Feb 22 - Lions will make Murphy an offer today

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Jim Mullin
Team Captain

- OL Rob Murphy who is asking for $150,000 per year in a 1+1, will have an opening offer presented to him by the BC Lions.

- Carl Kidd is asking for 80k per season, but it looks like there are no takers. Kidd fired agent Jason Medlock and hired Darren Gill to re-shop him around the league. With Medlock, the only known offer tabled to Kidd was an insulting 40k from Hamilton (why even bother making the offer in the first place.). I hope Kidd stays in the league, I am a huge fan of what he brings in every area of the game both on an off the field. However, the most he can expect IMHO is 60k at the most. Good luck to him.

- Dave Dickenson and the Lions will start talks on an extention soon.

- Lou Deslauriers will be announced as the defensive co-ordinator of the SFU Clan.

-J
Last edited by Jim Mullin on Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Krown Countdown U on CHCH TV and the TSN Radio Network.
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

Thanks Jim! :rockin: I really wish Carl could've stayed-he gives so much!
Real women wear orange!!
Lionut
Hall of Famer

Jim Mullin wrote: With Medlock, the only known offer tabled to Kidd was an insulting 40k from Hamilton (why even bother making the offer in the first place.).
When I first heard that number, I dismissed the report as being inaccurate, but now that I have seen the 40K figure again, it must be true. Seriously, what was Marcel Desjardins thinking? That's an insulting offer to a veteran player like Kidd, and you know full well he won't accept it. I realize this is a business and all, but nonetheless veteran players deserve to be accorded a certain measure of respect, and 40K contract offers aren't part of that. Wally may drive tough bargains with players, but at least we know he would never pull a low rent move like that. :thdn:
"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever."
Rammer
Team Captain

Lionut wrote:
Jim Mullin wrote: With Medlock, the only known offer tabled to Kidd was an insulting 40k from Hamilton (why even bother making the offer in the first place.).
When I first heard that number, I dismissed the report as being inaccurate, but now that I have seen the 40K figure again, it must be true. Seriously, what was Marcel Desjardins thinking? That's an insulting offer to a veteran player like Kidd, and you know full well he won't accept it. I realize this is a business and all, but nonetheless veteran players deserve to be accorded a certain measure of respect, and 40K contract offers aren't part of that. Wally may drive tough bargains with players, but at least we know he would never pull a low rent move like that. :thdn:
By the sounds of Desjardins love for Medlock, he likely just tossed that offer to shut him up on the phone. He has no like for Medlock and that was pointed out in a recent newspaper article, he does not like the way Medlock negotiates, he just gave back a parting shot, IMO.
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Thanks for the insights Jim.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

If Murphy was a NI, he'd be worth $150K. As an Import, not so much. It's just a reality of the SMS.

I suspect that's well more than guys like Clermont or Glatt make.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Blue In BC wrote:If Murphy was a NI, he'd be worth $150K. As an Import, not so much. It's just a reality of the SMS.

I suspect that's well more than guys like Clermont or Glatt make.
I suspect you are right on both counts here!

Not sure what Rob Murphy's dollar value is with the SMS they have to work with and I am not sure I really care to speculate. What I do think though is that the Lions GM will have a narrow dollar value within which to negotiate and he won't compromise the palyer payroll to sign anyone but a top QB. Having said that with the salaries that they have dumped assumedly this year, he might have a way to keep the guy for one more year if he can't find a way to get a top replacement via a trade which appears less likely.

Maybe it will come down to the President and the owner saying do it as we see a chance for a repeat GC in 2007 and he gives us stability in a tough position to fill.

It could get more interesting as we see how this plays out.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Lionut
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
Lionut wrote:
By the sounds of Desjardins love for Medlock, he likely just tossed that offer to shut him up on the phone. He has no like for Medlock and that was pointed out in a recent newspaper article, he does not like the way Medlock negotiates, he just gave back a parting shot, IMO.
If you don't like the agent, just tell him you aren't interested. Better yet, have your assistant send him a very frosty, thanks-but-no-thanks e-mail. Nothing says, "get lost" quite like a curt, two line e-mail. I understand that Medlock is a huge pain in the butt, but there's still no excuse for being unprofessional, and an insulting contract offer to a seven year veteran just makes you and your team look bush league.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

You know Dennis, the comments that Desjardins made to the media coupled with the insulting offer..........it's like Desjardins was trying to send a message to CK and anyone else considering taking on this Medlock clown as an agent.

Makes me wonder why Desjardins despises the guy(Medloack) so much.
Lloyd
LFITQ
Team Captain

I think the Desjardins offer was more of a shot at Medlock than at Carl Kidd. Probably along the lines of "With you representing him the most I will offer is $40k".

And with no other takers at this time, and let's face it the players aren't stupid they can read the papers, Carl probably said time to lose Medlock and get someone respected by the league. You don't know if Medlock has just been blacklisted, so get a new agent and see if things change.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Jim Mullin
Team Captain

And if Printers ever does become available on the free agent market, guess who many GM's will have to deal with. No, it won't happen tommorrow, but it is in the realm of possibility.

Desjardins hasn't run a show long enough to grind an axe. Pretty short sighted.
Jim Mullin
Team Captain

I also know that Medlock was "pro-active" in the Jason Goss trade, which was finalized Feb. 13. BTW, Timmy Chang could be a diamond in the rough here. Reminds me of Tom Burgess.

From cbc.ca

The Tiger-Cats on Tuesday acquired receivers Richard Alston and Nicolas Bisaillon, a second-round pick in the 2007 draft and the negotiation rights to quarterback Timmy Chang from the Edmonton Eskimos for defensive back Jason Goss.
nelson95
Legend

Timmy Chang could be a star in the CFL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timmy_Chang
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
Lionut
Hall of Famer

nelson95 wrote:Timmy Chang could be a star in the CFL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timmy_Chang
No kidding. Dude sure did sling it playing for Hawaii, and did so in a spread, pass happy offense that very closely replicates most CFL offenses. The biggest adjustment for most young QBs coming up here from the States is the fact that the offense looks like nothing they've ever run before - that's not an issue for Chang. Simply because I'm a big fan of June Jones and the Hawaii football program, I hope Chang does well.

Then again, Jason Gesser came from a similar offense at Washington State, and so did Kevin Feterik at BYU, the Godfather of pass happy schools. It will be interesting to see how it works out for Chang, that's for sure.
David
Team Captain

I sure like current Hawaii QB Colt Brennan. He absolutely ate up Arizona State at the Hawaii Bowl. He's likely to be a fairly high NFL draft pick next year but his weight (190lbs on a 6'3" frame) might be a concern.

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar