New SMS News.....not very happy

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Rammer
Team Captain

Clipped this tiny blurb out of the Edmonton Sun today, by Jonathon Huntington....thought that this may raise an eyebrow or two.
Jonathon Huntington wrote:Apparently, teams can be over the cap during the regular season but must be down to the limit by Week 19.
So while we sat back on the 06 SMS implimentation, only to have the 07/08 seasons actual SMS end arounded by the bonus exemption window, now we can pretty much write off the 07 season, as it is the final weeks payroll that will be looked at. So teams will have time to ask for players to restructure their salary by seasons end, only helping towards an 08 SMS.......unbelievable.
Entertainment value = an all time low
MacNews
Team Captain

Hopefully they'll get it right...eventually?
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

The League will find another way not to implement the SMS next year too, so it's as good as dead.

On the good side, Sask can continue to overspend and have little to show for it. Yin/Yang.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Rammer wrote:Clipped this tiny blurb out of the Edmonton Sun today, by Jonathon Huntington....thought that this may raise an eyebrow or two.
Jonathon Huntington wrote:Apparently, teams can be over the cap during the regular season but must be down to the limit by Week 19.
So while we sat back on the 06 SMS implimentation, only to have the 07/08 seasons actual SMS end arounded by the bonus exemption window, now we can pretty much write off the 07 season, as it is the final weeks payroll that will be looked at. So teams will have time to ask for players to restructure their salary by seasons end, only helping towards an 08 SMS.......unbelievable.
That statement is pretty vague and can be interpreted or misinterpreted. Define "over the cap during the season". The cap figure is a season limit. It's not a game by game limit although it may be wise for a team to track their costs on a game by game basis. Conceivably early in the season a team could be on pace to exceed the season limit then make some moves through the season that bring it back down. I don't think that statement means teams can get away with paying 120% of 1/18th of the total cap for 17 games just as long as they are at or under 100% of 1/18th of the cap for the final game. I interpret it to be merely a statement that if you want to overspend early fill yer boots just as long as the grand total at the end of the year still comes in under.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
OrangeShoes99
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:I interpret it to be merely a statement that if you want to overspend early fill yer boots just as long as the grand total at the end of the year still comes in under.
:whs:
http://www.cflfansfightcancer.com :: Ask me how you can help us raise money for Cancer research and treatment on behalf of CFL fans.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

All "caps" work like that. In the NFL, you're required to be at or under the cap as of May 1st. You don't have to be constantly under a cap.

I don't see a problem here.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

I'll say it again..........nothing but lip service.

As long as player salaries are low and the league does not have the resources to ferret out side deals.........enforcing an SMS is impossible.

Chump change side deals (<$50K) would be near impossible to find......especially when the team owner owns 114 companies.

If Rob Murphy does not sign in the NFL, look for him to sign a new $100K contract with the Lions.........and his wife gets a $50K daycare co-ordinator position (non-existent daycare) at one of Braley's other businesses........how the hell is the league going to find that?
Lloyd
Rammer
Team Captain

Loose lips sink ships.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:Loose lips sink ships.
Can you say "non-disclosure agreement"?.............I knew you could.
Lloyd
Rammer
Team Captain

Shi Zi Mi wrote:
When you begin to add people to the mix, ie wife (=sister in law, children, and so on), so once again I will suggest loose lips sink ships. 8)
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
Shi Zi Mi wrote:
When you begin to add people to the mix, ie wife (=sister in law, children, and so on), so once again I will suggest loose lips sink ships. 8)
Ahhhh......so you forsee CFL "heavy hands" interrogating children under a glaring light.........interesting. :lol:

IMHO, and quite simply, the league will have no right to investigate the personal lives of anyone.......they will have the right to go through the "official" books......(for anyone who has any experience with small businesses.......there's usually 2 sets of books for income tax reasons)..........the "official" books will be properly "sanitized" for CFL league office consumption.
Lloyd
Rammer
Team Captain

Shi Zi Mi wrote:
Rammer wrote:
Shi Zi Mi wrote:
Ahhhh......so you forsee CFL "heavy hands" interrogating children under a glaring light.........interesting. :lol:

IMHO, and quite simply, the league will have no right to investigate the personal lives of anyone.......they will have the right to go through the "official" books......(for anyone who has any experience with small businesses.......there's usually 2 sets of books for income tax reasons)..........the "official" books will be properly "sanitized" for CFL league office consumption.
No interigation, just word getting around from one place to another.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

There will always be rumour and conjecture.......but, you can't do anything without cold, hard facts/proof.......something the league will have no right to obtain from private businesses.
Lloyd
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

Shi Zi Mi wrote:I'll say it again..........nothing but lip service.

As long as player salaries are low and the league does not have the resources to ferret out side deals.........enforcing an SMS is impossible.

Chump change side deals (<$50K) would be near impossible to find......especially when the team owner owns 114 companies.

If Rob Murphy does not sign in the NFL, look for him to sign a new $100K contract with the Lions.........and his wife gets a $50K daycare co-ordinator position (non-existent daycare) at one of Braley's other businesses........how the hell is the league going to find that?
You're right SZM, this has been going on since the "marquee player" days of Doug Flutie and the Stampedes...

The whole thing is a staged act to con the rest of the league into thinking there's a level playing field.
So long as teams and players have lucrative personal, promotional contracts available things will remain the same.

If all the teams are doing it then nobody?s nose is out of joint, but if it is a true salary cap then cut the crap,
"like the ceiling is where the floor of the real ceiling begins."
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis