Hours to FA

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Shi Zi Mi wrote:Agreed.......it's dangerous territory.

My guess with Allan.........when the Stamps went to register the contract, the league office rubber stamped "Approved" across it without reading the fineprint..........doubt that will happen again.

The practise of the AFL and the CFL having the same player under contract at the same time is also a slippery slope that the league needs to get fixed ASAP.
In Allen's case I doubt there was any fineprint. I think it was a simple gentlemen's handshake agreement.
But if it wasn't in the contract........how do you explain Allan clearing waivers without any other team claiming him........the guy played one weekend for the Stamps, then the following weekend for the Rams.

If he's NFL calibre, it doesn't make sense that another CFL GM wouldn't have tried to get him.......particularly if he has an option year in his contract.
Lloyd
Rammer
Team Captain

Shi Zi Mi wrote:
Hambone wrote:
Shi Zi Mi wrote:Agreed.......it's dangerous territory.

My guess with Allan.........when the Stamps went to register the contract, the league office rubber stamped "Approved" across it without reading the fineprint..........doubt that will happen again.

The practise of the AFL and the CFL having the same player under contract at the same time is also a slippery slope that the league needs to get fixed ASAP.
In Allen's case I doubt there was any fineprint. I think it was a simple gentlemen's handshake agreement.
But if it wasn't in the contract........how do you explain Allan clearing waivers without any other team claiming him........the guy played one weekend for the Stamps, then the following weekend for the Rams.

If he's NFL calibre, it doesn't make sense that another CFL GM wouldn't have tried to get him.......particularly if he has an option year in his contract.
The article stated that it was Barkers verbal agreement with Allen that allowed him to return to the NFL if a team came calling. I would also suggest that a team is not allowed to pursue a player after a certain point in the season (trade deadline for instance), that is cut.

And just to clarify that Murphy is in his Lions option year window, here is the clarification from Mike Beamish in todays paper....
A seven-year NFL veteran, Murphy has only six more days to get his due, however, before his NFL option closes. On Feb. 16, his sole negotiating elective will consist of one team -- the Lions. B.C. will continue to maintain Murphy's CFL and professional rights thereafter, though he could simply choose to retire.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
Shi Zi Mi wrote:
Hambone wrote:

The article stated that it was Barkers verbal agreement with Allen that allowed him to return to the NFL if a team came calling. I would also suggest that a team is not allowed to pursue a player after a certain point in the season (trade deadline for instance), that is cut.

And just to clarify that Murphy is in his Lions option year window, here is the clarification from Mike Beamish in todays paper....
A seven-year NFL veteran, Murphy has only six more days to get his due, however, before his NFL option closes. On Feb. 16, his sole negotiating elective will consist of one team -- the Lions. B.C. will continue to maintain Murphy's CFL and professional rights thereafter, though he could simply choose to retire.
In both cases you are believing media hacks......I'll wait to see how things turn out with RM before believing it......remember, it was a media hack that originally stated that RM had signed just a 1 year deal.

As for Allan.......my question of why wasn't he claimed off waivers still applies........as I believe you are incorrect about signing FA's/claiming players off waivers.........again, it's a trade deadline, not a player acquisition deadline.
Lloyd
Rammer
Team Captain

Shi Zi Mi wrote:
Rammer wrote:
Shi Zi Mi wrote:

In both cases you are believing media hacks......I'll wait to see how things turn out with RM before believing it......remember, it was a media hack that originally stated that RM had signed just a 1 year deal.

As for Allan.......my question of why wasn't he claimed off waivers still applies........as I believe you are incorrect about signing FA's/claiming players off waivers.........again, it's a trade deadline, not a player acquisition deadline.
Well it will be a question that I will raise to Wally if I get the chance and hopefully I get the direct response and not the long winded political response with an unclear answer. :lol:
Entertainment value = an all time low
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
Shi Zi Mi wrote:
Rammer wrote:

Well it will be a question that I will raise to Wally if I get the chance and hopefully I get the direct response and not the long winded political response with an unclear answer. :lol:
Hey.....you're talking about the standard MO of the CFL.......don't hold your breath waiting for that.

Actually, that's why I feel sorry for those same media hacks......CFL types feed them very little info that would be construed as "fact"......leaving said hack to be "creative" in order to fill that article/report.
Lloyd
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:We are now on the countdown to FA in the CFL, which also finalizes the NFL option year signing period. Where am I goign with this? Well since our FA's are all but gone, with a very slight chance of McKay-Loescher re-signing, and CK, RT and CP all gone, I can focus upon the big guys chances south of the border. T - 10 days and counting for Rob Murphy to find employment in the NFL or hopefully be back in a Lions uniform. If he does return, that may be the biggest signing for us during the off season, as he is looking for a new deal when he does return.

Go Lions Go!
God Rammer!

Do we dare to hope?

Will he have lift off, or will he decide '"this bird is more comfortable with being the highest paid monster backside tackles in the CFL", and make another run at the GC? :cr:

I know, I'm just a hopeless optimist. :sigh:

!Go Lions Go!
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis