history of NHL

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

mightybuck
Legend

Do you know your NHL history?

The Original Six.....well believe what you want!!

Actually when the NHL formed in 1917 it consisted of 5 teams, namely the Montreal Canadiens, Montreal Wanderers, Ottawa Senators, Quebec Bulldogs and the Toronto Arenas, which was the only team with artificial ice. The Quebec franchise did not operate in the 1918 season. In 1918 the Montreal Arena was destroyed by fire and as a result the Montreal Wanderers withdrew from the league, reducing its membership to three teams. Also in 1918 the Quebec franchise was sold to P. Quinn of Toronto, but the franchise had to play in Quebec. It did not participate in the 1918-19 season. For the 1919-20 season the Quebec Bulldogs franchise was reactivated. Toronto Arenas changed their name to Toronto St. Patricks. In 1920-21 the first of many NHL franchises was transferred, from Quebec to Hamilton Ontario. During the 1923-4 season a franchise was granted to the first American team, the Boston Bruins, and also a second Montreal team called the Maroons. As can be seen the first six team NHL occurred in 1924-5 but varied greatly from the six teams promoted today as the original six.

For the 1925-6 season the Hamilton franchise was dropped, with the players being signed by the new New York American franchise. Also during the 1925-6 season a franchise was granted for Pittsburgh for the following year. Also in May 1926 the New York Rangers franchise was granted, and in September the Chicago Blawkhawks and the Detroit Cougars were granted franchises. Finally the league known as the original six is starting to take shape. Also for the 1926-7 season Toronto St. Patrick's changed their name to the Toronto Maple Leafs after being sold to Hugh Aird and Conn Smythe.

For the 1930-1 season Detroit changed their name to the Detroit Falcons, the Pittsburgh franchise was transferred to Philadelphia being called the Philadelphia Quakers. For the 1931-2 season, Philadelphia dropped out and Ottawa withdrew for the season, resuming play the following year. During the 1932-3 season the Detroit franchise revises its name again this time to the Detroit Redwings. For the 1934-5 season Ottawa franchise moves to St. Louis named the St. Louis Eagles. This franchise folds the following year. On March 17, 1938 the Montreal Maroons played their final game. In 1941-2 the New York Americans change their name to the Brooklyn Americans, but end up withdrawing for the 1942-3 season.

And finally we are there. It took 26 years, after the NHL was founded, but the "original six" teams were now in place. This group of teams played, as the NHL until expansion in the 1967-68 season. This expansion doubled the league size to 12 teams with the addition of the Minnesota North Stars, California Seals, Los Angeles Kings, Philadelphia Flyers, Pittsburgh Penquins, and the St. Louis Blues.

Before their first season is over the California Seals became the Oakland Seals, finally ending up the California Golden Seals in 1970. (no name change helped the franchises)

Based on this expansion is where the name the "original six" originated, not from the formation of the NHL. The original six teams played in their own division until the 1970-1 season, when the Buffalo Sabres and Vancouver Canucks joined the league.

In 1972-3 two additional teams were added, the Atlanta Flames and the New York Islanders. Expansion continued for the 1974-5 season with the addition of the Kansas City Scouts and the Washington Capitols.

In 1976-7 the movement of franchises restarts. The California franchise moves to Cleveland, renamed the Barons, and the Kansas City franchise moves to Colorado under the Rockies name. In 1978-9 season the troubled Cleveland franchise merges with the Minnesota franchise.

Confused yet, just wait. In 1979-80 the Edmonton Oilers, Quebec Nordiques, Hartford Whalers and Winnipeg Jets join the league from the now defunct WHA league. In 1980-1 the Atlanta franchise is moved to Calgary. In 1982-3 the Colorado Rockies franchise is moved to New Jersey, renamed the Devils. In the 1991-2 season another new franchise is added, the San Jose Sharks. For those that have lost count the NHL consists of 22 teams at this point.

The league stays stable at this level until the following season when the Tampa Bay Lightning and Ottawa Senators are added. In the 1993-4 season The Mighty Ducks of Anaheim and Florida Panthers are added, while the Minnesota franchise is moved to Dallas, and renamed the Stars. In 1995-6 season the Quebec franchise is transferred to Colorado, renamed the Avalanche and the following year the Jets are moved from Winnipeg to Phoenix and renamed the Coyotes. In 1997-8 the Hartford franchise is transferred to Raleigh and renamed the Carolina Hurricane. The addition of the Nashville Predator franchise in 1998-9 brought the league to 27 teams and a major realignment of divisions took place for the addition of the Atlanta Thrashers franchise in 1999-2000 season and the addition of the Minnesota Wild and Columbus Bluejackets franchises for the 2000-1 season.

So here we are at 30 teams. Some have been moved around, some have fallen by the wayside. The list above attempts to give you links and a road map through the sometimes confusing development of the NHL

Whats amazing in all this - is that Montreal, Toronto, NY, Boston, Detroit and Chicago have stayed in the same place for 60 years

ps - Yes I surfaced for a moment :rockin:

going through withdrawls
"The most competitive men love the most competitive game" Vince Lombardi

A true friend is someone who walks in when everyone else is walking out
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Interesting read. The Oakland Seals had arguably the worst uniform in hockey with those white skates.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

I think very few people know the first American-based hockey team to win the Stanley Cup. It can very well be the million dollar question on Who Wants to be a Millionaire? I would say at least 95% of the contestants will be stumped.
crburrows
Champion

For the 1925-6 season the Hamilton franchise was dropped, with the players being signed by the new New York American franchise. Also during the 1925-6 season a franchise was granted for Pittsburgh for the following year. Also in May 1926 the New York Rangers franchise was granted, and in September the Chicago Blawkhawks and the Detroit Cougars were granted franchises. Finally the league known as the original six is starting to take shape. Also for the 1926-7 season Toronto St. Patrick's changed their name to the Toronto Maple Leafs after being sold to Hugh Aird and Conn Smythe.
IIRC, the Detroit Cougars were previously the Victoria Cougars who had relocated after winning a couple of Stanley Cups.

I checked Wikipedia, but its story is a bit different from the one in the Encyclopedia of British Columbia. I'll have to review tonight.
Lionut
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Interesting read. The Oakland Seals had arguably the worst uniform in hockey with those white skates.

Oh, it has some competition. Have you ever seen the white pants that the Washington Capitals rolled out for the first part of their first season? Very scary, kids. The Canucks "V" from 78-84 comes pretty close as well.

Finally, the first Canadian women's national teams had pink hockey pants. I kid you not. Fortunately, like Cooperalls and Lange skates, this idea died a mercifully quick death.
"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever."
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I agree that the Canucks "V" were horrendous. The Canucks paid a US company to come up with that design. :bang:
Robbie
Hall of Famer

I wonder if the Canucks would adopt that "V" uniform on Vintage Nights next season, the same way they've adopted the original blue and green uniforms on Vintage Nights this season.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The ONLY time that the Canucks wear the "V" uniform is on Halloween night. They look like a bunch of clowns and this year they are playing like them.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

When the Canucks replaced the "V" on their uniforms with the former Canucks logo while maintaining the gold colour from the 1985-86 season to the 1988-89 season, I don't think those uniforms looked all that bad, despite many criticisms about it. I personally think the fact that the Canucks' home uniforms were gold while all other teams' home uniforms were white gave the Canucks' uniform a nice, unique, distinction.

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Gold homes weren't unique to the Canucks -- the pre-Gretzky Kings had those for years, as did the aforementioned Oakland/California (Golden) Seals.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:Gold homes weren't unique to the Canucks -- the pre-Gretzky Kings had those for years, as did the aforementioned Oakland/California (Golden) Seals.
Yeah, the Kings had the same purple and gold colour pattern as the Lakers. But that Kings uniform still had white trims. The Canucks home uniform did not have any white at all.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote: I don't think those uniforms looked all that bad, despite many criticisms about it.
I think alot of people will disagree with you Robbie.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Robbie wrote: I don't think those uniforms looked all that bad, despite many criticisms about it.
I think alot of people will disagree with you Robbie.
I know, that is why I acknowledged that there were many criticisms about those uniforms.
D
Team Captain

Robbie wrote:
I have thse pants in my hockey bag :lol: .... the blacks look OK but the yellow is U G L Y :thdn:
I own The Grey Cup! .com
D
Team Captain

Do you know your NHL history?
at one time it was a penalty if ......
you passed the puck forward
a goalie left his feet (no butterfly back then)

the 1st US city to win the stanley cup was ...
Seattle :shock:
I own The Grey Cup! .com