Tony Simmons/ Kendrick Jones

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

AC/DC Rocks
Champion

If it weren't for bad luck Tony would have no luck at all, on the injury front.
This is unbelievable, Simmons looks like the next Swervyn Mervyn, and now may not get a 2nd chance with us :bang:
Please Wally bring Tony back for another shot, he deserves it.

Wally thinks long term, and is one of the best coaches in CFL history, I just hope :cr: he does the right thing.
Bighill is Badass
Rammer
Team Captain

32 years old, this is sounding like the magical number for Wally to review the injury history on a player. I can see why Wally would consider not re-signing Simmons, but that call is the one that could come back to bite him, especially if a Western team picks him up, if he is cut loose.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

There can be no harm in bringing him to camp can there be? Simmons could be the inspirational story of the season for the Lions this upcoming year. Think about it. Talented receiver, been dogged with bad luck and perhaps having one last chance to do right. Now that Carl Kidd is gone, who is gonna be the one that everybody pulls for. Has to be Simmons. I add my voice to chorus, give him a chance Wally. Let him carry the torch for anyone who ever tried to come back. I feel he can be the one to do it.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
David
Team Captain

Funny, I was going to break this story on Tuesday but have been too busy with work. :bang: I had an email from a female colleague on her way to Minneapolis via Chicago who knows I am a huge Lions fan.

So she emails me "Who is #88 on the Lions? He's sitting next to me on my flight to Chicago" I replied, "You're sitting next to Tony Simmons?!?" and proceeded to ask her a boat load of questions.

Unfortunately, she didn't see my email on her Blackberry until after they landed but called me from Minneapolis to tell me that they talked the whole way and said he's an awesome guy. He loves playing in Vancouver and would like return but (as Ullrich wrote) wasn't sure if the Lions would sign him. He told her it was due to SMS in place and added that other receivers were in the same situation.

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Don Miller
Legend

:rockin: This guy deserves another shot. He has worked his tail off to get himself ready to play again. It was a fluke he got horse collared at Taylor Field and bent his knee back on that horrible turf. This guy is a game breaker and he showed the first game against Sask and nearly broke it all the way back on a kickoff return. I hope Wally gives him an invite to training camp in Abbotsford.
Peanut Butter Joe/Willie Show
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Simmons is a class guy and great to be around. I remember how excited he was on the first day of camp last year when he posted the fastest time in the 40. Still, I think Wally has made it clear that there's only room for two import receivers on the roster and those receivers will be Geroy Simon and Kendrick Jones.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

David wrote: So she emails me "Who is #88 on the Lions? He's sitting next to me on my flight to Chicago" I replied, "You're sitting next to Tony Simmons?!?" and proceeded to ask her a boat load of questions.

DH 8)
Was he wearing his jersey on the flight ? :lol:
SammyGreene
Team Captain

David wrote:He loves playing in Vancouver and would like return but (as Ullrich wrote) wasn't sure if the Lions would sign him. He told her it was due to SMS in place and added that other receivers were in the same situation.
DH 8)
I have wondered about what Simmons is making given he his an impressive resum? but that's countered by the fact he just showed up a couple of seasons ago at the Portland tryout camp.
Jones probably does come cheaper but I would be surprised if Simmons' salary is six figures.

He does have good chemistry with Dickenson which Wally shouldn't discount.
Rammer
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:
David wrote:He loves playing in Vancouver and would like return but (as Ullrich wrote) wasn't sure if the Lions would sign him. He told her it was due to SMS in place and added that other receivers were in the same situation.
DH 8)
I have wondered about what Simmons is making given he his an impressive resum? but that's countered by the fact he just showed up a couple of seasons ago at the Portland tryout camp.
Jones probably does come cheaper but I would be surprised if Simmons' salary is six figures.

Chemistry, understands the O and his job, can make the hit, or explode into a seam with the ball.......ahhh, is there any player with more to offer in the CFL, including Geroy.
David
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:Was he wearing his jersey on the flight ? :lol:
No, I think she mentioned that he was carrying a Lions bag or something - that's how she knew he was on the team.
SammyGreene wrote:I have wondered about what Simmons is making given he his an impressive resum? but that's countered by the fact he just showed up a couple of seasons ago at the Portland tryout camp.

Not sure what Tony is making but I was surprised to learn in Cam Cole's Super Bowl column yesterday that former LB Brendon Ayanbadejo made only $45,000 with the Lions in 2002. :shock: Despite being grateful for the platform the CFL provided him to follow his NFL dream, he said that had he not made the Bears he would have packed it in rather than come back here. I wonder if he realizes the healthy pay raise he was due on his next CFL contract? :? Hard to believe he's now 30 years old.

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:32 years old, this is sounding like the magical number for Wally to review the injury history on a player. I can see why Wally would consider not re-signing Simmons, but that call is the one that could come back to bite him, especially if a Western team picks him up, if he is cut loose.
Agreed.......Wally has made some sound/tough decisions when it comes to re-evaluating players once they get to that 32/33/34 age frame.

But what makes Simmons different from all the rest, is the fact that there has been no drop off in abilities because of his age........hopefully Wally doesn't miss that.
Lloyd
OV - 54:40
Champion

B.C.FAN wrote:Simmons is a class guy and great to be around. I remember how excited he was on the first day of camp last year when he posted the fastest time in the 40. Still, I think Wally has made it clear that there's only room for two import receivers on the roster and those receivers will be Geroy Simon and Kendrick Jones.
Did Wally state there will be room for only 2 import receivers on the roster or are you reading between the lines somewhere? I'd be quite surprised if there's only 2; Brazzell & Cutolo were regulars with Simon back in 03 & 04.
And if Wally thinks it's time to give up on Thelwell with all he's done over the past few years (and no drop-off in abilities that i could notice in the slightest), then it shouldn't be too suprising he'd give up on Simmons with his injury history; i don't get not wanting to bring either of those guys to camp for a team that features a pass reliant attack and has a good shot to go for a GC repeat - would be a different story if it was re-build time to ditch vets or either of Thelwell and/or Simmons made big CFL buck$ so getting rid of them was a "cap" necessity - can't see this being the case.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

OV - 54:40 wrote:Did Wally state there will be room for only 2 import receivers on the roster or are you reading between the lines somewhere?
I'm just reading between the lines. When Buono tells Lowell Ullrich he isn't going to take any reps away from Kendrick Jones in training camp, it suggests that his mind is made up and there's only room for one of them alongside Geroy.
OV - 54:40
Champion

So if it's Simon & Clermont as slots and Jackson & Jones as the wide-outs, then it will be just younger NI guys as the available receivers for 5 and 6 pack? - i guess Colon has some experience now and IMO has flashed good skills; and apparently Boden is highly regarded (will Brett Anderson be back for STs and as an emergency receiver too?); i dunno - i have a feeling there will be another import receiver either starting or at least on the roster somewhere; lots of time till TC yet though - new players to be signed and hopefully lots of competition in TC - where suprises / new and unhearlded guys emerging do sometimes happen.
Rammer
Team Captain

OV - 54:40 wrote:So if it's Simon & Clermont as slots and Jackson & Jones as the wide-outs, then it will be just younger NI guys as the available receivers for 5 and 6 pack? - i guess Colon has some experience now and IMO has flashed good skills; and apparently Boden is highly regarded (will Brett Anderson be back for STs and as an emergency receiver too?); i dunno - i have a feeling there will be another import receiver either starting or at least on the roster somewhere; lots of time till TC yet though - new players to be signed and hopefully lots of competition in TC - where suprises / new and unhearlded guys emerging do sometimes happen.
If it is another import that far down the list of receivers, it won't be Simmons, as it will have to be a long term project.