Tony Simmons/ Kendrick Jones

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

SammyGreene
Team Captain

Some encouraging news on the Simmons' front in Mike Beamish's story today:
Buono said he'll meet with Simmons later this week to determine where their relationship is headed. Simmons is rehabbing from his second season-ending knee surgery in two seasons. It's hard to know if the workout workhorse should be counted on or counted out. Simmons has an incredibly high work ethic, pain threshold and top-end burst. Problem is, he could be another torn ACL waiting to happen.

"We're very pleased with his progress, medically," Buono said. "Is it likely or unlikely that he'll be at training camp? I don't want to say. We'd like to get a few things resolved before we take the next big step."
:cr:
At least Wally is more on the fence about it than last week's report.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:Some encouraging news on the Simmons' front in Mike Beamish's story today:
Buono said he'll meet with Simmons later this week to determine where their relationship is headed. Simmons is rehabbing from his second season-ending knee surgery in two seasons. It's hard to know if the workout workhorse should be counted on or counted out. Simmons has an incredibly high work ethic, pain threshold and top-end burst. Problem is, he could be another torn ACL waiting to happen.

"We're very pleased with his progress, medically," Buono said. "Is it likely or unlikely that he'll be at training camp? I don't want to say. We'd like to get a few things resolved before we take the next big step."
As much as it's not stated.......I have a feeling the $$$ of his existing contract is more the issue than anything else.
Lloyd
Rammer
Team Captain

Shi Zi Mi wrote:
SammyGreene wrote:Some encouraging news on the Simmons' front in Mike Beamish's story today:

As much as it's not stated.......I have a feeling the $$$ of his existing contract is more the issue than anything else.
He falls into the Wally category of 'not getting what I paid for', no matter the $ given out. He is going to have to reduce that contract no matter what amount it is before Wally is going to sign it.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
Shi Zi Mi wrote:

He falls into the Wally category of 'not getting what I paid for', no matter the $ given out. He is going to have to reduce that contract no matter what amount it is before Wally is going to sign it.
I would suggest a performance laden contract is what Buono would have in mind.......it protects the club in case of another early injury.
Lloyd
fishman
Rookie

SammyGreene wrote: I have wondered about what Simmons is making given he his an impressive resum? but that's countered by the fact he just showed up a couple of seasons ago at the Portland tryout camp.
Simmons was an Eskimo before he was a Lion. He was at our TC 3 years ago before he had to leave for personal reasons.

The next year he signed with you guys for some reason......
ONCE AN ESKIMO, ALWAYS AN ESKIMO!
Rammer
Team Captain

fishman wrote:
SammyGreene wrote: I have wondered about what Simmons is making given he his an impressive resum? but that's countered by the fact he just showed up a couple of seasons ago at the Portland tryout camp.
Simmons was an Eskimo before he was a Lion. He was at our TC 3 years ago before he had to leave for personal reasons.

Did he make the TC, I was under the impression that he never showed up for it......
Blitz
Team Captain

I would suggest a performance laden contract is what Buono would have in mind.......it protects the club in case of another early injury
and it's a great idea! If Simmons was willing to sign that type of contract it would allow Wally to give Simmons another shot (which I desperately hope happens) while also protecting the club. Sure hope that's what happens! A healthy Simmons is the best Leos option at fifth or fourth reciever, not only because of his own play but what he opens up for other receivers.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
fishman
Rookie

Rammer wrote:
fishman wrote:

Did he make the TC, I was under the impression that he never showed up for it......
We had two guys that went AWOL early that season from TC......one we've never heard from again IIRC. AFAICR Simmons had shown for the physical and a part of the first week before requesting his leave for personal reasons. I could be mistaking him for another guy who's name escapes me that failed to report.
Rammer
Team Captain

fishman wrote:
Rammer wrote:
fishman wrote:

We had two guys that went AWOL early that season from TC......one we've never heard from again IIRC. AFAICR Simmons had shown for the physical and a part of the first week before requesting his leave for personal reasons. I could be mistaking him for another guy who's name escapes me that failed to report.
I thought it was Simmons that never made it to TC for the Esks, somehting that is strange since his time with the Lions, as he has been very cordial, at least from the fans perspective.
fishman
Rookie

Rammer wrote:
I thought it was Simmons that never made it to TC for the Esks, somehting that is strange since his time with the Lions, as he has been very cordial, at least from the fans perspective.
well one really has nothing to do with the other.

I'm sure there was something significant that came up that called him home, but it would have been nice to see him come back the next year and actually giving it a go instead of signing elsewhere instead.
Blitz
Team Captain

You better lose yourself in the pass pattern, the moment
You own it, you better never let it go
You only get one shot, do not miss your chance to show
This opportunity comes once in a lifetime yo"
yo...u 'rappin' dude smphantom!!

I don't get this Kendrick Jones thing! Yes, he has some speed and potential and made a great catch this year but right now he's not in the same league as Simmons... if Simmons can get past this second injury and I'm sure he can. The guy is a specimen and his ability to rehab from injuries so quickly proves that this guy is exceptional in terms of drive, desire to play, and work ethic.

There will be other Kendrick Jones out there but guys with Simmons talent don't come along every day!!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
David
Team Captain

With all due respect Coach, I think you're selling Kendrick a little short. I think he contributed more to the Lions last year than just "the catch." In fact, I thought he had several outstanding games in 2006 (who could forget his performance in Hamilton?). Is he in Tony's league? Not yet, but I thought he acquitted himself very nicely in his first season in the CFL.

Of course, I want Tony Simmons to come back this year (that one seems a no-brainer to me), but I sure hope we can find a way to hang onto Kendrick as well. He showed me great potential.

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
MacNews
Team Captain

Keep in mind Jones didn't attend TC, so with TC under his belt I think he'll be more comfortable in the offence. :thup:
midwestlion
Starter

Thats the amazing thing. He didnt attend camp and he beat out a few people. When he has a training camp lookout. Simmons/Jones is a GOOD problem to have though!
Blitz
Team Captain

With all due respect Coach, I think you're selling Kendrick a little short. I think he contributed more to the Lions last year than just "the catch." In fact, I thought he had several outstanding games in 2006 (who could forget his performance in Hamilton?). Is he in Tony's league? Not yet, but I thought he acquitted himself very nicely in his first season in the CFL.

Of course, I want Tony Simmons to come back this year (that one seems a no-brainer to me), but I sure hope we can find a way to hang onto Kendrick as well. He showed me great potential.
Kendrick played in 10 games, caught 21 passes for 308 yards....an average of about 2 catches per game and approximately 30 yards average receiving per game. Yes, he missed training camp, yes he has speed, and yes, he has potential.

However, watching Simmons blow past defenders like they had their feet stuck in cement and doing things that even Geroy can't do at times...can only make one be very impressed with his talent. Simmons/Jones is a GOOD problem to have but I still don't see them in the same league, talent wise, and that isn't selling Kendrick short..David...it's saying how good I believe Simmons is!

Simmons played in two games, caught eleven passes in those two games for 183 yards. He also showed how good he is after making a catch. While not a kickoff returner he also returned two kickoffs...the second one for 73 yards on the play that he got injured on. It's not even close between Simmons and Jones if Simmons could stay healthy.....and there is no reason why he can't! This thing likely comes down to money!