Who is the most popular Lion of all-time?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

My Vote For Most Popular Lion Of All-Time Is....

Joe Kapp
No votes
Willie Fleming
4%
Leroy Sledge
No votes
Jim Young
13%
Lui Passaglia
60%
"Swervin" Mervyn Fernandez
13%
Doug Flutie
No votes
Jason Clermont
2%
Carl Kidd
7%

Total votes: 45
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

TheZeppo wrote:
Lions_Fan_4_Life wrote:Lui has been known as a personal jerk in the past,
:? Known as a jerk by who? I hope you have some evidence
to back your statement up!
by fans. some people say you have to pay him to get him to sign an autograph for you. just my opinion.

not saying that's why i wouldn't vote for him, just not a fan of the kicker, call me um...chris schultz jr. :wink:

:roll:
"I hope he enjoys Stornoway and I hope he's happy there for a long time"

-Prime Minister Harper on new Liberal Leader St?phane Dion
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Lions_Fan_4_Life wrote:
TheZeppo wrote:
by fans. some people say you have to pay him to get him to sign an autograph for you. just my opinion.

not saying that's why i wouldn't vote for him, just not a fan of the kicker, call me um...chris schultz jr. :wink:

I've seen moments when Lui was very sociable and others where he was less sociable. He was very sociable when I met him at an IGA autograph signing session in May 2005. But when I met him at the Lions 50 year dream team autograph signing in October 2003, he along with Jim Mills seemed less than sociable as they weren't really interested in chatting with the fans. I mentioned on other threads that at that event, Al Wilson and Norm Fieldgate were by far the two most gregarious with the fans.
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

I'm not trying to sidetrack the topic but for those interested: http://www.lionbackers.com/cheer/viewto ... highlight=
"I hope he enjoys Stornoway and I hope he's happy there for a long time"

-Prime Minister Harper on new Liberal Leader St?phane Dion
Gerry
Legend

Interesting poll, David.

My personal favourite Lion was Joe Paopao. I liked it that his start was with the Lions, that he mentored DeWalt, and that those two gave the Lions their best continuity at the QB position ever. Dickenson-Pierce may yet come to rival that, but the jury is still out on that score. In any case, Dickenson will always be remembered at least in part for his Stampeder days (although his Grey Cup win this year might change that), while Paopao will always be thought of as a Lion in my mind. Hopefully his bad record in coaching doesn't tarnish his image in most people's mind. He was a great quarterback.

A close second is Roy DeWalt. I know I'm picking QBs here, but in this league it's hard not to. They spell success or failure for your team to a degree that no other position can match.

Flutie is certainly the best QB ever to play for the Lions, but he wasn't here long enough to be my favourite Lion ever. His best days were as an Argo and a Stampeder, even though he was a Lion first.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Lui is the logical choice but very likely the first two options in David's poll would lead the way as the most popular Lions ever.

Kapp and Fleming played during the pre-Canuck era when everything centred around the Lions and Empire Stadium was jam packed for every game.

Before my time... but from what I am told... they were considered gods in this town. And I don't think any Lion has achieved that kind of celebrity status since.
TheZeppo
Starter

Lions_Fan_4_Life wrote:
TheZeppo wrote:

Which fans? You, and who else? Who are the people who have had
to pay Lui for an autograph? Unless you can name them, I call
bull----.
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

In the last 2 years, I have had a few occasions to meet Lui. Once at GC 05, once at Fanfest 05 when he was standing by himself in the autograph tent, once at Football 101, and once at Football 202. Never once during any of those interactions, has he been anything but fan friendly and accommodating. Hell, when I got to Football 101 an hour early, he let me watch TV in the player's lounge! :rockin:. So yeah, you can tell where my vote went. :thup:
Real women wear orange!!
LFITQ
Team Captain

TheZeppo wrote:
Lions_Fan_4_Life wrote:
TheZeppo wrote:

Which fans? You, and who else? Who are the people who have had
to pay Lui for an autograph? Unless you can name them, I call
bull----.
Sorry LF4L - but I think you are getting some bad info. A post that says, my friend's friend told me that he knew a guy that might have had to pay for an autograph is NOT credible.

I have had the honour of meeting Lui on SEVERAL occassions and he has always been more than gracious about signing autographs and talking to the fans. He's even signed more than one item for me at a time when he wasn't too busy with others. At training camps, if he is there, he is usually one of the LAST to leave.

But lets also not forget that he has a job to do with the team. And that job may mean that he DOES get called out to other areas and maybe busy from time to time. The fact that he might put an end to an autograph session might be because he has another session he has to get to at a certain time - so as not to dissappoint the fans there.

Sorry but personal experience of myself, my family and my friends and amongst the many stories of goodwill mentioned on this board alone; I would take any"negative" post regarding Lui with a HUGE grain of salt and my first instinct is to wonder about the poster.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Lions_Fan_4_Life wrote:
TheZeppo wrote:

I've had the pleasure of not only meeting Lui several times, but actually working with him on some promotional spots I did back at U.TV. My encounters with Lui have never been anything less than friendly, accomodating, and gracious.

Slagging Lui on this board is about as close as you can get to blasphemy in my opinion. Please LF4L unless you have had a personal experience to support your statements, show Lui the respect he has earned.

As for the poll, when I was a kid my two idols were Ken Dryden and Jim Young. My two cherished childhood possessions were my #29 Canadians sweater, and a #30 Lions shirt. Recently I saw a picture of me at about age 6, in my #30 Lions shirt, and I realize now that it was not even authentic CFL. In fact the shirt doesn't even say BC Lions, or CFL on it! It says "Vancouver" and has a a big helmet with #30 on it. But that's how popular Jim Young was. To think someone would actually produce knock-off shirts for a CFL player!

I got to see Dryden play live once. I saw Young live many times. Of the two athletes Young enjoyed the edge in my mind because he was a hometown hero. In my earliest memories of Lions games I can remember 3 things very clearly... Nalley's salt and vinegar chips, rain, and watching "Dirty Thirty".

I voted for Lui.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Good one Belize, very good indeed :yes: :rockin:
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Lui Passaglia is the clear winner.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:Lui Passaglia is the clear winner.
You could almost say he ran away with the vote, but he's not really about the running game...

<ducking>
Rammer
Team Captain

Soundy wrote:
Robbie wrote:Lui Passaglia is the clear winner.
You could almost say he ran away with the vote, but he's not really about the running game...

<ducking>
He did get a rushing TD, and that was at the end of his career, imagine if he had been used more often as an RB earlier..... 8) :lol:
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Yeah, it was very questionable whether he actually scored. Perhaps the referee was in a very benevolent mood and gave it to Lui. :roll:
Rammer
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:Yeah, it was very questionable whether he actually scored. Perhaps the referee was in a very benevolent mood and gave it to Lui. :roll:
Oh that line didn't help Lui much, but his extra effort and cagey veteran knowledge allwoed that Lui to find that bend in the goal line. 8) :lol:

All I know with a TD like that he should have been used on every first and goal situtaion in his career, it would have only been a matter of holding onto the ball. :s:
Entertainment value = an all time low