2007 Schedule

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Wally!
Starter

What do guys think about the Thursday night home games? Given they are in the summer, I like them. No wife nagging that I'm off at football on Friday night, especially on the August long weekend!

Now for the the two Staurday games after the NHL season starts, I just don't get what they're thinking. Wouldn't afternoon games be better so you avoid any conflicts with the only other major sports team in town?
Lionut
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:Looks like TSN were really pushing these Thursday games with a number of doubleheaders.
Gee, you'd almost think that TSN had a fair bit of influence over the schedule... :wink: Let's face it -- TSN pays a lot of the bills, and now has an effective veto over the schedule. When they say dance, we dance. On the bright side, however, it wasn't that many years ago that all the road games weren't televised, and at least that has been addressed the last couple of years.
"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever."
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

So, the CFL, which will have been in full swing since June, has to adjust it's existing schedule to accommodate the almighty NHL? I recall that last year,when there was a scheduling conflict between the Lions and Canucks, the Lions did alright, despite the moaning and wringing of hands of many Chicken Littles. :wink:
Real women wear orange!!
D
Team Captain

I own The Grey Cup! .com
Wally!
Starter

CatsEyes wrote:So, the CFL, which will have been in full swing since June, has to adjust it's existing schedule to accommodate the almighty NHL? I recall that last year,when there was a scheduling conflict between the Lions and Canucks, the Lions did alright, despite the moaning and wringing of hands of many Chicken Littles. :wink:
That's not exactly what I meant. Face it, the Canucks are #1 in this town. To me, it would make more sense to avoid conflicts if possible to maximize the Lions gate revenue.

Aslo, I'm just being selfish as I have season tix to both. A CFL / NHL double header would be a great day. The conflicts this past season were when the Canucks were on the road anyway. Chances are, I would go to the Lions game if there was a home game conflict as there are less of them, and I can always get more than face value for my Canucks tickets whereas that is pretty well impossible with Lions tickets.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

notahomer
Hall of Famer

Lionut wrote:
SammyGreene wrote:Looks like TSN were really pushing these Thursday games with a number of doubleheaders.
Gee, you'd almost think that TSN had a fair bit of influence over the schedule... :wink: Let's face it -- TSN pays a lot of the bills, and now has an effective veto over the schedule. When they say dance, we dance. On the bright side, however, it wasn't that many years ago that all the road games weren't televised, and at least that has been addressed the last couple of years.
:thup: I have nothing against radio but I want to watch those road games on TV!
Black99GT

i just want this damn season to start!!! i need my CFL Football :rockin:
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

t-e-r-r-i-b-l-e s-c-h-e-d-u-l-e
"I hope he enjoys Stornoway and I hope he's happy there for a long time"

-Prime Minister Harper on new Liberal Leader St?phane Dion
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Lionut wrote:
Make no mistake. TV has a huge influence on the schedule. In Canada TSN's influence likely outweighs that of the league itself.

Whether people like it or not there are some very basic considerations regarding television's influence on the economics of all sports.
1) The core business objective of television is to sell advertising. Advertising is their primary revenue stream.
2) Pro sports relies heavily on television revenue to exist in their varying forms as we know them.

When you combine the two factors pro sports existence relies heavily on television advertising. It doesn't take too long to figure out the math. It becomes in the CFL's best interests that their schedule be structured in a manner to that best leverages the television advertising dollar. Ergo TSN for all intents is the CFL schedule maker.......and they pay a handsome fee in terms of their contract with the CFL to do so. Whatever schedule generates the most television advertising revenue ultimately generates the most revenue for CFL teams.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
MacNews
Team Captain

I'm not too impressed with this schedule:

-Too many Thursday night games
-Too many games starting at odd (IE: Not 7PM) times like 3:30,4,6PM etc

I used to know when games would be on (Friday or Saturday) and what time (7 or 7:30PM) now I have no idea.
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

MacNews wrote:I'm not too impressed with this schedule:

I used to know when games would be on (Friday or Saturday) and what time (7 or 7:30PM) now I have no idea.
the power of Ipod Calendars :wink:
"I hope he enjoys Stornoway and I hope he's happy there for a long time"

-Prime Minister Harper on new Liberal Leader St?phane Dion
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

MacNews wrote:I'm not too impressed with this schedule:

Yikes. I agree that the Thursday and odd start times are not optimal for my liking.

I had to do a double take to see if there was an error for games at 3:30 starts in Toronto and Hamilton and on Thursday and a Friday while BC fans are at work or school. It is bad enough away starts at 5 pm Vancouver time like Winnipeg on a Friday.

Of the 9 away games, 2 start at 3:30 PST on weekdays.

I am not a huge fan of so many summer games but that is what the League went to some years ago and the sad thing is that the July games are so often poorly attended (relatively speaking).

The league schedule has the Lions playing their first league game June 28 in Toronto followed by:

- 2 of 4 July games at home
- 3 of4 Aug games at home
- 2 of 4 Sept games at home
- 1 0f 4 Oct games at home
- 1 of 1 Nov games at home.

2007 B.C Lions Schedule

PRE SEASON

Friday, June 15 vs. Saskatchewan 7:30pm

Thursday, June 21 @ Edmonton 6:00pm

REGULAR SEASON

Thursday, June 28 @ Toronto 3:30pm

FRIDAY, JULY 6 vs. EDMONTON 7:30pm

Friday, July 13 @ Saskatchewan 7:00pm

THURSDAY, JULY 19 vs. HAMILTON 7:30pm

Saturday, July 28 @ Calgary 4:00pm

THURSDAY, AUGUST 2 vs. SASKATCHEWAN 7:30pm

FRIDAY, AUGUST 10 vs. WINNIPEG 7:30pm

Friday, August 17 @ Calgary 7:00pm

FRIDAY, AUGUST 31 vs. MONTREAL 7:30pm

Sunday, September 9 @ MONTREAL 10:00am

SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 15 vs. TORONTO 7:00pm

Saturday, September 22 @ Saskatchewan 4:00pm

SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 29 vs. CALGARY 7:00pm

Friday, October 5 @ Winnipeg 5:00pm

Saturday, October 13 @ Edmonton 12:00pm

SATURDAY, OCTOBER 20 vs. EDMONTON 7:00pm

Friday, October 26 @ Hamilton 3:30pm

SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 3 vs. CALGARY 7:00pm
Last edited by Toppy Vann on Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Realistically how many people can watch a Thursday game starting at 3:30 PM. Most of them are still at their work place.