Ti-Cats sign McKay-Loescher

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

SammyGreene
Team Captain

Given his age, upside and birth certificate could be the best FA available as long as his back holds up as an every down player.

As much as I will miss Thelwell, this one hurts the most given we might have an opening at DE, depending on how long Wilson sticks down south. Too bad McKay-Loescher wanted to move east.

Sounds like he got a good deal:

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/ ... y.html?id=
Last edited by SammyGreene on Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lionut
Hall of Famer

You always have to be wary of a guy with a history of back injuries. They tend to become chronic, and aren't usually helped by engaging in hand-to-hand combat with 300 pounders every day. It's probably one of the reasons why Wally wasn't in a rush to waive big dollars and a long term deal at him...
"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever."
cromartie
Hall of Famer

That's a shame. He's a very smart player. However, given his injury tendencies, he's probably best suited being the fifth guy in a line rotation.
Rammer
Team Captain

ONe will always remember the Winnipeg game where he reversed the statue of liberty play, taking the ball from the Bomber QB and ran it to the house, where it was touch and go whether he was going to find the air he needed after airplaning the goal line and then getting planted by Floyd (IIRC).

This one was known about during the season, he wanted to get back tot he East for family reasons, so while he helped form the best 5 set of DL that I can recall in the league, he was not coming back.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

That statue of Liberty play is one of the funniest things I have ever seen in football. It was like "Doink, thanks, I will just run the other way with it now".

I was LMAO off for the whole 5 minutes it took him to run it down the field. Then I was worried he was hurt with player jumping on him.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Blitz
Team Captain

Given his age, upside and birth certificate could be the best FA available as long as his back holds up as an every down player.

As much as I will miss Thelwell, this one hurts the most given we might have an opening at DE, depending on how long Wilson sticks down south. Too bad McKay-Loescher wanted to move east.

Sounds like he got a good deal:
He deserved a good deal! A lot of teams would have liked to have him but he wanted to go East and Hamilton was willing to spend the money he was hoping for. A non-import with speed, toughness, and a great motor. I always believed the Leos should have played him a lot more...he was always great when he played. He was also very popular with his teammates and definitely one of my favorite defensive players. At least you guys won't have to put up with me moaning about his lack of playing time this season.

The Leos put in a whole lot of time and had tremendous patience with Wilson, who was outplayed by McKay-Lausher during most of the last two seasons but they loved Wilson's speed and upside. That patience was finally rewarded in the last few games of this past season and now Wilson has headed south. Makes me wonder if they would have played McKay more and gave him the opportunity to make more money if he might have stayed. Likely not, however, because he wanted to be closer to his family.

Guess my dream of having two starting non-import defensive ends in Johnson and McKay isn't going to happen but perhaps we still might get to see it with Johnson and Foley.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Who here remembers that McKay-Lausher was one of the two players the Lions picked with the draft picks they received from Toronto in exchange for Damon Allen? It's too bad McKay-Lausher couldn't develop into a long time superstar for the Lions in return for the superstar the sent away.
Rammer
Team Captain

Robbie wrote:Who here remembers that McKay-Lausher was one of the two players the Lions picked with the draft picks they received from Toronto in exchange for Damon Allen? It's too bad McKay-Lausher couldn't develop into a long time superstar for the Lions in return for the superstar the sent away.
That point was mentioned enough that I was familiar of McKay-Loescher being part of the Allen deal. He did us well last season, now it is time for one the young guns to fill the spot....time to step up Mr. Foley, who seems to possess some outstanding attributes required of a DE.
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I echo Rammer's comments about Rick Foley. From what I saw of his limited playing time he appears to possess alot of athleticism. The only thing lacking is experience given his late start in football.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Robbie wrote:It's too bad McKay-Lausher couldn't develop into a long time superstar for the Lions in return for the superstar the sent away.
Oh well... Dickenson, Printers, Pierce....3 first place finishes, 1 Grey Cup and 30,000-plus per game.

I think things have gone pretty well since we traded the superstar away. :yes:
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:I echo Rammer's comments about Rick Foley. From what I saw of his limited playing time he appears to possess alot of athleticism. The only thing lacking is experience given his late start in football.
I saw Foley at last year's eval camp here in Ontario........the guy is incredibly quick off the ball and getting to the QB.........seems ideal for a rush end.......but probably needs a little weight for run support.
Lloyd
OV - 54:40
Champion

Shi Zi Mi wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:I echo Rammer's comments about Rick Foley. From what I saw of his limited playing time he appears to possess alot of athleticism. The only thing lacking is experience given his late start in football.
I saw Foley at last year's eval camp here in Ontario........the guy is incredibly quick off the ball and getting to the QB.........seems ideal for a rush end.......but probably needs a little weight for run support.
Foley, at 245, is quite a bit bigger than Wilson (230 range?), so the idea that Foley needs more weight to play DE while Wilson didn't doesn't really wash. Like to see Foley get a shot to step-up as the other starting DE - seems to have the quickness and athleticism that a smaller rush end that Wally seems to prefer on the one side requires. I really doubt we'll see Foley start at DE though - can't see Bouno starting 2 NIs at DE; more likely a new import will "win" the job in competition at TC (the way Wilson did over McKay-Loescher or Booker did over Legault at DT a few years back) with Foley as a back-up DE and valuable special teams ace.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

You are forgetting that Buono was the one who gave Brent Johnson an opportunity to show he can play defensive end unlike others who considered Johnson as a backup.
OV - 54:40
Champion

TheLionKing wrote:You are forgetting that Buono was the one who gave Brent Johnson an opportunity to show he can play defensive end unlike others who considered Johnson as a backup.
No - i didn't forget that at all. Glatt also got to start at MLB last year.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

OV - 54:40 wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:You are forgetting that Buono was the one who gave Brent Johnson an opportunity to show he can play defensive end unlike others who considered Johnson as a backup.
No - i didn't forget that at all. Glatt also got to start at MLB last year.
The last two B.C. Grey Cup victories have been with non-import middle linebackers, Glatt in 2006 and Kelly Lochbaum in 2000. Lochbaum stepped in when fellow non-import MLB Jason Kralt broke his foot in the WDSF.