So hard not to cry

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

If the damage had happened to a park in Toronto, Prime Minister Harper will be holding a press conference in person to dole out millions of taxpayers' money as federal aid. :x
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I have a great fondness for the park but like others have already mentioned, this is a part of the cycle of life in any forest. It isn't ending, it is just starting to be something new and marvelous for the next generation of visitors to enjoy. Much of the debris will provide the building blocks for all manner of life for the next 50 or more years.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Rammer
Team Captain

Sir Purrcival wrote:I have a great fondness for the park but like others have already mentioned, this is a part of the cycle of life in any forest. It isn't ending, it is just starting to be something new and marvelous for the next generation of visitors to enjoy. Much of the debris will provide the building blocks for all manner of life for the next 50 or more years.
Interesting, I wonder if the logs could be used as a memorial for this wind season that we are experiencing and show how devastating the effects were, as until now, KIA's 62 knowledge of Stanley Park losing 3000 trees was unknown to me.
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Interesting idea Rammer
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I think it would be the great basis of an interpretive walk just like Cathedral Grove in which the life cycle of trees is discussed. They should clear up those that present an ongoing danger in some form but the rest I think nature should take care of.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Mother Nature is often a cruel mistress.
It's not nice to call Mother Nature a mistress.
The same process will happen in Stanley Park --
You bet! A new Seawall should be starting to grow any day now. 8)
Last edited by Lion Guy on Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

The BC Provincial Government has promised $1 Million to help pay for the restoration of Vancouver's storm-lashed Stanley Park.

Premier Gordon Campbell said the money would come from the Local Motion program and would be conditional on the city matching the grant.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columb ... -park.html
LFITQ
Team Captain

And for the take on Stanley Park up north ...

From the Prince George Citizen...
If a tree falls in Stanley Park?

by DAVE PAULSON Citizen editor
Shed a tear, if you must, for Stanley Park.

But the loss of 3,000 trees in Vancouver's famous downtown jewel would barely register against the number of pines taken down in Prince George over the past 18 months.

Three thousands trees? Heck, the Prince George Golf and Curling Club alone has 9,000 trees waiting to be removed. Has anyone looked across Ferry Avenue at Pine Valley golf course? It looks like it's been hit by a napalm attack.

Everyone here knows local parks and greenbelts have been decimated, but if something on this scale had struck Vancouver or Toronto, the politicians would be crawling over each other offering a fix to get their face on the 6 o'clock news.

In places like Prince George, Quesnel and Kamloops, people have accepted that few outside the Interior knows or, worse, cares that millions and perhaps billions of pine trees are dead from Tweedsmuir Park to the Okanagan.

But everyone in Canada has heard of the devastation in Stanley Park, where one million trees remain standing.

As homes of Canada's major media outlets, Vancouver's and Toronto's problems usually receive attention that is vastly out of proportion to the scale of the problem.

And the reverse is true in places like Prince George.

To make matters worse, federal Natural Resources Minister Gary Lunn on Friday shot down a request from the mayors of Prince George, Kamloops and Kelowna for Ottawa to help pay for the removal of beetle-killed trees from homeowners' property.

Meanwhile, the City of Vancouver is told it's eligible to receive up to $4 million from the B.C. government to restore Stanley Park. The only string attached is a commitment that the city match the province's contribution.

If there's a similar program to replant Prince George's Rainbow Park, to use but one of many examples, nobody's mentioned it.

Out here in the boondocks, residents are accustomed to having the centres of power pay lip service paid to their problems and situations. That's why up here, people take care of it themselves. The city's annual ForesTree Fest, in which volunteers have planted seedlings in city parks for the past two springs, is a purrfect example.

And we expect it to stay that way. Unless, of course, Stanley Park is on the pine beetle's itinerary.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I wonder how the govt would react if it was Jasper or Banf having major tree problems??

and how the hell did alberta wind up with just enough of our mountains to get Jasper and Banf anyhow? How did these provincial borders get decided?

I think we should declare war on Alberta and liberate the rest or OUR mountains :thup: :rockin: :twisted: :wink: :yes:
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Rammer
Team Captain

KnowItAll wrote:I wonder how the govt would react if it was Jasper or Banf having major tree problems??

and how the hell did alberta wind up with just enough of our mountains to get Jasper and Banf anyhow? How did these provincial borders get decided?

I think we should declare war on Alberta and liberate the rest or OUR mountains :thup: :rockin: :twisted: :wink: :yes:
Being from the Kootenay area, enclosed with two ranges of mountains on either side of the town I grew up in, Alberta seems to be much more appealing given the closeness to Calgary in comparison to Vancouver. Of course having zero PST of course doesn't help, but the vote can sway depending upon the economics of either province. Growing up we were not as impressed with an Alberta license plate rolling into town, now the economy is growing due to those touring Albertans, who have purchased a ton of water front land in the area.

Also remember Jasper and Banff are on the downhill side of the mountains, much easier to access them from Alberta than BC. Besides the railway established both tourist destinations, to the point that they aren't near as enjoyable for this camper as they once were. Jasper was built to rival Banff, but ended up as a CPR hotel destination as well.
maddeep73
Champion

I think we should declare war on Alberta and liberate the rest or OUR mountains
Uh, do we really want to start a war with an oil rich neighbour? Seems to me that their deep pockets and red neck mentality might spell trouble for us left wing, granola eating, Liberal hippies.
Keepin' it real
maddeep73
Champion

1. The Stanley Park Zoo. Shame on Vancouver residents for voting to close it down in 1994. That was the only zoo in the city limits.
Must strongly disagree with this one.

The Stanley Park zoo was terribly outdated and pathetic. Concrete inclosures with no vegitation for Polar bears, seals and penguins? 10 by 10 cages for a dozen monkeys? No lions, tigers, giraffes, elephants, gorillas or hippos?

Either millions had to be spent for a huge renovation and to bring in some new 'wild' life or it had to be shut down.

When you consider reactions on this board to tax money being 'wasted' you can see why the city shut it down... no shame in it at all.
Keepin' it real
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

maddeep73 wrote:
I think we should declare war on Alberta and liberate the rest or OUR mountains
Uh, do we really want to start a war with an oil rich neighbour? Seems to me that their deep pockets and red neck mentality might spell trouble for us left wing, granola eating, Liberal hippies.
Hell yeah :rockin:

While their govt may be richer than ours, I would wager that we have a lot more richer citizens than they do. We also gots more people. And beside, we can take cover on the tops of the mountain, while they be out in the open down below. We can make them consider themselves lucky that we dont take their oil as well :yes: :twisted:
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Rammer
Team Captain

We are going to place you on the front line then KIA, let us know where they are vulnerable.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

We certainly have a better football team than the ones in Alberta. :wink: