Sports Team Apparel - Fan or Fashion Statement?

Got em, Need em, Find em, Get em!

Moderator: Team Captains

Robbie
Hall of Famer

There is an issue that I would to discuss with all of you and I would like your thoughts on this. Suppose you buy and wear apparel of a certain sports team, is it because you really like the team and are a fan of it? Or could it be that you simply wear it for fashion purposes because you like the design and appearance of the apparel, and you don't really care for the team itself?

In my high school and college days, sports apparel were quite popular and it still is. I wouldn't be unusual to see some people wear hockey jerseys or jackets featuring NFL or NBA teams, and baseball caps have always been popular. I used to think that one would wear apparel from a certain sports team to indicate that they were a fan of it. But then there were numerous times when I tried to engage in an intellectual conversation with that person on the team they were wearing, and I found out that they knew Jack about the team. :roll: So it seemed very clear that they were just wearing the team apparel as a fashion statement.

To be fair, I guess if I were wearing clothing designed by Ralph Lauren, Pierre Cardin, Tommy Hilfiger, Calvin Klein, and Luciano Benetton, it does not mean that I must know each fashion designer's extensive biography. But when it comes to sports apparel, there is clearly the possibility of ambiguity as it is not clear whether wearing the clothing indicates being a fan or being fashionable, or both, or neither. There were times at Canucks games when they were playing the Rangers, Red Wings, or Maple Leafs, I notice someone in the audience wearing a Canucks jersey. That would indicate they they are supporting the Canucks, but at the same time, they are wearing the baseball cap of the Yankees, Tigers, or Blue Jays. That to me seemed very hypocritical as how could they support the Canucks and the CITY of the opponent at the same time? :?

From my observations of Greater Vancouver in the 1980's and early 1990's, there were definitely certain teams' sports apparel that were more popular than others. And I have a feeling that they were worn as a fashion statement as I don't think those who wore the team apparel were really fans of the team. Taking the MLB, NHL, NBA, and NFL, these seemed to be the most popular team apparel:

MLB
When it came to baseball caps, it seems like the hats of the New York Yankees, Detroit Tigers, and Cleveland Indians were the most popular.

ImageImageImage

In the 1980's to early 1990's, all three teams were rather mediocre, although the Tigers did win the World Series in 1984. Despite the fact that the Blue Jays were Canada's team that won the World Series in 1992-93, I didn't notice Blue Jays caps to be more popular than these three.

NHL
When the Los Angeles Kings introduced their new silver and black uniforms for the 1988-89 season, which was also Gretzky's first year with the club, they became so popular. On the streets of Vancouver, Kings jerseys exceeded those of any other team.

NBA
This one is the toughest to determine, but I'd say Chicago Bulls jacket was the most popular.

NFL
The most popular jackets seemed to be those of the Los Angeles/Oakland Raiders. I heard that those who wore them were stereotyped as gang member wannabes.

As for CFL apparel, I really cannot say because CFL apparel is not popular in general.

So it seems like with the exception of the Bulls, there seems to be very little correlation on how well the team does and how well its apparel sells. And there doesn't seem to be too much correlation either with whether the team is your local or closest team, and how popular it is. Even when the Canucks introduced their white uniforms in the 1989-90 season, they still didn't outsell those of the Kings. The Vancouver Grizzlies jackets were never too popular. Although they were Canadian, Blue Jays and Expos caps didn't seem to be as popular as the three aforementioned. And although Vancouver supports the Seahawks in the NFL, their jackets don't seem to be as popular as those of the Raiders.

A good question for a fashion designer is.....what is it about sports apparel that makes it popular?

How well the team does only seems to be a very minor factor.

So if you were a stranger to all the professional sports leagues and teams, and you had to choose your favorite team apparel in each league based solely as a fashion label on its design, which team's apparel would you choose and why?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I wear sports apparel because I support the team. Nothing more period. I wouldn't be caught wearing designer clothing with the company name splattered on the front. I'm not an advertising billboard and if the company want me to advertise their products they pay me.
David
Team Captain

My fashion rules are simple: I wear this logo......or none at all.

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Ballistic Bob
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:I wear sports apparel because I support the team. Nothing more period. I wouldn't be caught wearing designer clothing with the company name splattered on the front. I'm not an advertising billboard and if the company want me to advertise their products they pay me.
Dont hold your breath on that happening. BB
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

I'm both sort of. I wear certain hats because they're my favourite team in that sport, and other times I buy stuff (I.E. a Minnesota Wild jersey) that I think is a cool logo, or something to that extent.

CFL Apparel would be more popular, but the NHL, NBA, NFL and MLB especially have so much more to choose from, this is why I have more MLB apparel than CFL, and it'll stay this way for a while.
"I hope he enjoys Stornoway and I hope he's happy there for a long time"

-Prime Minister Harper on new Liberal Leader St?phane Dion
smphantom
Legend

The best example of a fashion statement worn by thousands of men and women who knew nothing about basketball:

Stay thirsty my friends.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Ballistic Bob wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:I wear sports apparel because I support the team. Nothing more period. I wouldn't be caught wearing designer clothing with the company name splattered on the front. I'm not an advertising billboard and if the company want me to advertise their products they pay me.
Dont hold your breath on that happening. BB
Not losing any sleep over it. :lol:
lion24
Legend

i have always only worn lions colours as well, when i was 8 years old i had a jacket with the orange and brown colours of the 80's lions (i probably would not have worn orange and brown as a fashion statement :wink: !!?) and today i buy only lions colours as well and i think the colours are fashionable and unique and i am supporting the team as well. although you see the bright orange on the Bears trim, Broncos and Phoenix Suns so the orange seems to be getting more popular. The fans i felt bad for were the Tampa Bay Buc's fans with the "Creamsicle" jerseys they had .........although were our colours much different?:oops: :oops:
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
MacNews
Team Captain

I'm really impressed by the amount of people wearing a Lions t-shirt or cap year-round now, it's great to see! :beer:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Amazing what a championship team can do in terms of fashion statement.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

If you see someone wearing a 'flying V' or "spaghetti bowl' logo Canucks jersey, you can be pretty sure it's because he's a fan... the only fashion statement those make is "Blind man walking!" :wink:
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:As for CFL apparel, I really cannot say because CFL apparel is not popular in general.
Somebody asked on Yahoo! Questions which CFL team has the best uniforms. I wasn't surprised to see only a few answers. The response chose as the best answer indicated the uniforms of the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.

http://sg.answers.yahoo.com/question/in ... 328AAnVdQG
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

I wear my Lions stuff year round. In fact, I had my new Lionbackers.com shirt on at the Giants game.
bbgirl
Legend

Soundy wrote:If you see someone wearing a 'flying V' or "spaghetti bowl' logo Canucks jersey, you can be pretty sure it's because he's a fan... the only fashion statement those make is "Blind man walking!" :wink:
I wear those on dates.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Soundy wrote:If you see someone wearing a 'flying V' or "spaghetti bowl' logo Canucks jersey, you can be pretty sure it's because he's a fan... the only fashion statement those make is "Blind man walking!" :wink:
ROTFLMAO :lol: :lol: