Singh's days as a Lion numbered?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

SammyGreene
Team Captain

Rick Dhaliwal reported on the noon hour sports that Wally has asked Bobby Singh to take a paycut.... not surprising given the news on Murphy.

Singh wants to know just how deep of cut it's going to be and Wally has given him permission to talk to the other teams with the Argos apparently first in line. His agent wants him outright released.

I like Singh's chances of landing elsewhere for more money than what the Lions will be offering.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

That sounds like a fair move on Wally's part but it could come at a price. Bobby is one of the off-field leaders of a tight O-line group. He might be offered more money elsewhere, but would he uproot his family and sever his connections on the Richmond school board? And who would host backyard team barbecues if he leaves?
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Not overly surprising. I would like to know Singh's games played to games missed ratio since he has been here.
Balraj
All Star

It's just a business deal, he has missed quite a few games the past few seasons. Not surprising, but if i were Singh I'd take the pay cut and keep my family here along with the Richmond School Board job.
Tighthead
Legend

I don't see Singh taking a cut - he seems pretty proud, and he is essentially in his prime and has a decent reputation. FWIW, I said yesterday I have no issue with Sherko taking his spot, and I consider Murphy way more valuable than Singh.

I give Wally credit - he has very little sentimental attachment to guys.
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Probably because Jiminez and Murph56 hadn't entered the picture yet when Singh was negotiating with Buono. Bobby played hardball with Coach, and did quite well out of it because there was a real urgency to keep Singh.

There isn't that much prsssure on Wally now, with the arrival of the two Imports. Ergo, Bobby's stock falls.
Blitz
Team Captain

Probably because Jiminez and Murph56 hadn't entered the picture yet when Singh was negotiating with Buono. Bobby played hardball with Coach, and did quite well out of it because there was a real urgency to keep Singh.

There isn't that much prsssure on Wally now, with the arrival of the two Imports. Ergo, Bobby's stock falls.
Very much agree Solar Max. Bobby Singh was a big signing when we needed to upgrade our ofensive line. However Sherko's big improvement, Singh's numerous injuries plus his big contract make him expendable. I think we all like Bobby Singh but, especially with the SMS...you can't afford to pay the top dollars for an offensive lineman who isn't making a significant and consistent contribution.

I don't expect Singh to take the paycut...even though he would certainly want to remain here. I posted a few weeks ago that, with Sherko's play last season that I wouldn't be surprised to see the Leos trade Singh. Wally certainly has given Singh an option to stay if he wants to rather than outright trading him...albeit with a paycut. Singh fought a tough fight for his last contract...and got big dollars last season while not playing a lot! He doesn't have the same leverage right now...so it will be interesting to see what he will do!

It would be great to have Singh stay...with both Sherko and Singh we have great line depth...but I guess it has to happen at the price the Leos can afford...and whether Singh will agree to that price.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Reportedly, the Argos were willing to give their 1st RD draft picks for 2007 and 2008 to get Murph56...........what would they be willing to give for Bobby Singh, a high end starting NI o-lineman in his prime?

I wish I could remember who I was talking to during GC week (old age is a *beeotch*) but the talk was David Braley was very unhappy about the coin he was dishing out for a player (BS) who missed so many games.

If the coaching staff (primarily Dorazio) feels that Sherko is ready.........I think BS is gonzo via trade.
Lloyd
Dan Russell
Legend

I also believe Sherko can replace Singh too in the lineup. If he wants to stay he take the pay cut or he's gone.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Shi Zi Mi wrote:Reportedly, the Argos were willing to give their 1st RD draft picks for 2007 and 2008 to get Murph56...........what would they be willing to give for Bobby Singh, a high end starting NI o-lineman in his prime?

I wish I could remember who I was talking to during GC week (old age is a *beeotch*) but the talk was David Braley was very unhappy about the coin he was dishing out for a player (BS) who missed so many games.

If the coaching staff (primarily Dorazio) feels that Sherko is ready.........I think BS is gonzo via trade.
WOW. Two 1st round picks is normally a pretty good deal, even for a starter, especially an import.

It will be interesting to see who those players turn out to be in the future and whether Murphy plays 1 more season or his career ( 5 + ) seasons with the Lions.

I wonder who the Lions wanted in trade from the Argos that they wouldn't give up. Not too many players come to mind.

Maybe Bruce but his salary would have created another SMS issue.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Last off season we were chatting about whether we'd get BS back, now same stuff-different pile. I think he's proud enough to move on- he can do all the other things (school board- coaching) in another CFL city.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Blue In BC wrote:I wonder who the Lions wanted in trade from the Argos that they wouldn't give up. Not too many players come to mind.
My guess would be Bernard Williams. It would have been a swap of starting import left tackles, plus a first-round pick coming to the Lions.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Blue In BC wrote: I wonder who the Lions wanted in trade from the Argos that they wouldn't give up. Not too many players come to mind.
I can guarantee you that it isn't Damon Allen. :roll:
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Blue In BC wrote:I wonder who the Lions wanted in trade from the Argos that they wouldn't give up. Not too many players come to mind.
My guess would be Bernard Williams. It would have been a swap of starting import left tackles, plus a first-round pick coming to the Lions.
No way I'd give you a swap straight and for the primier award-winning offensive lineman at his rare position to excel at, for some unknown, unproven, quantity and a 1st round prostect throw in...

Not on your life after the struggle and anguish we suffered through to sign him again. You could throw in Bruce instead of the 1st rounder and I'd still turn you down.
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis