eskimos actually adhering to cap?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

lion24
Legend

i guess the eskimos are now going to play the same game as the rest of the cfl:
http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?module=news ... &nid=15329
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
LFITQ
Team Captain

I don't think there was any thought that they wouldn't ... :? :? :?

In years past they played the same game as the others, just they had WAAAYYY more leeway. And where did that leeway come from? How about the fact that people actually attended their games??

Hmm let me see, people come to games the team makes money. The team makes money the team can spend it on players. The team gets good players and coaches the team wins championships. Seems to me like the beginning all starts with the fan base.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
DerekDD
Starter

lion24 wrote:i guess the eskimos are now going to play the same game as the rest of the cfl:
http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?module=news ... &nid=15329
Big deal. The Eskimos just bought a secondary and it cost them big time. Until they release some big names to make up for the SMS room they just had to "make" for the 3 DB's they bought, I won't believe the Eskimos will be playing fair. Judging by their history since the 70's, I am suspicious of them.
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

They just did, DerekDD. Troy Davis and Kelly Wiltshire were released today.

They're playing the same game the 'Riders and every other team is.
Rammer
Team Captain

Solar Max wrote:They just did, DerekDD. Troy Davis and Kelly Wiltshire were released today.

Getting tot he point that I won't be able to suggest eskilating salaries are caused by them, almost.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

True, Rammer. But Saskatchewan (as confirmed by Eric Tillman) was also one of he major reasons that salaries escalated lately. Pots and kettles.
Rammer
Team Captain

Solar Max wrote:True, Rammer. But Saskatchewan (as confirmed by Eric Tillman) was also one of he major reasons that salaries escalated lately. Pots and kettles.
Esks have said that they were over the Cap by $250K, Riders by $700K in 06. Now the only difference that I see is that the Riders are up front about their Cap expenditures, while the Esks may still be paying out n some perks that is accounted for by their standards. Remember they have come out in the past and said that they were only $50K over the Cap, and that was due to a poor judgment call on not placing Pederson on the long term injury list. Can't trust them until an outside autditor gets ahold of the books. 8)
Entertainment value = an all time low
squishy35
Legend

Can't trust them until an outside autditor gets ahold of the books.

Can't and don't trust the Esks management. :thdn:
OrangeShoes99
Hall of Famer

And we can probably say the same thing about the Lions. All the finger pointing that goes on this league kills me. Every team has abused the "cap" at one point or another. Through, perks, loopholes, bonuses.

As Braley said up unitl this season the cap has been a "guideline" with no enforcable penalty.

After this year we'll see how seriously the league is going to treat it and how the teams adhere to it. Until then, there is no use worrying about who's signing who and who's on who's roster.
http://www.cflfansfightcancer.com :: Ask me how you can help us raise money for Cancer research and treatment on behalf of CFL fans.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Solar Max wrote:They just did, DerekDD. Troy Davis and Kelly Wiltshire were released today.

The Riders are never over the cap. And even if they were, it was just so they could compete with teams like the Lions. David Braley will ruin this league.

Sincerely,

MFOT
DerekDD
Starter

squishy35 wrote:

Can't and don't trust the Esks management. :thdn:
Since the 70's and on, they've been the biggest cheats in the CFL, hands down. Throw a little more water on that long Commonwealth grass even if it rained the day before, why don't ya?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

When is Hugh Campbell retiring ?
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Technically, Mr. Campbell already has retired as Club President. One would think that he would be retained in a special "advisory" role, however.

DerekDD, Commonwealth is owned by the City of Edmonton; they maintain the watering schedule, not the Eskimos. Add to that the fact that the Esks don't practice at CW, but next door on the Field Turf at Clarke Stadium. The only advantage they have is playing at CW 10 times or so a year, rather than once or twice as other teams do.

Pro athletes need make no excuses; they win or lose based on their performances, not perceived prejudices. The Eskimos won Grey Cups because they had a lot of people buy tickets, and thus had a bigger budget for players, and thus won more. It's economics, not a case of the fix being in.

Fans of other teams need look at their own teams first, if they want to see why they have a lack of success, IMO.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:When is Hugh Campbell retiring ?
The day he's lowered into the ground.