Coach of the Year Poll

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Winning the Coach of the Year award is often the kiss of death in terms of employment longevity.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Winning the Coach of the Year award is often the kiss of death in terms of employment longevity.
For the same team, perhaps. But the winners of the Annis Stukus trophy usually won't have much problem finding employment with other teams.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Winning the Coach of the Year award is often the kiss of death in terms of employment longevity.
For the same team, perhaps. But the winners of the Annis Stukus trophy usually won't have much problem finding employment with other teams.
yeah, but in what league?

I dont see Greg Marshall popping up anywhere else in the CFL yet..or did I miss something?
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:Keep in mind that this was conducted in Winnipeg and not Nationally.....

* Who should be the CFL's coach of the year?
Doug Berry 49%
Wally Buono 38%
Pinball Clemons 9%
Other 4%
Apparently, the top three vote receivers were those that were ultimately nominated as the three candidates for coach of the year. With his great improvement from the previous season, I think Doug Berry will offer Buono a serious challenge for the award.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

The CFL web page is running its own online poll on who should be the 2006 Scotiabank CFL Coach of the Year, which runs until February 13.

Coach's bios:
http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?module=news ... &nid=14936

Poll page:
http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?module=page&id=284

At last check, Doug Berry is currently in the lead.
CB123
Legend

Im sorry, but how could Wally not win this? Look at the Lions season, and the decisions he made (yeah I know they werent all great). and doesnt the Grey Cup count for anyhing?
BC Lions - 2006 Grey Cup Champions!
USC Trojans - 2007 Rose Bowl Champions!
Team Canada - 2007 World Junior Hockey Champions!
Vancouver Giants - 2007 Memorial Cup Champions!
Robbie
Hall of Famer

CB123 wrote:Im sorry, but how could Wally not win this? Look at the Lions season, and the decisions he made (yeah I know they werent all great). and doesnt the Grey Cup count for anyhing?
As I mentioned earlier on this thread:
http://www.lionbackers.com/cheer/viewtopic.php?t=12244

It looks like biggest improvement from the previous season is the most important criteria for this award. Historical trends do not show much of a correlation between winning this award and whether the team had the best record and/or won the Grey Cup.
Blitz
Team Captain

I believe Wally (really it should be a coaching staff award) should be the CFL coach of the year. Too often the award is given to a 'turnaround' situation, as in Winnipeg this season, but it's much more difficult to take a team that has been close a number of times and get them 'over the top'! It's easy for a team that has been close too many times to go the other way.

The award is based upon success and not player's views of their coaches. However, there are still feelings lingering amongst the Leos players about the way Young and Warren were dropped this season. We heard it from players such as Paris Jackson at the time and now Clermont has commented on it recently. A lot has been made of the Leos turnaround after the insertion of Smith at tailback. At the same time the 'way' the players were dropped seems to have not gone away among a number of Leo vets. Clermont was also the biggest supporter of Chapdelaine and his parting has probably not made Clermont happy.

All this aside, Wally coached his best seaon with the Leos and not just because they won the Grey Cup. He and his coaching staff made important adjustments in terms of approach and strategy that were very important in terms of the Leos success. I believe he deserves the award hands down.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Good post Blitz. :thup:
Rammer
Team Captain

Winnipeg press is giving Berry more accolades.....
Here, then, is The Case for Doug Berry...

"Remember, we weren't even on the radar screen at the start of last season. Nobody was picking us to do anything or even be better than 5-13," said Bombers middle linebacker Barrin Simpson on Monday.

"He essentially took the same players and, with a couple added pieces, took us to 9-9. And if not for a series of injuries we easily could have finished with 11 or 12 wins.
I find the highlighted quote the funniest, as if not for a couple of injuries the Bombers could have easily finished 5 - 13 as well.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Lion_Pride_26
Legend

http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?module=news ... &nid=15113
Visit CFL.ca tonight at approximately 9:45 p.m. ET to learn this year?s winner.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Before, this ceremony used to be broadcast on TV. I guess not anymore. :bang:
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:... but it's much more difficult to take a team that has been close a number of times and get them 'over the top'! ...
:thup: kinda like the yards get tougher to get the closer an offence gets to first down/goal-line. The Bombers turnabout was awesome but the Lions recovering from that implosion means my votes with WB.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:Winnipeg press is giving Berry more accolades.....
Here, then, is The Case for Doug Berry...

"Remember, we weren't even on the radar screen at the start of last season. Nobody was picking us to do anything or even be better than 5-13," said Bombers middle linebacker Barrin Simpson on Monday.

"He essentially took the same players and, with a couple added pieces, took us to 9-9. And if not for a series of injuries we easily could have finished with 11 or 12 wins.
I find the highlighted quote the funniest, as if not for a couple of injuries the Bombers could have easily finished 5 - 13 as well.
And if Geroy Simon was injured for 9 games, the Lions might have finished 5 -13.

Coulda woulda shoulda. It's a useless arguement. The only valid arguement is what was achieved.

The Lions won the Grey Cup. No other team did.
Lion_Pride_26
Legend

No surprise, Wally is the Coach of the Year!

http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?module=news ... &nid=15113