Super Bowl XLI

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Who will you be cheering for in the Super Bowl?

Chicago Bears
17%
Indianapolis Colts
59%
I don't know
No votes
I don't care
24%

Total votes: 29
Robbie
Hall of Famer

The friendly wager between the two mayors is on and has now consisted of several things. The state governors have also made a wager.

Indianapolis Mayor Bart Peterson saw Chicago Mayor Richard Daley's smorgasbord Super Bowl wager on Thursday and raised him one Neil Sedaka. The betting between Indiana and Illinois heated up when Peterson bet a gift package that includes spreads from 13 restaurants and tickets to a performance by rock and pop artist Sedaka with the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra. Peterson also wagered tickets to all three Indianapolis Motor Speedway races and the Big Ten basketball championship at Conseco Fieldhouse on Sunday's game. Daley on Wednesday unveiled a bevy of delicacies, including pizza, beer and a whole pig. Indianapolis also is in line to receive other goodies like a Weber grill and an electric guitar signed by blues legend Buddy Guy if the Colts should beat the Bears in Sunday's Super Bowl. The governors of both states also laid down some action this week by betting assorted foodstuffs on the game's outcome. If the Bears win, Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels will fork over Indiana.m.ade foods including candy, pretzels, salsa, pickles and popcorn. If the Colts win, Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich will pay with deep-dish pizza, cheesecake and kosher nuts and candy.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Working hard to score their first touchdown, the Colts miss on what should be a routine convert attempt. Will that missed point come back to haunt the Colts later on in the game?
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

I don't think it will matter, because by the looks of it, the Colts aren't ready for this. Very disappointing effort so far! :no:
Real women wear orange!!
Robbie
Hall of Famer

At halftime:

Colts 16
Bears 14

It looks like mother nature really has an affect on this game as both teams have committed three turnovers each, and has caused the usually invincible Adam Vinatieri to miss a convert and a short field goal attempt to close out the first half.

Super Bowl venues are usually selected in indoor stadiums or in southern cities to avoid mother nature mishaps such as today in Miami. They would have been better off holding the Super Bowl in dry Seattle's Qwest Field today.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

22-17 Colts after three. It looks like it will go down to the wire. After three, the Colts have dominated in time of possession and first downs.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Congratulations to the Indianapolis Colts in their 29-17 Super Bowl championship. Peyton Manning has finally won the elusive Super Bowl.
lion24
Legend

you mean the "world champions" of the world of pro football of america??
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
Rammer
Team Captain

lion24 wrote:you mean the "world champions" of the world of pro football of america??
Yes that is the team that they are referring to....lol
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Matter of time before the real Grossman showed up. :wink:
Robbie
Hall of Famer

It was good to see that despite the heavy rain, the organizers decided to hold the presentation of the Vince Lombardi trophy right in the middle of the field. While it was gentlemanly of Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay to acknowledge the recent natural disaster in the state of Florida and offer to help, it was indeed very arrogant of him to identify the Colts as world champions. It was also disappointing to see that he didn't acknowledge the efforts of the Chicago Bears when he accepted the trophy.

And among the many reasons that led to the Colts winning, perhaps one reason is because they had sideline support in the form of their cheerleaders. I mentioned earlier that the Bears do not have cheerleaders. And unlike the Felions and the Alouettes Cheerleaders who wore winter clothing during the Grey Cup, the Colts cheerleaders did not wear any winter clothing as they just wore their regular uniforms despite the terrible weather and they braved the heavy rain throughout the whole game.

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Come on Robbie, do you really think for one moment that the cheerleaders had anything to do with the Colts win ?
Robbie
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Come on Robbie, do you really think for one moment that the cheerleaders had anything to do with the Colts win ?
Come on, can't you take a sly comment or joke, LionKing? :wink: That's why I said....among the many reasons.... :lol:

I would take cheerleader presence over no cheerleader presence anytime. I heard one reason that the Chicago Bears do not have cheerleaders is because their owner, Virginia Halas McCaskey, thinks they are a sexist idea. I suppose that is something one might expect from a woman owner.
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

Robbie wrote: I heard one reason that the Chicago Bears do not have cheerleaders is because their owner, Virginia Halas McCaskey, thinks they are a sexist idea
What??? No link to that quote? :lol:
Robbie wrote:I suppose that is something one might expect from a woman owner.
Your last line won't make too many female friends.....I'm guessing you're a single guy.....or will be after that one :wink:

Too bad for the Bears......Rex Grossman passes make John Hufnagel look like John Elway.....I've seen balloons with more zip on them.

Congrats to the Colts.
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Well, both lines are what I saw on various web sites.

The last time the Bears had cheerleaders, the Honey Bears, were in 1985.

Taken from:
http://www.bearshistory.com/sidelines/c ... bears.aspx

George Halas himself decided that he wanted his team to have cheerleaders, or "dancing girls" as he called them in his own words. Halas put General Manager Jim Finks in charge of making just that happen, sometime in 1976.
Core had recently moved to the Chicago area from New Jersey, and had actually never driven into the city as of this time. Core's cheerleading experience at that time consisted of having taught Junior High girls. Someone in Core's church, however, knew Finks, and recommended Core to him as a person that may possibly assemble a new cheerleading unit. When Finks first called Core and identified himself as General Manager of the Bears, Core thought it was a friend playing a joke on her, and she eventually hung up. Finks then had the mutual acquaintence call Core and validate his story, and when Finks called back, Core sheepishly apologized. Before she knew it, she was meeting with Halas in the Bears' downtown offices, talking about the group that would be known as the Honey Bears.

Before Core left the office that day, Halas told her "as long as I'm alive, we will have dancing girls on the sidelines."

Core began traveling to places such as Dallas and Denver to interview those clubs about the process of putting together a cheerleading unit, then interviewed hundreds of women before narrowing down the applicants to the first group of 20.

The Honey Bears danced on the sidelines, as well as made appearances around the city, from 1977 to 1985. Halas made good on his word that the cheerleaders would always be a part of the team as long as he was alive. He passed in October of 1983. The following season the team attempted to end the relationship, but had a binding contract with the group through the end of the '85 season. Following their appearance at the Super Bowl in New Orleans, the group became a memory. Word has it that as long as the McCaskey family owns the team, that's where the Honey Bears will remain, a memory.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

[The Bears] had a binding contract with the [Honey Bears cheerleaders] through the end of the '85 season. Following their appearance at the Super Bowl in New Orleans, the group became a memory.
Wow, it's almost like a curse, eh? No cheerleaders = no Super Bowl.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.