Favourite Lion Poll #1: Most Outstanding Player

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Who is your favourite BC Lion who won CFL Most Outstanding Player?

Geroy Simon - 2006
30%
Casey Printers - 2004
7%
Doug Flutie - 1991
4%
David Williams - 1988
No votes
Mervyn Fernandez - 1985
59%

Total votes: 27
Robbie
Hall of Famer

In the recent poll that David created about the most popular Lion of all time, it seems like many of us are having difficulty naming just one player. So what I've decided to do is narrow down the scope and poll about Lion players that fall in a more specific category. I feel that one way to do this is to compare the players who have won specific individual awards. I will create a total of five polls that compare the Lions that have won awards in the five main CFL individual award categories. Since no Lion has won Most Outstanding Special Teams player and because that is a relatively new award, I will not create a poll for that category.

This first poll will deal with Lions that have won the CFL's top individual award. Five Lions have won the CFL Most Outstanding Player. Who is your favourite and why?

For me, this is indeed difficult but I will select Geroy Simon based on the fact that I met him personally and that he was with the Lions during a year that the team won the Grey Cup and he had a direct impact in the championship game. I know Mervyn Fernandez was also part of the 1985 squad, but he was injured and didn't play in the Grey Cup game. I will choose Fernandez as a close second though, especially considering the fact that he was the first Lion to ever win this top award. And I am also certain that David Williams will receive the least amount of votes and that he will be the least favourite of the five players. For some reason, nobody seems to like him. :?
Rammer
Team Captain

I took Merv, as he was miles ahead of his time as a receiver. DF And CP weren't Lions long enough to be in my real Lion heart area. Williams also falls into that category, and then I have to skip Geroy.......just because he has more to offer, stay tuned.

Tough poll choices though, this one will be interesting to see the final results.
Entertainment value = an all time low
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I would love to pick DF but I just dont really think of him as a lion :sigh:

I went with MF even though memory of him is tainted by his last stay here, on and off the field.

No receiver in either league has been as exciting to watch as he was in his prime. Poetry in motion, usually describes a RB, but its what he was to me.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Another vote for Swervin Mervin
notahomer
Hall of Famer

The Swerve as he was big just as I was becoming a Lions fan. Simon is sure a blast to watch now but my memories made me vote Merv.
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

DF doesn't strike me as a Lion great, Merv gets my vote.
"I hope he enjoys Stornoway and I hope he's happy there for a long time"

-Prime Minister Harper on new Liberal Leader St?phane Dion
Lion_Pride_26
Legend

I'm stuck between Merv and Geroy, I'll give the nod to Merv. :)
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:I took Merv, as he was miles ahead of his time as a receiver. DF And CP weren't Lions long enough to be in my real Lion heart area. Williams also falls into that category, and then I have to skip Geroy.......just because he has more to offer, stay tuned.
Those are good points as it seems like no CFL MOP stays with the Lions too long after winning the award. Fernandez served with the Lions well for five years from 1982 to 1986 with a brief return in 1994. But notwithstanding Simon who remains to be seen, all four players left in less than two years after winning the award:

Mervyn Fernandez - Won 1985. Went to LA Raiders in 1987.

David Williams - Won in 1988. Lost as a free agent to Toronto in 1990 where he helped the Argos win the 1991 Grey Cup along two other ex-Lions Dunigan and Foggie. Does anybody remember why the Lions didn't decide to offer him another contract in 1990?

Doug Flutie - Won in 1991. Soon lost to Calgary as a free agent in 1992 where he immediate won the Grey Cup with them.

Casey Printers - Won in 2004. Went to Kansas City Chiefs in 2006.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

David Williams - Won in 1988. Lost as a free agent to Toronto in 1990 where he helped the Argos win the 1991 Grey Cup along two other ex-Lions Dunigan and Foggie. Does anybody remember why the Lions didn't decide to offer him another contract in 1990?
could it be they were already talking to DF??
Robbie
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:
could it be they were already talking to DF??
Perhaps, but I don't know how much money Doug Flutie was being offered in his two year contract. Or perhaps the Lions felt that they would take their chances on another incoming tall receiver - Ray Alexander.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

As much as I like dunigan, flutie was worth a lot more.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:As much as I like dunigan, flutie was worth a lot more.
Oh, were you referring to Matt Dunigan or David Williams? When I said "offered another contract", I was referring to offering one to David Williams. With Matt Dunigan, he still had one year left on his three year contract that he signed in 1988, but was traded away to Toronto in early 1990.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:As much as I like dunigan, flutie was worth a lot more.
Oh, were you referring to Matt Dunigan or David Williams? When I said "offered another contract", I was referring to offering one to David Williams. With Matt Dunigan, he still had one year left on his three year contract that he signed in 1988, but was traded away to Toronto in early 1990.
oops. My mistake. Some how I read it as you referring to Dunigan. :bang: :bang: :oops:
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:Fernandez served with the Lions well for five years from 1982 to 1986 with a brief return in 1994.
I have a question regarding this point. Does anybody know exactly how many games Mervyn Fernandez played for the Lions when he returned to the team in 1994, and what exactly was his status with the team come the Grey Cup game? I know for sure that he didn't play in the playoffs or in the GC game. So did he actually "win" a second Grey Cup in 1994? He was injured for the playoffs in 1985 as well, but was still part of the team that won the GC. What about 1994?

Exactly what must the status of a player be in order to "win" a Grey Cup by having his named etched on the trophy and receive a ring?
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:
Robbie wrote:Fernandez served with the Lions well for five years from 1982 to 1986 with a brief return in 1994.
I have a question regarding this point. Does anybody know exactly how many games Mervyn Fernandez played for the Lions when he returned to the team in 1994, and what exactly was his status with the team come the Grey Cup game? I know for sure that he didn't play in the playoffs or in the GC game. So did he actually "win" a second Grey Cup in 1994? He was injured for the playoffs in 1985 as well, but was still part of the team that won the GC. What about 1994?
Exactly what must the status of a player be in order to "win" a Grey Cup by having his named etched on the trophy and receive a ring?
He was released well before the end of the regular season as I recall, so I doubt he was recognised with a ring or anything like that. According to the 1995 edition of Facts, Figures and Records, he played in only 9 games, catching 25 passes for 282 yds (long 35) and 2 tds.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.