Who is the most popular Lion of all-time?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

My Vote For Most Popular Lion Of All-Time Is....

Joe Kapp
No votes
Willie Fleming
4%
Leroy Sledge
No votes
Jim Young
13%
Lui Passaglia
60%
"Swervin" Mervyn Fernandez
13%
Doug Flutie
No votes
Jason Clermont
2%
Carl Kidd
7%

Total votes: 45
David
Team Captain

Nine strong choices here but many more that deserve consideration. Some of you younger fans may not remember RB Leroy Sledge 1967-69 (a little before my time too), but as a fan of Lions history I do know that he was very popular here.

The only active Lion from this list if Carl Kidd has played his last game as Lion is Jason Clermont. Remember, I am not asking you who your favourite player is here - just who you think was the biggest fan favourite in this province?

Since there have been so many fan favourites to wear black and orange over the years, feel free to submit a write-in vote.

DH 8)
Last edited by David on Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The popular chant when Leroy was playing was "Give it to Leroy" and the Lions did with his inconsistent play. The most popular player of all times would have to be Passaglia.
Arny
Champion

I voted for Lui, but I would think Merv would have a lot of support as well.

Tough choice.
David
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:The popular chant when Leroy was playing was "Give it to Leroy" and the Lions did with his inconsistent play. The most popular player of all times would have to be Passaglia.
Yes, I heard of the "Give The Ball To Leroy" chant. :thup:

Of course in those days, the most popular player was whoever was backing up Paul Brothers. :lol:

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Leroy was a drop out from college. I believe he was only 20 or 21 when he played his first game as a Lion. As to Paul Brothers, he was painful to watch. Threw too many interceptions. I'm surprised he lasted 3 seasons.
Rammer
Team Captain

Lui's longevity and success over that time period has to give him the win hands down. It would be a much closer poll if Lui was given the honourary fan favourite spot, and find out who else was left standing. Much sadness within me for JHW not making the list though.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Jim Young was tremendously popular with his "take no prisoners" smash mouth style. He epitomized the BC Lions of the early to mid 70s.

Lui was a great contributor, but "Dirty Thirty" was out there on every offensive down, playing with only one shoulder working. He was adored by many.
David
Team Captain

Rammer wrote:Lui's longevity and success over that time period has to give him the win hands down. It would be a much closer poll if Lui was given the honourary fan favourite spot, and find out who else was left standing. Much sadness within me for JHW not making the list though.
John Henry White is certainly a worthy choice Phil - together with Larry Key they formed one of the best tandems we've ever seen, and I like the fact that he put down roots in the community after he retired, but where do I draw the line? Of the hundreds of players to wear a Lions uniform there are bound to be more candidates than just the 9 players listed.

In fact, Casey Printers was one of my favourite Lions of all-time; he was definitely one of the most exciting. But I'm not sure playing in parts of just 3 volatile seasons qualifies him.

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Bosco
Team Captain

Solar Max wrote:Jim Young was tremendously popular with his "take no prisoners" smash mouth style. He epitomized the BC Lions of the early to mid 70s.

Lui was a great contributor, but "Dirty Thirty" was out there on every offensive down, playing with only one shoulder working. He was adored by many.
Jim Young used to be a neighbour of mine in Coquitlam. He's the most unassuming man you would ever want to meet - hard to believe that this is the same Dirty 30 who devoted a chapter of his book on how to administer the purrfect clothesline. :yes:
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

While my favorite player of either league list starts with Doug Flutie and includes the likes of Fernandez, B. sanders, Bo Jackson,etc, there is no doubt in my mind that LUI is and always will be the most popular LION as long as most fans alive remember him. :thup:
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Rammer
Team Captain

David wrote:
Rammer wrote:Lui's longevity and success over that time period has to give him the win hands down. It would be a much closer poll if Lui was given the honourary fan favourite spot, and find out who else was left standing. Much sadness within me for JHW not making the list though.
John Henry White is certainly a worthy choice Phil - together with Larry Key they formed one of the best tandems we've ever seen, and I like the fact that he put down roots in the community after he retired, but where do I draw the line? Of the hundreds of players to wear a Lions uniform there are bound to be more candidates than just the 9 players listed.

In fact, Casey Printers was one of my favourite Lions of all-time; he was definitely one of the most exciting. But I'm not sure playing in parts of just 3 volatile seasons qualifies him.

DH 8)
I owuld have left off Doug Flutie for his limited time, but it is all subjective. I only wanted to get JHW's name in this type of thread, as to me, just like on this poll, was overlooked by many a fan during his playing time, but was the heart and sole of that offence during his playing days. My personel opinion of course.
Entertainment value = an all time low
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:Leroy was a drop out from college. I believe he was only 20 or 21 when he played his first game as a Lion. As to Paul Brothers, he was painful to watch. Threw too many interceptions. I'm surprised he lasted 3 seasons.
I once intercepted a pass that Brothers threw off the outstretched fingertip of Leroy Sledge. It was in training camp and I was standing on the sidelines at the time, but it was still a memorable event. I always felt sorry for Brothers. He didn't have much talent around him.

As for the poll, I've always tried to pull for an unheralded Canadian, but Lui has got to be the alltime fan favourite overall.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Bosco wrote:Jim Young used to be a neighbour of mine in Coquitlam. He's the most unassuming man you would ever want to meet - hard to believe that this is the same Dirty 30 who devoted a chapter of his book on how to administer the purrfect clothesline. :yes:
Young drove Grady Cavness nuts when the latter played for Winnipeg. It was a game within a game watching those two go at it.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Couple of other honourable mentions.

Nick Hebler
James "Quick" Parker
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

David wrote:In fact, Casey Printers was one of my favourite Lions of all-time; he was definitely one of the most exciting. But I'm not sure playing in parts of just 3 volatile seasons qualifies him.
I would have left off Doug Flutie for his limited time
Same here. If I left CFL Most Outstanding Player Casey Printers off the list because of his short duration with the team, I would have also left off MOP Doug Flutie as well since he played only about 1.5 seasons with the team as he wasn't a full-time starting QB in his first season with the Lions in 1990. Along the same lines, I don't think anybody will select the second Lion league MOP, David Williams.

I will submit my own write-in vote: Norm Fieldgate