joe kapp

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

lion24
Legend

i am not old enough to know about the older players but i know that joe kapp was a very good qb from my dad telling me and watching old highlights on the lions traditions. just wondering if some people could tell me about kapp and who he could be compared to in recent cfl history?
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?module=page&id=60

I had the honour of watching Joe Kapp played. He's the toughest quarterback I've ever seen wear a Lions uniform. He was affectionately known as Peanut Butter Joe in Vancouver because he was the spokesman for Squirrel Peanut butter. He's not the fastest QB, nor did he possess the strongest arm. Matter of fact, his passes looked like wounded ducks. He was also well known for this partying ways. He was "traded" to the Minnesota Vikings for a Canadian kid named Jim Young. He lead the Vikings to the Super Bowl but lost. He was the first QB to play in the Rose Bowl, Grey Cup and Super Bowl. If my memory serves me correctly, instead of running out of bounds he ran over a linebacker and knocked him out. He was that tough.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

You can read his biography on the BC Lions page or the CFL page:
http://www.bclions.com/index.php?module=page&id=3062
http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?module=hall ... 8&letter=k

He was twice a CFL all-star.

He also has his own web page where he has a biography:
http://www.joekapp.com/history.php

While Joe Kapp was good as a player, I don't think too many fans think highly of him when he was in Lions management in the 1990 season. While he did bring in Doug Flutie, his overall management of the team was not very good and he served the Lions for only that one season.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Kapp's biggest mistake as GM was to bring in his friend Larry Kuharich. He's was a disaster from the get go.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Another good article about Joe Kapp. He was the only quarterback to lead his team to a Rose Bowl, a Grey Cup, and a Super Bowl.

http://www.geocities.com/cfl_historical/Kapp.Joe.htm
lion24
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?module=page&id=60

I had the honour of watching Joe Kapp played. He's the toughest quarterback I've ever seen wear a Lions uniform. He was affectionately known as Peanut Butter Joe in Vancouver because he was the spokesman for Squirrel Peanut butter. He's not the fastest QB, nor did he possess the strongest arm. Matter of fact, his passes looked like wounded ducks. He was also well known for this partying ways. He was "traded" to the Minnesota Vikings for a Canadian kid named Jim Young. He lead the Vikings to the Super Bowl but lost. He was the first QB to play in the Rose Bowl, Grey Cup and Super Bowl. If my memory serves me correctly, instead of running out of bounds he ran over a linebacker and knocked him out. He was that tough.

thanks everyone for the links, do you think kapp was better than flutie? it is funny you talk about kapp's throws as "wounded ducks" as my dad(big bomber fan) thinks that ken ploen was the the bombers best qb and apparently he was hunting those "ducks" in his day as well!!! :lol:
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
Robbie
Hall of Famer

lion24 wrote:do you think kapp was better than flutie?
In a word: NO

Doug Flutie won six CFL Most Outstanding Player awards, while Joe Kapp never won that award. The closest he came was being a finalist in 1963, but lost to Ottawa's Russ Jackson.

In the 1964 Grey Cup, Kapp completed less than half of his pass attempts at 9-21-1-145.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I've seen both play. Both brings something to the table. In terms of toughest and leadership I go with Kapp. Both are average in arms strength. Ability to scramble and make things happen, Flutie by a country mile.
Rammer
Team Captain

Flutie is the QB that I would choose to win the game on a last minute drive and in the CFL if that is your choice that is the best in the business.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Ballistic Bob
Legend

Kapp started for the Vikes and Patriots for 3 years. Flutie not so much. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
Rammer
Team Captain

Ballistic Bob wrote:Kapp started for the Vikes and Patriots for 3 years. Flutie not so much. BB
Different eras in that nowadays the depth on clubs is far superior, but if you don't think Flutie could have made a difference as a starter dispite his size, I can no longer discuss this further with you. Politics, timing are the only thing that held Flutie back in the NFL, IMHO. Did Cap get his own breakfast cereal? 8)
Entertainment value = an all time low
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

where is capp on the all time pro football yards list??

How many grey cups did Kapp win?

Was Kapp any good at 40?
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Ballistic Bob
Legend

Did Flutie get his own Peanut Butter? Not so much BB
Ballistic Bob
Legend

Whats ironic is that Kapp was Fluties first GM in the CFL. go figure. BB
Arny