before the saturday game with the Eskimo's and I happened to get a chance to go on a tour of Commonwealth Stadium, so naturally I wore my Lions jersey! Well, wouldn't you know, but the ENTIRE Edmonton Esks happen to walk past me on their way to the practice field. To say that most of the looks I got were murderous would be an understatement! One of the audible comments from the passing players was; "now that's a pretty bold statement right there."

I might have tried to run, but I think they would have caught me haha.

The Esks went on to win the game on Saturday, snapping the Lions unbeaten streak. I couldn't help but think I might have been in part responsible. My appearance at THEIR stadium wearing my orange jersey might have provided them with some extra incentive. So I can well imagine that in Winnipeg for example the fact that the hometown press is already favouring the Lions that it might serve as motivation to come after the Leo's.

Mind you, who knows, the Winnipeg press could spend the entire CFL season discussing the the possible return of the Jets and the NHL to the city.

All I know is that there should be some good games for us to watch this season.

GO LIONS GO!! Let's repeat!
Robbie
Hall of Famer

CartWheelFan wrote:Last year when BC was still undefeated (11-0 I believe)
You mean in 2005. That was when they started at 11-0. Last year in 2006, they started off rather slowly at 2-3.
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

Nice head up for us all LFITQ to take to heart and make our own...

I think most of us know the danger of reading and believing our own press clippings, and how this only can ultimately leave a team naked and bewildered.

The scumbags who write these lines and neither believe them nor support them are looking only for any signs of controversy or chink in the armor of those that have died hundreds of deaths to get to be Champions, and what it was it took to get their in the first place, or how that much more what it is that it takes to stay Champions.

They are only interested in selling papers and making headlines and keeping animosity alive, or cutting down those they lauded last season, like a Geroy Simon if he has a bad start or a new but tantalizing quarterback controversy.

It is up to us to be aware that the Lions have no friends, but their teammates, our true fans and the loyalty of their Lionbackers...

The courage and talent of our organization is enough that we will make the difference this season if we pull together like one.

And we will!
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I couldn't believe this article either! A lot of it may sound right on paper but thats why they play the games. I do think a lot of our backups are better than other teams starters (Buck Pierce?). But you can't go planning parades before the season begins (especially in the CFL). I like Gilchrist's articles for the most part and I do hope he's right but....

I do think if anyone starts believing the CookieCoolaid, Wally will be giving those players a chance to play----for another CFL team!
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

LFITQ wrote:The worst thing that could absolutely happen is that the Lions start believing this hype. They have to come out this season and act as if every game can make the difference between Grey Cup champs and "also-rans". Even in the CFL, repeating as Champs is no easy feat, and with the movement in the League every team believes itself to be improved and are looking for opportunities to prove they are better than last year.
I would reword that as ESPECIALLY -- which strengthens your argument. Only the 96/97 Argos have repeated since 1983, while all other major NAmerican sports leagues have had at least two back-to-back champs since then (NHL -- Oilers, Pens, Wings; NFL -- SF, Dallas, Denver, NE Pats; MLB -- Jays, Yankees; NBA -- Bulls (twice, on either side of Jordan's 1st retirement), others?).
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Blitz
Team Captain

Kent Gilchrist's column in The Province entitled "Loaded Lions might as well plan Grey Cup parade"
Stupid article!!! :x :thdn: :thdn:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Rammer
Team Captain

It is tough being the Champions, but we will find out how much of a heart of a Champion the Lions have this season.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Robbie
Hall of Famer

LFITQ wrote:I would reword that as ESPECIALLY -- which strengthens your argument. Only the 96/97 Argos have repeated since 1983, while all other major NAmerican sports leagues have had at least two back-to-back champs since then (NHL -- Oilers, Pens, Wings; NFL -- SF, Dallas, Denver, NE Pats; MLB -- Jays, Yankees; NBA -- Bulls (twice, on either side of Jordan's 1st retirement), others?).
For the NBA:
Los Angeles Lakers: 86-87, 00-02
Detroit Pistons: 89-90
Houston Rockets: 94-95

MLS:
DC United: 96-97

WNBA:
Houston Comets: 97-00
LA Sparks: 00-01
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Wally keeps stressing that his main message to the team will be that last year was last year and that being Grey Cup champions means nothing in 2007 other than to give opposing teams extra incentive every time they play the Lions. I'm sure that overconfidence won't be a problem.

Still, two questions need to be addressed:
1. Have the Lions done enough to improve as a team?
2. Will they be hungry enough to make the necessary sacrifices that Grey Cup teams must make?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Isn't that typical of a newspaper reporter ? Training camp hasn't even started and he's already annointed the Lions as the Champions. A couple of key injuries and the Lions (for that matter any team) will be in big trouble.
David
Team Captain

Guys, I read the article. I think teams will realize it's just a local journalist making this bold early prediction - and was not the hubris of any Lion player or the organization itself. As such, I wouldn't read too much into this.

Let's look at things on the bright side.

1) at least someone is writing about our football team in this hockey-crazed market. :thup:

2) we tend to hack on the media for writing negative stories. Here we have a guy who recognizes that this is a top-notch organization (despite being excessively flattering about it) and now we want to lynch him?? :oops:

3) maybe someone thinking about purchasing season tickets will read this and be motivated to put down a deposit. :yes:

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
CartWheelFan
All Star

Isn't that what everyone is worried about thought? When he was in calgary, Wally had all of these great regular season teams in the 90's and how many Grey Cups to show for it? Not that I am doubting/knocking Wally! I think he is perhaps one of the best CFL coaches ever, but there is that legacy that follows him...

Anyone care to comment on that?

GO LIONS GO!!~
Rammer
Team Captain

CartWheelFan wrote:Isn't that what everyone is worried about thought? When he was in calgary, Wally had all of these great regular season teams in the 90's and how many Grey Cups to show for it? Not that I am doubting/knocking Wally! I think he is perhaps one of the best CFL coaches ever, but there is that legacy that follows him...

Anyone care to comment on that?

GO LIONS GO!!~
3 Grey Cups in Wally's tenure in Calgary isn't bad, but with his teams he should have had more. You have to appreciate that his home field advantage wasn't always an advantage to him, given the weather factor. In BC he doesn't have to worry about that element, and he can get a huge boost with the noise that the fans can create in the Dome. I expect if the Lions can host the WDF for a number of years, or as many as he had in Calgary the team will represent the West more often in the GC, from there though, weather will become a factor on some games.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Reider
Starter

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Players who aren't giving it everything they have won't be playing very much. Lions fans need to have more confidence in Buono.

Also, from a players standpoint, remember that the players are competetive. They don't want to lose anymore than the average fan. After winning a grey cup and keeping most of the team in tact, I think players, coaches etc.. will know that the grey cup this year is theirs to lose... they should be hungry for another one.

I think it's unrealistic to think that the team will just take the season off.. The lions are a great team and will likely have another stellar season.