Favourite and Most Exciting Lions Blowout Games? (>15)

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Robbie
Hall of Famer

There have been many threads created to discuss most exciting and favourite Lions games. These are three threads that were created last year to discuss this topic:

http://www.lionbackers.com/cheer/viewtopic.php?t=12210
http://www.lionbackers.com/cheer/viewtopic.php?t=10111
http://www.lionbackers.com/cheer/viewtopic.php?t=11369

and most recently, this one:

http://www.lionbackers.com/cheer/viewtopic.php?t=12619

As expected, most of the games listed by everyone are games that were very close, usually with the Lions squeaking out a close win in the end. Very few of the games are what can be considered blowout wins. As I said in another thread before, in order for a game to be close, the defence must allow the opponent to score as many points as the offence, but that creates the possibility of losing the game too. As I stated on another thread before, this is my assessment of what happens when a team has:

Good offence + Bad defence = More close and exciting games, but fewer wins and championships.
Bad offence + Good defence = Low scoring but close games, and again fewer wins and championships.
Bad offence + Bad defence = Blowout losses.
Good offence + Good defence = More wins and championships but less exciting games, possibly leading to less attendance.

Having said that, I for one actually really like blowout games and I think they can just be as exciting as close wins. The shear dominance over the opponent makes the game very exciting and satisfying to watch. Watching the Lions in a blowout win is by no means a waste of my time and money, and I'd continue to pay to watch such wins.

Since there hasn't been any thread to discuss exclusively blowout games, I will create this thread right now. Of course, what is considered a blowout win is very subjective, but I think a fair and modest figure is when the margin of victory is just over two converted touchdowns at 15 points. So a blowout win is one in which the final score had a differential of 15 points or more.

And just because a game ends up as a blowout does not mean it was a blowout throughout the whole game. As many of my examples below indicate, the score may have been very close at halftime.

Therefore, what are your favourite games in which the Lions blew out their opponent?

Just to set the record straight, the following games do not qualify because the margin of victory was less than 15 points.

1. The playoff games of 1986, 1994, 2000, and 2004.
2. All five Grey Cup games the Lions have won.
3. The 52-41 win over Rocket Ismail and the Argos in August 1991 as well as two other overtime wins that season.
4. The 1994 regular season finale over Saskatchewan 40-38.
5. The 48-37 win over the Montreal Alouettes on August 21, 2002.

Without further ado, here is my list of 10 in no particular order. In some cases, I will list more than one game in each entry because the two games are very similar that I feel they could be treated as a pair.

10 Good Blowout Games that the Lions won by 15 points or more :rockin: :thup:

#1.
The two 1988 road playoff games. The Lions finished 3rd in the west and had to go to Saskatchewan for what turned out to be the last playoff game hosted by the Roughriders, and won convincingly 42-18. The Lions then went to dreaded Commonwealth Stadium where no visiting team had ever won a playoff game. In a very close affair until halfway through the fourth quarter with BC clinging on to a 20-19 lead, the momentum changed when Dunigan hit Scott Lecky for a long gain. After that, Dunigan immediately threw a TD pass to David Williams. Shortly afterwards, Dunigan threw another TD pass to Eric Streater who made a one handed catch and added a FG to take the Western Final 37-19.

#2.
The 1988 regular season opener and finale, both against the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. The Lions won game 1 easily 36-3 in Dunigan's debut as Lions QB, and took game 18 46-24. The triple threat of Dunigan, Williams, and Cherry produced a very entertaining offence. Too bad they couldn't repeat it in the all-important game that season, although Williams and Cherry each scored a TD in the 1988 Grey Cup.

#3.
The two Game 3's in the best of three Western Finals in 1963 and 1964. BC won 36-1 over Saskatchwan in 1963 and 33-14 over Calgary in 1964 to advance to the Grey Cup.

#4.
In a home game against the Shreveport Pirates in August 1994, the Lions trampled over their opponent on their way to setting a team record for the greatest margin of victory at 52 points in their 67-15 win.

#5.
On October 22, 2005, the Lions easily demolished the Winnipeg Blue Bombers 41-1 in what turned out to be Casey Printers' last good game with the Lions. He completed 20 of 26 pass attempts for 303 yards and 4 touchdowns before giving way to Buck Pierce.

#6.
The 1983 and 1985 West Division Finals, both over the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. In both games, it was a come from behind win. In both games, the score was very close at halftime but the Lions responded with very strong second halfs to blow away the Blue Bombers 39-21 amd 42-22 respectively, sending BC Place into a frenzy.

#7.
In September 1996 in an otherwise horrible season, the Lions dominate Doug Flutie and the Toronto Argos 35-11.

#8.
The 48-13 win in Montreal on September 1, 2006 in a game where Buck Pierce played a great second half.

#9.
A home game on October 29, 1988 in which David Williams caught four touchdown passes in a win over the Edmonton Eskimos.

#10.
The 2006 West Division Final over the Saskatchwan Roughriders by a score of 45-18. Since this game is fresh in all of your minds, I won't go into detail.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

You left out Calgary's first post-Buono visit to BC Place (in 2003), during which they were shellacked 48-4. Casey Printers -- still behind backup qb Spergon Wynn on the depth chart at the time -- got his first real CFL action that night and led the offence on a touchdown drive near the end of the game.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
maddeep73
Champion

In a home game against the Shreveport Pirates in August 1994, the Lions trampled over their opponent on their way to setting a team record for the greatest margin of victory at 52 points in their 67-15 win.
The only thing I remember about this one is the wild interception and subsequent 6-8 laterals by the Lions DB's with no time left on the clock. They were having fun that night.
In September 1996 in an otherwise horrible season, the Lions dominate Doug Flutie and the Toronto Argos 35-11.
The Lions played the game of the year that night. They had a little extra motivation, if I recall, this game closely followed the whole Flutie vs. Dave Chaytors slander allegations. Flutie had been popping off about the Lions D-line being on steroids and using illegal tactics (eye gouging, etc). The Lions came out fired up to put Flutie in his place, and they did just that.
Keepin' it real
swervyn mervyn
Rookie

i loved the september 2005 waxing of the ottawa r.riders 61-27.at one point in the 4th qtr it was 61-13!i remember wishing the lions could have scored more. we had everything that day including a rare punt return for a td by lockett. great thread and i am glad i'm not the only one who loves blowouts(as long as the lions are the ones doing the damage) :yes: hell the only reason ottawa had as many points as they did was that we put in our reserves and ranek ran for a couple token td's
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Is that the game where Frank Cutolo scored on a long pass-and-run td, after he hotdogged the last twenty yards of the way?
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I know that the Lions kicked the Bombers in the butt in the 80's with a 44-6 trouncing when the Bombers had Deiter Brock as QB (Complete with a batted down interception on a blitz by "The Duck" who ran it back for a TD) and the more recent 32-9 home win over the Al's a couple of season ago ranks up there to.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Lions 51-Argos 4. August 21st, 2000.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:Lions 51-Argos 4. August 21st, 2000.
Good one -- that was Burrato's headcoaching debut w/the Lions, the first game of the post-Mohns era, and John Heward's last as Argos head coach.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

That one is right up there for me, but for overall joy of an internationally publicized blowout, it would have to be Super Bowl quarterback Vince Ferragamo's debut with the Montreal Alouettes against the B.C. Lions at Empire Stadium in 1981. Final score: B.C. 48, Montreal 8.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
Good one -- that was Burrato's headcoaching debut w/the Lions, the first game of the post-Mohns era, and John Heward's last as Argos head coach.
Yeah, that was sweet redemption for a 68-43 blowout loss the Lions suffered 10 years earlier in Toronto.

Only 11,350 were on hand at Rogers Centre.

Here's a good article and box score of that game:
http://slam.canoe.ca/Football00Games/aug24_bc_tor.html
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:
sj-roc wrote:
Yeah, that was sweet redemption for a 68-43 blowout loss the Lions suffered 10 years earlier in Toronto.

I was there, but I appreciate the review anyway.
Ravi
Legend

maddeep73 wrote:
The only thing I remember about this one is the wild interception and subsequent 6-8 laterals by the Lions DB's with no time left on the clock. They were having fun that night.
The Lions played the game of the year that night. They had a little extra motivation, if I recall, this game closely followed the whole Flutie vs. Dave Chaytors slander allegations. Flutie had been popping off about the Lions D-line being on steroids and using illegal tactics (eye gouging, etc). The Lions came out fired up to put Flutie in his place, and they did just that.
No, the Flutie allegations came later in the season after the rematch that the Argos won in Toronto.
Ravi
Legend

cromartie wrote:
Robbie wrote:
sj-roc wrote: Good one -- that was Burrato's headcoaching debut w/the Lions, the first game of the post-Mohns era, and John Heward's last as Argos head coach.

We Argo fans recall that one fondly too as it marked the end of the painful John Huard era and the beginning of the Pinball Clemons-as-head coach era in Toronto. We would exact our revenge on the Lions a little more than four years later in the Grey Cup.
Rammer
Team Captain

Ravi wrote:
cromartie wrote:
Robbie wrote: Yeah, that was sweet redemption for a 68-43 blowout loss the Lions suffered 10 years earlier in Toronto.

We Argo fans recall that one fondly too as it marked the end of the painful John Huard era and the beginning of the Pinball Clemons-as-head coach era in Toronto. We would exact our revenge on the Lions a little more than four years later in the Grey Cup.
Why would you want revenge for that game, the Lions did your organization a favour. :lol:
Entertainment value = an all time low
Robbie
Hall of Famer

With the exception of Baltimore and Sacramento, the Lions have a fairly easy time with the other American expansion teams during 1994 and 1995. Many of the games resulted in blowout wins, like the aforementioned 67-15 thrashing of the Shreveport Pirates.

I was a the second to last game of the 1994 regular season in which the Lions easily blew out the Las Vegas Posse 45-7.

With the Sacramento Gold Miners, the Lions lost two embarrassing games to them in 1993. First at home 27-23 in which the Gold Miners scored two late touchdowns, the second after an onside kick recovery, and then in the season finale where they were spanked 64-27. But the Lions got some revenge at home in the 1994 season with a 46-10 win. The rematch in Sacremento resulted in a 15-15 tie.