Kidd fires Medlock

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

SammyGreene
Team Captain

Apparently Carl has fired Jason Medlock after the best deal offered to him so far was $40,000 from the Tiger-Cats. Kidd says the offer was insulting and now plans to represent himself.

If he can't get a new deal in 4 weeks he will retire.

Source: Rick Dhaliwal CKNW

This is what Ti-Cats GM Marcel Desjardins had to say about dealing with Medlock:
"The fact that Jason Medlock is his agent makes it just that much worse," says Marcel Desjardins, GM of the Tiger-Cats. "He's just a pain, the way he negotiates through the media. I don't need to deal with somebody like that."
CB123
Legend

Good, I hope everyone represented by him does the same.
BC Lions - 2006 Grey Cup Champions!
USC Trojans - 2007 Rose Bowl Champions!
Team Canada - 2007 World Junior Hockey Champions!
Vancouver Giants - 2007 Memorial Cup Champions!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

CB123 wrote:Good, I hope everyone represented by him does the same.
:whs: Lion fans have seen the Medlock movie before. Negotiate in the press. Good for Carl.
mard65

Would Carl Kidd take $50K to play here? If so, bring him back. Me and my tailgate crew could pay his salary out of the profits the stadium makes off us in beer over the course of the season. C'mon Wally bring back Carl Kidd, he's the Lions Trevor Linden as far as popularity and deserves to play one more season, win one more cup then be added to your coaching staff. Carl Kidd the 'peoples champ'.
Tighthead
Legend

With White being cut, I do wonder if the door is open a crack for old 26.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Well chopping Medlock is probably a good first step. After awhile, his kind of act wears real thin. Short term maybe good for clients, long term, probably not.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
kidder
Rookie

Hey !, ............ Way to go Carl !!!!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

JohnHenry wrote: And if GM's say they hate dealing with Medlock (Wally refuses to talk to him and will only communicate by fax :lol: ) probably means he's a good agent for the players...
Or that he is totally unrealistic in his demands.
hwgill
Legend

I'm sure Wally would be willing to pay Carl more than $40,000 for one year, and then Carl could retire with grace.
" ... a team not being prepared to play is the head coach’s responsibility.” - Jim Barker
maddeep73
Champion

Medlock got Dante Marsh his KC tryout and fat new contract in BC. He also did pretty good for his nephew with a $1.2M / 3-yr offer from the Lions, which Medlock publically advised Casey to sign (in hindsight that was probably wise advise, as the $175k for 2004 Casey was offered in the initial extention, then the $250-400k he could of made in '05 & '06, makes his $90k NFL earnings look pretty meek in comparison (but at least he's in the Show...or practices with them anyhow...

Medlock did pretty good for C. Kidd (the mouth that roared!) also, making him the second highest paid Lion defender with a salary in the $90k range over the past several seasons.

And if GM's say they hate dealing with Medlock (Wally refuses to talk to him and will only communicate by fax ) probably means he's a good agent for the players...
I hope this was tongue in cheek? Marsh's deal fell through, Printers isn't even dressing in the prime of his career, you need your agent to TALK to GM's to ensure a good contract, and Kidd just fired his dumb ass.

Medlock is a loudmouth jerk who just doesn't get it. Kidd will be back in the league now because no one can represent what they can bring better than he can.
Keepin' it real
David
Team Captain

hwgill wrote:I'm sure Wally would be willing to pay Carl more than $40,000 for one year, and then Carl could retire with grace.

As much as I'd love to see Carl back with us for one more Cup run, it's probably not so much about money with Wally. Irrespective of what Carl does on the field and all the intangibles he brings to the locker room, I just don't think Wally wants to bring Carl back at the expense of developing his younger linebackers like Johnson and Pottinger, who can only learn and improve by playing when the bullets are really flying.

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
midwestlion
Starter

I just don't think Wally wants to bring Carl back at the expense of developing his younger linebackers like Johnson and Pottinger, who can only learn and improve by playing when the bullets are really flying.
How is Carl playin mainly on special teams getting in the way. Roster space?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

You don't normally keep imports just to play on special teams unless that player is a kicker or punter.
midwestlion
Starter

gotcha