THE "DIFFERENCE MAKERS" ON DEFENSE!

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

Forget about our offence and the SMS for a moment. Dickenson, Pierce, Smith, Murphy, and Simon all had excellent seasons last year but the reason we won the Grey Cup was our defence. It's also the reason we'll be the favorites to win it again this year.

Our defense was such a key factor because it was so dangerous and so difficult to read. It forced opposition offences to play differently against us. It often embarassed oppopsition quarterbacks. Turnovers are often a key to a game...more for the psychological damage they inflict than the potential points they lead to. They change momentum. They inspire the team that creates them.

Last season our defence constantly turned the football over. They often created these turnovers at critical times! They scored touchdowns themselves...almost every player on the defense scored a touchdown...a very rare occurance in CFL history. They created sacks, fumbles, and interceptions in bunches! They made defence a weapon! They were aggressive and bold as well as talented, smart, and determined.

What were the keys?

1. Aaron Hunt: Hunt brought the final piece of the puzzle to the defensive line. In a four man defensive line the opposition had often doubled Williams and used an offensive tackle and back on Brent Johnson. Offences did that at great peril last year. Hunt's penetration into the backfield was huge. His strength and quickness were impressive. The opposition couldn't always double Johnson and Williams anymore and it opened a lot of things up.

Hunt also enabled the Leos to use a rotation effectively, resting even Johnson at times. We occasionally used Johnson inside, Hunt at nose tackle in the three man set, and kept the defensive line fresh. McKay and Kirk were also utilized in the rotation. Hunt should only be better this year as he was a converted defensive end playing the tackle position for the first time.

2. Floyd, Glatt, and Kidd

It was impossible to pick a key at the linebacker position last season. All three were crucial for different reasons. Floyd had a phenomenal season. With the defense struggling to stop running quarterbacks on second down the Leos went to Floyd in the middle on second downs after Game 5. Floyd's ability to blitz, roam the middle with range, and run down quarterbacks was crucial. It also best utilized his strengths. Floyd became one of the premiere linebackers in the league.

Javy Glatt had stuggled at times in the Leos first five games and was under some criticism. I had always believed Glatt was a better outside linebacker because he's such a good pass defender. In essence, what the Leos did after Game 5 was use Glatt to defend the wide side of the field while Floyd played inside on second downs and tracked the quarterback and running back. Kidd usually left the field for an extra defensive back. Glatt continued his progress playing the middle on first downs and stopping the run, while making key plays for interceptions on second downs. His occasional blitzes were also very effective. His teamates loved playing with him. He emerged as a top notch linebacker in the league.

Carl Kidd was also under some heat in his first five games of the season last year and deservedly so. It wasn't something he was used to and he brissled! Coming off a so so 2005 season it was beginning to look like Carl had lost the edge he needed to play with. From Game 6 he got it back. He had lost some weight from the start of the season and the previous year. He began to play faster but more importantly he played meaner and inspired. He was Carl of old. The Grey Cup 'yapping' match during the intros was the Carl we loved. Carl Kidd played his final season with our Leos as a highly respected leader among his teamates.

Everyone talks about the insertion of Joe Smith into the lineup after Game 5 as a key to the season. Perhaps the changes at linebacker were more important. They were both tactical and psychological. The team rallied around Glatt and Kidd, Floyd became a leader, and Glatt and Kidd turned the 'heat' into additional motivation. Kidd's play became so strong the Leos sometimes went with three linebackers on second down. The tactical changes by Ritchie after Gane 5 enabled all three to best utilize their strengths. It was as much a turning point as Smith's insertion into the lineup!

3. Korey Banks

Korey Banks was the key to our pass defense in our Grey Cup season. Forget his contract and his occasional trash talk. He allowed us to play pass defence differently. Banks struggled in his first five games as he adjusted from almost exclusively playing man in Ottawa to zone defense with our Leos. After that his role was crucial to so many of our interceptions. You win on pass defense when you can cover the short side of the field without help. Marsh is a shutdown corner but needs a shutdown defensive halfback to do that. They work together. Teams like to throe the short out when they need it and Marsh could play it tight with Bankks in there.

At safety Miles can cheat the wide side if he knows his shortside halfback can take the post away from the slot and still cover the corner and deep pattern. Banks could do both without giving up too much room underneath. It enabled Miles to read more and take chances on interceptions. Myles could now do what he does best! The addition of Banks enabled Washington, who had struggled at times at shortside halfback to move to the wideside. His chemistry with Myles, who could now tandem with him more often, payed dividends and Washington's excellent tackling ability also shined in his new position. In the meantime Glover stepped into the lineup at corner. His ability to cover and play the run as a rookie was impressive. He also had Miles able to provide more deep help due to the insertion of Banks. Finally, as Murphy had brought a much needed 'edge' to the offensive line Banks brought the same kind of 'edge' to the defensive secondary.

We have 10 starters returning to our Grey Cup winning defense nest season. We also have the "Mastermind" Dave Ritchie back to lead it. Johnson will play very well at linebacker after a few games. He's fast, hit's like hell, and is mean. He's a pure linebacker! All we have to find is a new defensive end. Not too bad headung ito 2007. Defense wins championships! It did last season and if we repeat it will be due more to our defense than our offence! The odds are looking good!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Blitz
Team Captain

Yep, our D was awesome last year and could even be better this year, with a new end who could be more productive...and Johnson for Kidd?
I'm thinking Jamal Johnson...John Henry. I'm very high on him...and believe he can become a great linebacker in the league!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

Banks brought back some of what Lions fans loved about Eric Carter and Da'shann Austin. That loud, in-your-face attitude.

I give a lot of credit to Banks for some of Miles' INTs. Without that 2nd ballhawk, Miles doesn't get the freedom that he had.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Good read Blitz....

I know a lot of people prefered the excitement of the ?04 Western Final over the ?06 win but that's only because that defence was nowhere close to the level that last year's unit played at which made for a much closer game.

I'm expecting a huge season from Banks who was dominant once he got comfortable with Ritchie's system. For what Joseph, Ranek and Armstead have to offer.... I will take a shutdown strong side HB every time and believe the Lions got the best player from the Renegades' dispersal draft.

And Wally hopefully will have some SMS space available when it comes time to re-sign Aaron Hunt.
Blitz
Team Captain

I'm expecting a huge season from Banks who was dominant once he got comfortable with Ritchie's system. For what Joseph, Ranek and Armstead have to offer.... I will take a shutdown strong side HB every time and believe the Lions got the best player from the Renegades' dispersal draft.
Without question Sammy!! :rockin: :rockin: