Favourite Lion Poll #1: Most Outstanding Player

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Who is your favourite BC Lion who won CFL Most Outstanding Player?

Geroy Simon - 2006
30%
Casey Printers - 2004
7%
Doug Flutie - 1991
4%
David Williams - 1988
No votes
Mervyn Fernandez - 1985
59%

Total votes: 27
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I for one would like to forget about and pretend that fernandez in 94 never happened. That was somebody else, sigh :sigh:
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Robbie
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
Robbie wrote:
Robbie wrote:Fernandez served with the Lions well for five years from 1982 to 1986 with a brief return in 1994.
I have a question regarding this point. Does anybody know exactly how many games Mervyn Fernandez played for the Lions when he returned to the team in 1994, and what exactly was his status with the team come the Grey Cup game? I know for sure that he didn't play in the playoffs or in the GC game. So did he actually "win" a second Grey Cup in 1994? He was injured for the playoffs in 1985 as well, but was still part of the team that won the GC. What about 1994?
Exactly what must the status of a player be in order to "win" a Grey Cup by having his named etched on the trophy and receive a ring?
He was released well before the end of the regular season as I recall, so I doubt he was recognised with a ring or anything like that. According to the 1995 edition of Facts, Figures and Records, he played in only 9 games, catching 25 passes for 282 yds (long 35) and 2 tds.
Okay, thanks for the clarification, sj-roc. So it appears that Fernandez did not win a Grey Cup during his brief second stint with the team in 1994, just like how Antonio Warren didn't win the cup in 2006 despite starting the season with the Lions.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Since nobody seems to be voting on these polls anymore, I'll just wrap up the results for each of them.

On this poll, it looks very obvious that Fernandez is the most popular MOP. Perhaps it has to do with the fact that he was the first to win it and also stayed with the Lions for the longest. Simon is second because he has the second longest tenure. I suppose Flutie came second to last because he only played two years with the team. And just as I predicted, David Williams came in last with no votes. For some reason, Williams just isn't very popular at all with Lions fans.
nelson95
Legend

Williams really only had one good year and had a deplorable attitude.
Flutie only had one good year but it was a great year but still couldn't get it done against the TiCats :bang: It was an unbelievable year however.
Give the ball to LeeRoy!