Tony Simmons/ Kendrick Jones

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

midwestlion
Starter

Interesting direction for Simmons/Jones situation.

http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?module=news ... &nid=14899
Rammer
Team Captain

Simmons could have been dominant the past two seasons, but that knee problem occured early both seasons. :sigh: If healthy there is no choice between Jones and Simmons, but another injury is the large hangup. I know one thing, that it would be difficult to see Simmons in an opposition uniform, and healthy, as the success will follow that. Jones may be fast, but you can't teach height and size that Simmons has. Tough decision for Wally, but I wouldn't let Simmons go, 4.2 speed and his size can beat you easily.
Entertainment value = an all time low
MacNews
Team Captain

You can't lose Simmons, every game he plays is a 100-yard game.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

I would love to see Simmons brought back as the 5th receiver option ? the same way Myers was used 2 years ago.
However, the Lions' decision to go with two imports on the o-line last season changed that option.

Wally also likes to use his extra import spots on defence with Phillips, Johnson and Knowlton getting those roles last season.

It really is a tough call because Simmons can be invited to camp, look great and earn back his starting spot only to get hurt again. Wally made it clear in the story that won't happen because he doesn't want to take reps away from Jones and impede his progress.

Wally is going to have to get creative with his roster for Simmons to return. Hopefully he can find away to do it and have another weapon at our disposal.
Rammer
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:I would love to see Simmons brought back as the 5th receiver option ? the same way Myers was used 2 years ago.
However, the Lions' decision to go with two imports on the o-line last season changed that option.

Wally also likes to use his extra import spots on defence with Phillips, Johnson and Knowlton getting those roles last season.

It really is a tough call because Simmons can be invited to camp, look great and earn back his starting spot only to get hurt again. Wally made it clear in the story that won't happen because he doesn't want to take reps away from Jones and impede his progress.

Wally is going to have to get creative with his roster for Simmons to return. Hopefully he can find away to do it and have another weapon at our disposal.
Yep, Jones has earned some respect from Wally making the Simmons call difficult, but I still cannot fathom the concept of having Simmons in another uniform.
Tighthead
Legend

I expect that I am in the minority, but I would choose the safe option and go with Jones. As much as I like Simmons, the team did with the cup without him.
midwestlion
Starter

what are the measurable. I dont think the speed is the big difference. What about height and weight?
Rammer
Team Captain

midwestlion wrote:what are the measurable. I dont think the speed is the big difference. What about height and weight?
Simmons 6'1" 212 lbs
Jones 6'2" 190 lbs

Strange, Jones is taller than Simmons on the Lions site, but I guess you knew that....;) He sure doesn't look that in comparison. ???

Simmons has a wide wingspan as well, runs hard as well as fast, just amazing to watch when he gains space. You just drop your jaw when he turned the corner on the Riders in one game, even on the return that he re-injured his knee on in Regina, he is leaving very good athletes in the dust.
midwestlion
Starter

Hopefully Jones can bulk up but he has big play potential too. Hopefully hell get it his fair shots. Buono sounds like he is ready to do just that.
Strange, Jones is taller than Simmons on the Lions site, but I guess you knew that.... He sure doesn't look that in comparison. ???
Would have been a good battle in camp though. :yes:
Blitz
Team Captain

Simmons has a wide wingspan as well, runs hard as well as fast, just amazing to watch when he gains space. You just drop your jaw when he turned the corner on the Riders in one game, even on the return that he re-injured his knee on in Regina, he is leaving very good athletes in the dust.
The Leos would be crazy to drop Simmons! Yes, he's had the two serious injuries but the guy is an exceptional receiver who has worked very hard to recover from his two injuries. I hope the Leos bring Simmons to camp and let him compete with Jones for the position. If Simmons was injured a third time then I would understand the Leos letting him go but Simmons could also return and never get injured again. He adds such a dimension to the offence and really opens things up for Geroy!

The Leos are willing to gamble big dollars for a quarterback like Dickenson who has been injured a lot because they know how good he can play when he's healthy. Simmons is no ordinary receiver...he's big, strong, explosive, and has great speed. He also brings experience and knowledge of the game. I really believe the Leos should give him one more opportunity because more could be gained than lost with giving Simmons that one last chance!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:
The Leos would be crazy to drop Simmons! Yes, he's had the two serious injuries but the guy is an exceptional receiver who has worked very hard to recover from his two injuries. I hope the Leos bring Simmons to camp and let him compete with Jones for the position. If Simmons was injured a third time then I would understand the Leos letting him go but Simmons could also return and never get injured again. He adds such a dimension to the offence and really opens things up for Geroy!

The Leos are willing to gamble big dollars for a quarterback like Dickenson who has been injured a lot because they know how good he can play when he's healthy. Simmons is no ordinary receiver...he's big, strong, explosive, and has great speed. He also brings experience and knowledge of the game. I really believe the Leos should give him one more opportunity because more could be gained than lost with giving Simmons that one last chance!
:whs:

Abso-friggin-lutely !!!!!!

You can't teach speed and size..........a very rare combination and something that Simmons has in spades.

Wally, Wally, Wally.....you have a rare commodity.......don't screw it up !!
Lloyd
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Sweet Heyzeus Wally!!! Get Simmons back here and hurry up and sign Clermont before the drool from Regina reaches us here!!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Tough decision for Buono for sure. Haven't seen enough of Jones to be convinced he's the answer to be our deep threat. Simmons have proven that he can get the job done.
squishy35
Legend

Yes, he's had the two serious injuries but the guy is an exceptional receiver who has worked very hard to recover from his two injuries

Bang on Blitz. Just being around this guy (Simmons) must give team mates a lot of confidence in the talent that surrounds them. I can't wait to see Simmons play next season.
smphantom
Legend

squishy35 wrote: I can't wait to see Simmons play next season.
Me too, but only in Lions colours!

I think Wally should give him one more shot and tell him:

"You better lose yourself in the pass pattern, the moment
You own it, you better never let it go
You only get one shot, do not miss your chance to show
This opportunity comes once in a lifetime yo"

-Eminem (with a couple changes)
Stay thirsty my friends.