Thanks to You

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

I know Mr. Braley has talked about selling his interest in our franchise and trying to strengthen the league in Ottawa, or elsewhere.

I think it's time that we gave thanks for why we are the reigning, and defending Grey Cup Champions, and how Mr. Braley is fortunate enough to be in a position to buy a Championship three times out of five, if there were no ceiling to the ceiling of the floor of our league.

I guess what I am trying to say is thanks Mr. Braley for comimg to our rescue when we needed a level playing field to show our commitment, and potential to this league, and for giving us a chance to make you proud of us your fans and our organization.
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

:thup: :thup:
squishy35
Legend

Mr. Braley is fortunate enough to be in a position to buy a Championship three times out of five

I agree with the thanks but I'm not sure what to make of this statement.

Are you saying he bought the GC? AFAIK he hasn't spent as much as other teams in the league in past seasons; nor has he designed any "I'll lend you a player for the playoffs" type of trade as we have seen recently by other teams.
lion24
Legend

squishy35 wrote:
Mr. Braley is fortunate enough to be in a position to buy a Championship three times out of five

I agree with the thanks but I'm not sure what to make of this statement.

Are you saying he bought the GC? AFAIK he hasn't spent as much as other teams in the league in past seasons; nor has he designed any "I'll lend you a player for the playoffs" type of trade as we have seen recently by other teams.
exactly, the team in the city i reside in tended to make some questionable transactions in the past :bang: i would say a thank you to bob ackles as well :thup: :thup:
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Mr. Braley takes some heat from time to time for his perceived interference in league activities. He seldom gets the credit he is due for his role in making the CFL healthier through his commitment to the Lions and the League. Well done Mr. Braley. You have given this team a city that loves them again and you have sown the seeds for a great future by your example. They say success starts at the top and I can think of no clearer example than the BC Lions. Thank you!
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
prairiedog
Rookie

Well for what it's worth, Wally did admit that at the time that Edmonton acquired Troy Davis and Dan Comiskey, he was very close to getting Joe Fleming to the Lions for a player in the off season. So no team is betterthan the other. I expect several other teams have attempted to do the same and I do not and never have condemned any teams for these "shady" transactions, as much as I agree that they are shady. The teams do what they have to do to win within the rules. If the league does not have proper rules in place to police these types of things, it's the league's fault, not the teams, not Wally's nor Hugh's nor Rob Katz nor Taman.

If the Esks didn't make that trade, who's to say that the Lions wouldn't have? Ask Wally, he will tell you he tried.
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

As much as I'd like to give 100% credit for the turnaround of this franchise to David Braley, an equal amount of credit has to go to Bobby Ackles.

:rockin: :rockin: :rockin: :rockin: :rockin: :rockin: :rockin:
squishy35
Legend

If the Esks didn't make that trade, who's to say that the Lions wouldn't have? Ask Wally, he will tell you he tried.

Do you have his E-mail address? :wink:
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

squishy35 wrote: Ask Wally, he will tell you he tried.

Do you have his E-mail address? :wink:[/quote]

Wallyrepeats@skydome.com
OrangeShoes99
Hall of Famer

prairiedog wrote:Well for what it's worth, Wally did admit that at the time that Edmonton acquired Troy Davis and Dan Comiskey, he was very close to getting Joe Fleming to the Lions for a player in the off season. So no team is betterthan the other. I expect several other teams have attempted to do the same and I do not and never have condemned any teams for these "shady" transactions, as much as I agree that they are shady. The teams do what they have to do to win within the rules. If the league does not have proper rules in place to police these types of things, it's the league's fault, not the teams, not Wally's nor Hugh's nor Rob Katz nor Taman.

The story I heard was Wally tired to trade Barrin Simpson for Fleming, not a player to be named on the off-season. Wally knew Barrin was gone, and tried to get what he could.
http://www.cflfansfightcancer.com :: Ask me how you can help us raise money for Cancer research and treatment on behalf of CFL fans.
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

Are you saying he bought the GC?
No Squishy... It was a poor choice of words on my part.

What I did wish to impart was that our owner is more than equal to make our team the talent of a champion each and every season, and that is exactly why we have instated a salary cap of the nature the league has.

We won the GC because we were the worthier team of eight, and because no one individual was worth more than the sum total of its parts together.

It is true that if not for Bobby Ackles we would probably not won a second GC in 1985 under Coach Mathews, and that he is essentially the reason for our success along with a cast of heroes none of which less important than Wally Buono, and Dave Ritchie.

It is true that his gracious return to our organization was a stroke of brilliance by our owner David Braley, and of his intuitive incite as to what it is at the source of the make up of a true winner.
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
squishy35
Legend

PigSkin_53 wrote:

Are you saying he bought the GC?
No Squishy... It was a poor choice of words on my part.

What I did wish to impart was that our owner is more than equal to make our team the talent of a champion each and every season, and that is exactly why we have instated a salary cap of the nature the league has.

We won the GC because we were the worthier team of eight, and because no one individual was worth more than the sum total of its parts together.

It is true that if not for Bobby Ackles we would probably not won a second GC in 1985 under Coach Mathews, and that he is essentially the reason for our success along with a cast of heroes none of which less important than Wally Buono, and Dave Ritchie.

It is true that his gracious return to our organization was a stroke of brilliance by our owner David Braley, and of his intuitive incite as to what it is at the source of the make up of a true winner.
Agreed :yes:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Canuck_4_Life wrote:As much as I'd like to give 100% credit for the turnaround of this franchise to David Braley, an equal amount of credit has to go to Bobby Ackles.

:rockin: :rockin: :rockin: :rockin: :rockin: :rockin: :rockin:
Best move Braley made was to hire Bob Ackles.
prairiedog
Rookie

OrangeShoes99 wrote:
prairiedog wrote:Well for what it's worth, Wally did admit that at the time that Edmonton acquired Troy Davis and Dan Comiskey, he was very close to getting Joe Fleming to the Lions for a player in the off season. So no team is betterthan the other. I expect several other teams have attempted to do the same and I do not and never have condemned any teams for these "shady" transactions, as much as I agree that they are shady. The teams do what they have to do to win within the rules. If the league does not have proper rules in place to police these types of things, it's the league's fault, not the teams, not Wally's nor Hugh's nor Rob Katz nor Taman.

The story I heard was Wally tired to trade Barrin Simpson for Fleming, not a player to be named on the off-season. Wally knew Barrin was gone, and tried to get what he could.
Well not to pull this thread off topic, but my source is Wally speaking live on the TEAM 1040 after it was official that Maas went to Hamilton. In that interview he said he didn't blame Edmonton because he was very close to getting Joe Fleming for a player to be named later. he also went on to say that if the league's trade deadline would be moved up to mid-August, it would put all this to rest.