Halifax withdraws 2014 CW games bid

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Article here.

Whatever the timeline was on putting a CFL franchise in Halifax, this will surely delay it.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
MacNews
Team Captain

I thought Halifax wanted the infrastructure...
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Guess they wanted some third party to pay for it. You can forget expansion into that city for the immediate future.
Lionut
Hall of Famer

Tough to blame Halifax for pulling the pin. Costs were mushrooming, and it was hardly worth it considering that the Commonwealth Games stopped being a truly world class athletic event quite some time ago.

They can still get themselves a stadium with the right proposal to government, but that still doesn't answer the question as to who the owner would be. Lost in all this enthusiasm for putting a team in Atlantic Canada is the fact that not one prospective ownership group has stepped forward and said that they would like to run the team with the proper stadium in place.

Here's an interesting thought regarding Atlantic expansion -- Moncton. Moncton is getting a 10,000 seat stadium in time for the 2010 World Junior Track and Field Championships, and it will be built as to be expandable. Given that my wife is from New Brunswick, I know a little bit about the Maritimes, and I actually like Moncton's odds of putting a group together and pulling this off better than Halifax's. Moncton would view a CFL team as a real point of civic pride, rather like Regina with the Green Riders, and I just don't get the sense Halifax would feel the same way.
"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever."