Ti-Cats sign McKay-Loescher

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

OV - 54:40
Champion

B.C.FAN wrote:
OV - 54:40 wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:You are forgetting that Buono was the one who gave Brent Johnson an opportunity to show he can play defensive end unlike others who considered Johnson as a backup.
No - i didn't forget that at all. Glatt also got to start at MLB last year.
The last two B.C. Grey Cup victories have been with non-import middle linebackers, Glatt in 2006 and Kelly Lochbaum in 2000. Lochbaum stepped in when fellow non-import MLB Jason Kralt broke his foot in the WDSF.
Are you sure that's the way it happened with Lochbaum? - i thought he was the starting MLB down the stretch and into the paly-offs in 2000 - Lochabum could hit/tackle; lost his starting job to a good one in Simpson the next year; Kralt was sort of a journeyman special teams leader / back-up LB type - did he win the starting MLB job at some point in 2000? - he did play some MLB for the Renegades and was OK and a smart player i thought - just not a real MLB type (he was a safety in CIAU ball) and not a real play-maker on D in the CFL.
Blitz
Team Captain

Given his age, upside and birth certificate could be the best FA available as long as his back holds up as an every down player.
In reading today's Vancouver Sun, coupled with the comments of opposition coaches during the season....McKay was the most coveted free agent out there! Doesn't surprise me...Hamilton is thrilled and believe he will be an impact player on defense.

The signing of Thelwell, at over $100,000 by Calgary shows how valuable non-import or Canadian players who can start are to a team. We've been fortunate to have guys like Thelwell, Jackson, and Clermont who could start at receiver. We're also fortunate that we can start a Canadian at middle linebacker in Glatt. He got off to a rough start in his first five games but played very well the rest of the season and should only get better.

We're fortunate to have such depth at the non-import positions. We can lose a player like Thelwell and have Josh Boden and Colon waiting in the wings...a luxury of riches!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
No - i didn't forget that at all. Glatt also got to start at MLB last year.
The last two B.C. Grey Cup victories have been with non-import middle linebackers, Glatt in 2006 and Kelly Lochbaum in 2000. Lochbaum stepped in when fellow non-import MLB Jason Kralt broke his foot in the WDSF.
Are you sure that's the way it happened with Lochbaum? - i thought he was the starting MLB down the stretch and into the paly-offs in 2000 - Lochabum could hit/tackle; lost his starting job to a good one in Simpson the next year; Kralt was sort of a journeyman special teams leader / back-up LB type - did he win the starting MLB job at some point in 2000? - he did play some MLB for the Renegades and was OK and a smart player i thought - just not a real MLB type (he was a safety in CIAU ball) and not a real play-maker on D in the CFL.
The Lions had a revolving door at MLB in 2000 but Kralt started eight games and won the job heading into the playoffs. He broke his foot in Edmonton in the WDSF when Daved Benefield rolled on him, and Lochbaum took over as starter for the WDF and Grey Cup, and played very well in both games.

Kralt was my favourite Lion in those days because he was a great hitter and quick to fill the holes but he never fully regained his form, even after going to Ottawa and getting the opportunity to start again.
David
Team Captain

Shi Zi Mi wrote:I saw Foley at last year's eval camp here in Ontario........the guy is incredibly quick off the ball and getting to the QB.........seems ideal for a rush end.......but probably needs a little weight for run support.
From my conversation with a certain *ahem* well respected BC Lion who knows a little something about D-line play (the same one who mentioned to me that Nautyn McKay-Loescher would definitely not be back in BC), told me that Ricky Foley would be better suited to linebacker than D-line, due to the fact that he's so raw and doesn't know enough technique at this point. And he figures that's where Lions brass have him slotted, so don't expect to see him line up at the rush end position come training camp.

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Champion

David wrote:
Shi Zi Mi wrote:I saw Foley at last year's eval camp here in Ontario........the guy is incredibly quick off the ball and getting to the QB.........seems ideal for a rush end.......but probably needs a little weight for run support.
From my conversation with a certain *ahem* well respected BC Lion who knows a little something about D-line play (the same one who mentioned to me that Nautyn McKay-Loescher would definitely not be back in BC), told me that Ricky Foley would be better suited to linebacker than D-line, due to the fact that he's so raw and doesn't know enough technique at this point. And he figures that's where Lions brass have him slotted, so don't expect to see him line up at the rush end position come training camp.

DH 8)
OK - so would Foley be fast enough or technique sound enough -given he was a star rush end in CIS ball - to play at outside backer or would he be looked on as a MLB? - and doesn't it seem a bit odd to use 2 first round draft picks last year to select two MLB prospects (Pottinger, a MLB type, the other one) who are going to be just back-ups playing behind a good one in Glatt?; or maybe they were thinking it's good to use 1st round picks to get 2 quality special team cover guys in those 2? Coulda drafted Fantuz instead of Pottinger.
Rammer
Team Captain

David wrote:

DH 8)
What position did Foley attempt in his NFL tryouts? I was under the impression that it was as a DL as well...
Entertainment value = an all time low
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Shi Zi Mi wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:I echo Rammer's comments about Rick Foley. From what I saw of his limited playing time he appears to possess alot of athleticism. The only thing lacking is experience given his late start in football.
I saw Foley at last year's eval camp here in Ontario........the guy is incredibly quick off the ball and getting to the QB.........seems ideal for a rush end.......but probably needs a little weight for run support.
Foley, at 245, is quite a bit bigger than Wilson (230 range?), so the idea that Foley needs more weight to play DE while Wilson didn't doesn't really wash. Like to see Foley get a shot to step-up as the other starting DE - seems to have the quickness and athleticism that a smaller rush end that Wally seems to prefer on the one side requires. I really doubt we'll see Foley start at DE though - can't see Bouno starting 2 NIs at DE; more likely a new import will "win" the job in competition at TC (the way Wilson did over McKay-Loescher or Booker did over Legault at DT a few years back) with Foley as a back-up DE and valuable special teams ace.
Wilson is listed at 6' 4", 240lbs on bclions.com.........and I have to say, he seemed bigger/heavier to me, so I'm not sure of his actual playing weight......Brent Johnson is 265lbs.

But the more I think about it.....IIRC Joe Montford played in the 235lb area as well.

So you may be correct, Foley already is at a decent size, 6'2" 245lbs, to play rush end........and maybe adding weight would come at the expense of some of his speed/quickness.

Anyway, he was much quicker than any of the other Dlineman at the Eval camp and blew around olineman in the 1 on 1 drills.
Lloyd
David
Team Captain

OV - 54:40 wrote:......or maybe they were thinking it's good to use 1st round picks to get 2 quality special team cover guys in those 2? Coulda drafted Fantuz instead of Pottinger.
Well I should point out that this player with whom I spoke was very high on Jay Pottinger. Thinks he going to be a star in this league one day.

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
David
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:The Lions had a revolving door at MLB in 2000 but Kralt started eight games and won the job heading into the playoffs. He broke his foot in Edmonton in the WDSF when Daved Benefield rolled on him, and Lochbaum took over as starter for the WDF and Grey Cup, and played very well in both games.
Are you sure that Kelly Lochbaum started in the Grey Cup B.C. FAN? I recall him playing, but I remember we signed a MLB (who is likely one of the more obscure recipients of a Lions Grey Cup ring.....ever) by the name of Damon Cogdell who IIRC was signed from a semi-pro league in Florida right at the end of the season.

Does anyone else remember this or have a video of the 2000 Grey Cup Classic to find out?

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:The Lions had a revolving door at MLB in 2000 but Kralt started eight games and won the job heading into the playoffs. He broke his foot in Edmonton in the WDSF when Daved Benefield rolled on him, and Lochbaum took over as starter for the WDF and Grey Cup, and played very well in both games.
Are you sure that Kelly Lochbaum started in the Grey Cup B.C. FAN? I recall him playing, but I remember we signed a MLB (who is likely one of the more obscure recipients of a Lions Grey Cup ring.....ever) by the name of Damon Cogdell who IIRC was signed from a semi-pro league in Florida right at the end of the season.

Does anyone else remember this or have a video of the 2000 Grey Cup Classic to find out?

DH 8)
Cogdell and Lochbaum each got playing time at middle linebacker in the the 2000 playoffs but Lochbaum started the Grey Cup and played the entire game according to a Mike Beamish story in the Vancouver Sun, Tuesday, Nov. 28, 2000:
Lochbaum, one of six middle linebackers used by the Lions this season, got the starting call in Sunday's game in place of Damon Cogdell, and rewarded the coaching staff's faith in him with six tackles.

In his option year, Lochbaum has been considering testing the free-agent waters because of the coaching staff's previous lack of faith. He had 10 tackles in a breakthrough game Aug. 17 against Toronto, but he lost his starting position when last year's rookie of the year, Paul Lacoste, arrived back in B.C. after being cut by the Indianapolis Colts. Lacoste was cut five weeks later after a lack of production and a sideline shoving match with Stubler conspired against him. The Lions' revolving door of middle 'backers continued, with Cogdell's recruitment from the semi-pro Miami Tropics.

But Cogdell's indifferent results - strong against the run, weak against the pass - opened the door for Lochbaum's starting assignment ... It didn't hurt that he led the team with three forced fumbles in playoff wins over Edmonton and Calgary. And Lochbaum was also motivated by the thought of playing in the Grey Cup. As a Canadian kid who grew up in the Fraser Valley, he had an extra surge of adrenaline running through him.

``It's been a road full of frustration for me,'' said Lochbaum, who has referred to himself as the ``Rodney Dangerfield'' of the Lions. ``I earned every step of the way, too. But I got to start the most important game of my life. I never came out on one defensive play today.''

Lochbaum said he owes a debt of gratitude to teammates such as rush end Daved Benefield, who lobbied with the coaching staff on his behalf.
Rammer
Team Captain

David wrote:
OV - 54:40 wrote:......or maybe they were thinking it's good to use 1st round picks to get 2 quality special team cover guys in those 2? Coulda drafted Fantuz instead of Pottinger.
Well I should point out that this player with whom I spoke was very high on Jay Pottinger. Thinks he going to be a star in this league one day.

DH 8)
IR a couple of seasons ago when Barrin Simpson was giving lots of credit to Glatt, suggesting that he was going to be a starting LB in the league sooner than later. That kind of worked out alright. :thup:
Champion

I could never figure why Lochbaum got little CFL opportunity to start at MLB again after playing so well in that GC run in 2000; replaced by a good one in Simpson and ended up going to Ottawa in the expansion draft (i think?) and played behind some mediocre import linebackers there, got cut, and a number of CFL teams with weak MLBing (the Riders with that clown Trevis Smith for one) passed on claiming him and he ended up back in BC playing special teams. Guess that 2000 play-off run was his moment in the CFL sun.
Rammer
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
David wrote:

DH 8)
Cogdell and Lochbaum each got playing time at middle linebacker in the the 2000 playoffs but Lochbaum started the Grey Cup and played the entire game according to a Mike Beamish story in the Vancouver Sun, Tuesday, Nov. 28, 2000:
Lochbaum, one of six middle linebackers used by the Lions this season, got the starting call in Sunday's game in place of Damon Cogdell, and rewarded the coaching staff's faith in him with six tackles.

In his option year, Lochbaum has been considering testing the free-agent waters because of the coaching staff's previous lack of faith. He had 10 tackles in a breakthrough game Aug. 17 against Toronto, but he lost his starting position when last year's rookie of the year, Paul Lacoste, arrived back in B.C. after being cut by the Indianapolis Colts. Lacoste was cut five weeks later after a lack of production and a sideline shoving match with Stubler conspired against him. The Lions' revolving door of middle 'backers continued, with Cogdell's recruitment from the semi-pro Miami Tropics.

But Cogdell's indifferent results - strong against the run, weak against the pass - opened the door for Lochbaum's starting assignment ... It didn't hurt that he led the team with three forced fumbles in playoff wins over Edmonton and Calgary. And Lochbaum was also motivated by the thought of playing in the Grey Cup. As a Canadian kid who grew up in the Fraser Valley, he had an extra surge of adrenaline running through him.

``It's been a road full of frustration for me,'' said Lochbaum, who has referred to himself as the ``Rodney Dangerfield'' of the Lions. ``I earned every step of the way, too. But I got to start the most important game of my life. I never came out on one defensive play today.''

Lochbaum said he owes a debt of gratitude to teammates such as rush end Daved Benefield, who lobbied with the coaching staff on his behalf.
I think the idea was to have both play, but Lauchbaum played an outstanding game, roughing up the opposition with huge hits. So he took the ball on the MLB spot and ran with it, as IR.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

OV - 54:40 wrote:Foley, at 245, is quite a bit bigger than Wilson (230 range?), so the idea that Foley needs more weight to play DE while Wilson didn't doesn't really wash. Like to see Foley get a shot to step-up as the other starting DE - seems to have the quickness and athleticism that a smaller rush end that Wally seems to prefer on the one side requires. I really doubt we'll see Foley start at DE though - can't see Bouno starting 2 NIs at DE; more likely a new import will "win" the job in competition at TC (the way Wilson did over McKay-Loescher or Booker did over Legault at DT a few years back) with Foley as a back-up DE and valuable special teams ace.
I don't think Buono could give a rat's patooty about import vs NI when it comes to that. Given BC has normally started at least 2 NI's over the mininum it's quite evident that birth certificates aren't as important to him as ability to play the position. Whoever grades out to be the best DE in camp will get the job. In 2005 Wilson not only beat out McKay-Loescher he also spelled the demise of incumbent Mookie Tugbenyoh. If pedigrees and backgrounds were important to Buono one would think McKay-Loescher would've held the trump card thanks to his days as a member of the vaunted Alabama Crimson Tide. Conversely Wilson came from Northwood University, a tiny Div II business school in Michigan with an enrollment of less than 2000. Northwood plays in the non-descripit Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference against other equally legendary schools such as Gannon, Mercyhurst, Ashland and Ferris State. No Northwood player has ever been drafted by the NFL. Obviously somebody did some good bird-dogging to find Wilson and he won the spot last year the old fashioned way, he earned it. He was looked upon as a raw talent with an explosive burst off the line that set him apart from others auditioning for the spot.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Champion

Hambone wrote:
OV - 54:40 wrote:Foley, at 245, is quite a bit bigger than Wilson (230 range?), so the idea that Foley needs more weight to play DE while Wilson didn't doesn't really wash. Like to see Foley get a shot to step-up as the other starting DE - seems to have the quickness and athleticism that a smaller rush end that Wally seems to prefer on the one side requires. I really doubt we'll see Foley start at DE though - can't see Bouno starting 2 NIs at DE; more likely a new import will "win" the job in competition at TC (the way Wilson did over McKay-Loescher or Booker did over Legault at DT a few years back) with Foley as a back-up DE and valuable special teams ace.
I don't think Buono could give a rat's patooty about import vs NI when it comes to that. Given BC has normally started at least 2 NI's over the mininum it's quite evident that birth certificates aren't as important to him as ability to play the position. Whoever grades out to be the best DE in camp will get the job. In 2005 Wilson not only beat out McKay-Loescher he also spelled the demise of incumbent Mookie Tugbenyoh. If pedigrees and backgrounds were important to Buono one would think McKay-Loescher would've held the trump card thanks to his days as a member of the vaunted Alabama Crimson Tide. Conversely Wilson came from Northwood University, a tiny Div II business school in Michigan with an enrollment of less than 2000. Northwood plays in the non-descripit Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference against other equally legendary schools such as Gannon, Mercyhurst, Ashland and Ferris State. No Northwood player has ever been drafted by the NFL. Obviously somebody did some good bird-dogging to find Wilson and he won the spot last year the old fashioned way, he earned it. He was looked upon as a raw talent with an explosive burst off the line that set him apart from others auditioning for the spot.
Should be a good chance then that a supposed raw talent like Foley with an explosive burst off the line preportedly too and from hardly a football powerhouse like York will get a good chance to earn a rush end spot too. Lots of real competition in TC is always a good thing one would think and of course it can always be assumed that the coaching staff just goes with who they think grade out the "best" players at every position.