Murphy not an All-Star?????

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

OrangeShoes99
Hall of Famer

Can someone please explain to me how the leagues top offensive lineman is not named to the all-star team?

Murph56 got ROBBED.

POS
PLAYER
TEAM
#
YEARS

QB
HENRY BURRIS
CGY STAMPEDERS
1ST

TACKLE
GENE MAKOWSKY
SSK ROUGHRIDERS
2ND
2006, ?05

TACKLE
BERNARD WILLIAMS
TOR ARGONAUTS
1ST

GUARD
DAN COMISKEY
EDM ESKIMOS
4TH
2006, ?05, ?04, ?03

GUARD
SCOTT FLORY
MTL ALOUETTES
2ND
2006, 05

CENTER
BRYAN CHIU
MTL ALOUETTES
5TH
2006, ?05, ?03, ?02, ?01

RB
JOFFREY REYNOLDS
CGY STAMPEDERS
1ST

FB
CHRIS SZARKA
SSK ROUGHRIDERS
2ND
2006, ?05

SB
GEROY SIMON
B.C. LIONS
3RD
2006, ?04, ?03

SB
MILTON STEGALL
WPG BLUE BOMBERS
7TH
?06,05,02,01,00,99, 97

REC
ARLAND BRUCE
TOR ARGONAUTS
3RD
2006, ?05, ?02

REC
KERRY WATKINS
MTL ALOUETTES
2ND
2006, ?05

***EDIT IT SEEMS THE VERSION I SAW WAS FROM THE CFLPA.

If this is the case that's even a bigger diss coming from his peers.

I have attached the file.
Last edited by OrangeShoes99 on Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I don't know where you got your list but Murphy was named to the CFL all-star team. Here's the list:
2006 CFL All-stars
Rammer
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:I don't know where you got your list but Murphy was named to the CFL all-star team. Here's the list:
2006 CFL All-stars
Thank goodness for that not being overlooked. But this being the CFL, it would not have been far from the reality of possibility, had it been OS99's version.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Robbie
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:I don't know where you got your list but Murphy was named to the CFL all-star team. Here's the list:
2006 CFL All-stars
That list is different than this list: :?
http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?module=news ... &nid=15099
D
Team Captain

well there is some sort of screw up cuz I think OS's version is from the players assoc. also .... the poster shows former Lion Bernard Williams in Murphy's spot :?
I own The Grey Cup! .com
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The official league all-star team voted on by the media included Murphy. The CFLPA all-star team voted on by the coaches and players didn't include him. I guess the media got this one right. :wink:
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:The official league all-star team voted on by the media included Murphy. The CFLPA all-star team voted on by the coaches and players didn't include him. I guess the media got this one right. :wink:
:whs: What player in his right mind would name Henry freakin' Burris as an All Star QB? :shock: Definitely flawed there.
Real women wear orange!!
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

The list Brian is talking about is as voted upon by members of the CFLPA. This all-star team isn't to be confused with the previous CFL All-Star team which is voted on by media. Murphy's Outstanding Lineman award was also voted on by the media. So maybe it shouldn't be surprising that this latest All-Star team might differ from the media driven efforts.

Who knows what "voter turnout" may have been like or how the process worked. As for Murphy judging by the reactions of many of his opponents (remember Montford) I doubt he was going to win many popularity contests amongst his opponents/peers.

As for Burris' selection at QB I did a double-take on that one too. But then I remembered this wasn't a stellar year for quarterbacks. Many starters (Dickenson, Allen, Glenn, Joseph) lost significant time due to injuries. Others such as Calvillo and Maas simply had poor years by their own standards. Ultimately it got down to voters picking their poison between Ray and Burris. Neither had outstanding years but both stayed healthy all year and had decent numbers. Dickenson and Pierce had arguably the best seasons of all CFL QBs but the 60/40 split in playing time due to Dickenson's injuries likely caused a similar split in the vote.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

The list Brian is talking about is as voted upon by members of the CFLPA. This all-star team isn't to be confused with the previous CFL All-Star team which is voted on by media.
What isthe point of 2 all-star teams? Way to go CFL.
LFITQ
Team Captain

Lion Guy wrote:
The list Brian is talking about is as voted upon by members of the CFLPA. This all-star team isn't to be confused with the previous CFL All-Star team which is voted on by media.
What isthe point of 2 all-star teams? Way to go CFL.
CFL all star team

CFLPA all star team

Can't blame the League because player's union was to befuddle things up and have their own selection as well..
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

LFITQ wrote:Can't blame the League because player's union was to befuddle things up and have their own selection as well..
And you can't blame the player's union because the league wants to befuddle (befuddle Ken?!?!?) and let the media make the league's selections. ;-)

Oops. Did I say that out loud? Sorry Jim.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
LFITQ
Team Captain

Hambone wrote: (befuddle Ken?!?!?)
Sorry. I was talking to someone today about Billy's Puddle so "befuddle" musta just came out ....
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Tighthead
Legend

I would think the players are a little hesitant to vote for a "carpetbagger" in his first year.
sixbeamers
Rookie

Left tackle Rob Murphy, the CFL's lineman of the year in 2006, was one of 10 players who made the league's all-star team last year who were not included on the dream team decided by the CFL Players' Association.
In other words, members of the Football Reporters of Canada -- the print and broadcast media who decide the all-star teams and individual trophy winners at the end of the season -- differ markedly from the players.
The CFLPA all-star team is announced in February. The FRC's choices are announced in November, before and during the Grey Cup.
Maybe the guys on the field know something the people in the press box don't know.
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

sixbeamers wrote:Left tackle Rob Murphy, the CFL's lineman of the year in 2006, was one of 10 players who made the league's all-star team last year who were not included on the dream team decided by the CFL Players' Association.
In other words, members of the Football Reporters of Canada -- the print and broadcast media who decide the all-star teams and individual trophy winners at the end of the season -- differ markedly from the players.
The CFLPA all-star team is announced in February. The FRC's choices are announced in November, before and during the Grey Cup.
Maybe the guys on the field know something the people in the press box don't know.
How often has the FRC and CFLPA all-star teams matched player for player?

The most notable similarity would be the NHL with the Hart and Pearson trophies. This past hockey season saw Thornton awarded the Hart and Jagr awarded the Pearson.