Braley wants to buy B.C. Place ......

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Tighthead
Legend

Exactly - you put a bunch of restrictions on the property, and the list of potential buyers gets very short. And if anyone thinks that those restrictions aren't worth anything, they are registered in the Land Title in favour of another party - and are very binding.
MacNews
Team Captain

CB123 wrote:Is there any proof that he actually wants to buy the stadium? Has he stated it, or are these just rumors? I know its been talked about on here before. What are the chances the gov't would sell to him?
If you look at the Sun in the past couple of days, you'll see numerous quotes with Braley's name to it.
LFITQ
Team Captain

Pattison was interested in buying the Lions years ago, but his stipulation was that he wanted the stadium with them.

At that point the Province said No and thus Pattison owning the Lions went downhill.

It makes financial sense to own the stadium as then you get all the revenue. However, with BC Place not woning any parking locations around BC Place, you don't get any revenue from that, which sometimes is a real bonus.

So by owning the stadium Braley would assume any debt, have to do the maintenance and I'm willing to bet he would have to agree to make it meet the necessary standards for the opening games.

Just because of the games in 2010, I would expect the Province to say "no" once again ...
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Tighthead
Legend

I would not want Pattison as the Lions owner - anything he buys he does with an eye for profit (which makes sense). I like Braley - more of a Sugar Daddy.
MacNews
Team Captain

Tighthead wrote:I would not want Pattison as the Lions owner - anything he buys he does with an eye for profit (which makes sense). I like Braley - more of a Sugar Daddy.
They're both businessman. They'd both make necessary changes to BC Place. Try "Fan Friendly" on crack.
Tighthead
Legend

Pattison has been on record as saying that he would only want to own a team to make money - those sort of owners are usually not great for fans. Maybe he has softened, but I will take Braley and his subsidy either way.

No doubt they would treat the stadium the same way, but their treatment of the team would likely be very different.
MacNews
Team Captain

Oh, well then I see where you're coming from. No one wants an owner to say "This isn't making enough $$, I'm gone"
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I dont think Pattison and football go together, but I still have way more respect for him than I do for Braley.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Tighthead
Legend

MacNews,

What I am trying to say (and probably not very clearly) is that I want an owner who sees the team as a toy or status symbol, not an investment. Pattison has always indicated that that is not his style, but maybe he has changed. Once you get an owner who cuts costs and is only concerned about getting a decent return on the investment, things get tough.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

OTOH, if anyone could turn the lions\clf into a profit, JP could
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I'll take Braley over Pattison.
MacNews
Team Captain

Tighthead wrote:MacNews,

What I am trying to say (and probably not very clearly) is that I want an owner who sees the team as a toy or status symbol, not an investment. Pattison has always indicated that that is not his style, but maybe he has changed. Once you get an owner who cuts costs and is only concerned about getting a decent return on the investment, things get tough.
No I got what you said, it makes sense. Pattison wants the team to make money, not for fun. I guess he's got his yacht for that.
kidder
Rookie

In a purrfect world, I'd love it if Braley could find a local , ( NOT PATTISON) that was commited to the Lion's long term, then he could buy the Ottowa franchise and give them some much needed stability.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

kidder wrote:In a purrfect world, I'd love it if Braley could find a local , ( NOT PATTISON) that was commited to the Lion's long term, then he could buy the Ottowa franchise and give them some much needed stability.
that would work :thup:

I imagine that if Braley had that plan, he would make a point of selling to someone he thought he could "control" on the BOG. That would leave Pattison out anyhow, even if he ever was interested.