Grey Cup back here in 2009?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

120dB
Legend

possible we'll get the 2009 Grey Cup? Toronto and Montreal are next two in line; they may give 2009 to a non-dome city though, but having it here before the Olympics would be cool
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

I would likely say that Calgary gets it before Vancouver does again-they've been lobbying for it for a while. It should definitely be a Western City though! :rockin:
Real women wear orange!!
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I'd bet the farm on Calgary for 2009. With Toronto re-entering the mix the Grand National Drunk seems to be getting close to a full rotation through all cities. With Toronto and Montreal coming up Hamilton (1996) then Calgary (2000) are the CFL cities with the longest stretches without hosting the Grey Cup.

Calgary is always more than willing to take on the task of hosting it. 2012 will be the 100th. Toronto being Canada's largest city and main media centre will likely be a lock for 2012. If Calgary slots in just ahead of Hamilton they'd be back on an East-West rotation.

I also have a feeling Hamilton will want to host it again very soon. The event didn't go over well back in '96, particularly at the gate. However that was the darkest days for the CFL, not just in Hamilton but all across the country. Just as Calgary is always willing to host so is Edmonton. With BC having the game in 2005 I think we'll be looking at 2013 for their next crack.

Gazing into my navel......I mean crystal ball:
2007 - Toronto
2008 - Montreal
2009 - Calgary
2010 - Hamilton
2011 - Edmonton
2012 - Toronto
2013 - Vancouver or Regina
2014 - Montreal, Ottawa or Maritimes?

But hey! Since the Chicken Littles of the world are proclaiming the Dome will be imploded immediately after the Olympic closing ceremonies and the only alternative on the horizon is the Whitecaps 15000 expandable to 30000 seat stadium make 2013 Regina and slot Vancouver in for say 2030. ;-)
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
120dB
Legend

Does the CFL just arbitrarily decide which city ought to get the Grey Cup based on fair rotation or is there a bidding war between owners? I was under the impression the owner that makes the best bid gets it.

Would David Braley have to outbid someone else? Or is it just given to a team irregardless of their bid?
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

120dB wrote:Does the CFL just arbitrarily decide which city ought to get the Grey Cup based on fair rotation or is there a bidding war between owners? I was under the impression the owner that makes the best bid gets it.

Would David Braley have to outbid someone else? Or is it just given to a team irregardless of their bid?
There is a bidding process. Teams interested do have to submit a proposal. I think the league still would like the game to move around to each city. That's not necessarily on a strict 8 year cycle but the smaller centres like Regina and Hamilton should still get a crack at it say every 11 or 12 years. In recent years all have shown they are just as capable of putting on the event on as grand a scale as the large cities. Grey Cup is a huge economic windfall for whichever city hosts it and a real financial lifeline for the community owned teams.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:I'd bet the farm on Calgary for 2009. With Toronto re-entering the mix the Grand National Drunk seems to be getting close to a full rotation through all cities. With Toronto and Montreal coming up Hamilton (1996) then Calgary (2000) are the CFL cities with the longest stretches without hosting the Grey Cup.

Calgary is always more than willing to take on the task of hosting it. 2012 will be the 100th. Toronto being Canada's largest city and main media centre will likely be a lock for 2012. If Calgary slots in just ahead of Hamilton they'd be back on an East-West rotation.

I also have a feeling Hamilton will want to host it again very soon. The event didn't go over well back in '96, particularly at the gate. However that was the darkest days for the CFL, not just in Hamilton but all across the country. Just as Calgary is always willing to host so is Edmonton. With BC having the game in 2005 I think we'll be looking at 2013 for their next crack.

Gazing into my navel......I mean crystal ball:
2007 - Toronto
2008 - Montreal
2009 - Calgary
2010 - Hamilton
2011 - Edmonton
2012 - Toronto
2013 - Vancouver or Regina
2014 - Montreal, Ottawa or Maritimes?

But hey! Since the Chicken Littles of the world are proclaiming the Dome will be imploded immediately after the Olympic closing ceremonies and the only alternative on the horizon is the Whitecaps 15000 expandable to 30000 seat stadium make 2013 Regina and slot Vancouver in for say 2030. ;-)
IMHO, even though they had it in 2004, Ottawa will get a crack at it sooner as part of the re-entry deal.
Lloyd
cromartie
Hall of Famer

1) Toronto will get the 100th.

2) Vancouver will get 2009.

I'm with Lloyd. Ottawa is likely to get another one as part of the re-entry deal. Probably the third or fourth returning year, provided it does not conflict with the above.
Last edited by cromartie on Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

2010 would put it after the Olympics. I would think that they would much rather shoot for 2009 for a number of reasons. The Grey Cup is in Nov. Olympics start 6 weeks later thereabouts. The advertising opportunities arising out that are huge. National TV Coverage. Large numbers of out of town guests, some media coverage in the US of the Grey Cup. Braley and the 2010 Committee should really pool there resources here. At the Grey Cup, they could do a test run of opening ceremonies stuff. Maybe not the whole product but a taste. Gives the volunteers a chance for some live performance opportunities. Maybe a chance for other volunteers to practise their hosting skills etc. etc. A chance to introduce Olympic hopefuls, maybe trot the Olympic Flame through or have it burn for the Week of Grey Cup? The possibilities are endless.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Docbeer
Legend

Some of the Olympic related meetings I'm privy to have brought up a 2009 Grey Cup - mostly to test the infrastructure/security under a load...I'm not saying it was written in stone or even brought forward by the Lions - just that the idea has been floated
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things"
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

It would be an excellent test run.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:It would be an excellent test run.
Agreed. I will modify my post accordingly.
Joshua

2010 is the 'Riders 100th anniversary (cue the 2-cups jokes :sigh: )

the renos at TF (new turf this year ect) are aimed at hosting the cup in that year...being their 100th and the success they have had hosting the game I'd say the chances are good
rb
Champion

Hard for me to believe the Grey Cup game will be in Vcr in '09. There are a bunch of cities that are ahead in the queue-- Mtl, Cgy, Regina, Ham, Edm. Also, I think that a Vancouver Grey Cup in '09 wouldn't generate nearly as much excitement with the Olympics just a couple of months away. And it would be a tough sell even for 2010 as the Olympics would be stealing all the thunder well into the promotional period for the 2010 Grey Cup.

2011, at the earliest, for a Grey Cup game in Vancouver.
David
Team Captain

Agreed. Despite the fact the last Grey Cup was one of the most successful ever, I'm not convinced that 4 years is enough time in between games, especially with other cities in the running for it. Perhaps in 2012, if it's the last year for BC Place?

However, if there are significant upgrades to BC Place in advance of the Winter Olympics, then perhaps 2009 is the right stage. But I'm not holding my breath....

Here is the recent status report on Olympic venues as provided by the Vancouver Sun on 2/12/07:

BC PLACE

Events: Opening and closing ceremonies, and nightly medal presentations.

Type: Renovation

Original cost: $2.5 million from Vanoc, with undetermined amount from BC Pavilion Corp.

Updated estimate:
$3.8 million (Vanoc: $2.5 million)

Start of contruction: June 2007 (no change)

Completion:
December 2008 (no change)

Contractor:
To be determined

Scope change: The accidental deflation of the roof in January hasn't deterred Vanoc. But it has sharpened debate over the building's post-Games future. Vanoc's capital contribution is mostly for the Paralympic ceremonies. It is renovating access and washrooms for people with disabilities. B.C. Pavilion Corp is under-taking renovations as well but hasn't released a cost estimate.

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

It'll interesting to see how they work these renovations with the Lions schedule each year.