ATTENDANCE THREAD FOR WESTERN FINAL

Buy or Sell Tickets (non profit) Info about the BC Lions in the Community and where Lions fans gather for events like tailgaters

Moderator: Team Captains

Ravi
Legend

SammyGreene wrote:
Ravi wrote:Was it not a positive sign for the western final attendance that the Lions drew such solid crowds for their final two meaningless home games? After seeing the attendance over the last couple of weeks, I will be surprised if they draw any less than 50k for the western final. What does everyone else think?
A little bit of papering going on for the last couple of games but solid crowds given the circumstances.

50,000 would take significant marketing efforts and the subsequent hype... something the Lions haven't shown they are capable of (yet).

In the 2 weeks since they have clinched, there has been little in way to sell the game, other than a 3-pack ticket deal that include the last 2 regular season games. Even tonight... there were no constant reminders.
Hopefully that changes in the next couple of days or the Lions aren't interested in getting a huge crowd.

I am a little concerned about the turnout in Toronto next Sunday after the Argos' offence laid an egg at home for 2 straight weeks and failed to clinch first.
I think one has to be realistic about the crowd next week in Toronto. Let's keep in mind that divisional semi-final games are notoriously difficult sells. I think that we will see something in the 25k range in Toronto next week which would be the smallest crowd of the season but one the Argos would have killed for three or four years ago. It should be more for a playoff game but, again, these first round playoff games are not easy sells (notwithstanding the crowd that Calgary will get next week because they are facing the Roughriders).
QB#9
Starter

120dB wrote:okay, Western Final is next, so let's get going!

Orange shirts, orange paint, orange coveralls, NOISE banners, Washington State Marching Band, 50,000 Bam Bams, bugle horns, air horns........
:thup: :rockin:
120dB
Legend

is it the WSU Marching Band again or the Blue Thunder?
120dB
Legend

well I guess it will be the UW marching Band again at halftime as the Seahawks are at home vs. the Rams so the Blue Thunder will be rocking Qwest Field
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Dhaliwall on today's NW noon hour sports:

"as of this morning 24,000 tickets have been sold for the Western Final. The Lions are expecting 40,000."

WTF... I thought it was closer to 30,000. No wonder Braley stayed away from the 50,000 number when Dhaliwal interviewed him on Friday.

With the effort they are making to market this game.... they will be lucky to hit the 37,000 they got a year ago. :bang: :sigh:
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

As I noted in another thread, any number bandied about from the Lions is overstated. Now we have evidence to that.

Judging from their play this year it should be close to a sellout as in 04, but I guess it just wont be. :?
smphantom
Legend

SammyGreene wrote:Dhaliwall on today's NW noon hour sports:

"as of this morning 24,000 tickets have been sold for the Western Final. The Lions are expecting 40,000."

WTF... I thought it was closer to 30,000. No wonder Braley stayed away from the 50,000 number when Dhaliwal interviewed him on Friday.

With the effort they are making to market this game.... they will be lucky to hit the 37,000 they got a year ago. :bang: :sigh:
12,000 of that are us season ticket holders? :sigh:
Stay thirsty my friends.
asianflow

SammyGreene wrote:Dhaliwall on today's NW noon hour sports:

The Lions have 21,000 season ticket holders so I assume those people are big Lion fans and bought playoff tickets.

That means only 3000 tickets have been sold to other folks.

The Western Final should have 60,000 in attendance.

What excuses will people come up with this year?
Perhaps attendance will be low because there isn't a NHL lockout?
The Canucks play in the same week?
It's too cold to head to BC Place?
SammyGreene
Team Captain

asianflow wrote:What excuses will people come up with this year?
Perhaps attendance will be low because there isn't a NHL lockout?
The Canucks play in the same week?
It's too cold to head to BC Place?
There are no more excuses ... Wally has got be thinking "what more do I have to do with the on field product?"

And just think this is the reaction with arugably the best-ever Lions regular season team. What happens in the rebuilding or off-years?

Maybe it will finally sink into Ackles/Braley heads that B.C. Place is too big for a CFL team.
Either hook on to Greg Kerfoot's wagon or start lobbying for a 35,000 stadium so there might actually be some urgency to buy tickets.
OrangeShoes99
Hall of Famer

There are no more excuses ... Wally has got be thinking "what more do I have to do with the on field product?"
Wally's done his job....it's up to the marketing department. This game should have been being plastered all over the place the moment they clinched.

It's a joke. Vancouver is an "event" city. You have to make it the thing to do, the place to be...not take out little 3x5 adds in the local paper... :bang:
http://www.cflfansfightcancer.com :: Ask me how you can help us raise money for Cancer research and treatment on behalf of CFL fans.
asianflow

When the Lions eventually become a bottom feeder (We all know the Lions can't be good every season) I wonder what the crowds will be like, especially in the summertime in a dome stadium?

If the Lions finished let's say 4-14, the next year I wouldn't be shocked if they couldn't crack 20,000 if they continued to lose.

I can't really blame the Lions marketing department right now. Unless you are living under a rock, you would know the Lions host the West final.

I see daily playoff ads in the paper, and there's Lions coverage in the newspaper, sportscasts, and radio.

I hate to say this, but I believe a NFL Pre-season game in Vancouver would outdraw the West final.
120dB
Legend

as I said before, don't read into 'NW too much. They don't carry the Lions so I don't think they can be believed. That number has to be a mistake.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

120dB wrote:as I said before, don't read into 'NW too much. They don't carry the Lions so I don't think they can be believed. That number has to be a mistake.
Is this the same NW that you wanted the Lions to switch to last week? :roll:
120dB
Legend

The reason why fans will stay away Nov. 12 is because of the disappointment of last year's Grey Cup. All those 60,000 who shelled out $ 140 or more hoping to see the Lions at the Big Dance, and then they're let down big time. The stink from last year's West Final still hangs around the dome.

You cannot bring fans expectations up to a high level like last year, drop them and expect them to be happy.

Add to that losing Casey Printers. That was a devastating blow for the organization. Never mind that QB controversy. If there was a controversy, they should've gotten rid of Dickensen and bring in the future, not keep a guy like Dickensen who's best years are in his rear view mirror.

Look how many fans were let down by that and now he signs 3 years with the Chiefs. You think that's gonna get people excited about the CFL when as soon as a player gets really good he leaves us?

And why are the Lions 13-5? You think they're that good? B.S.! Look at the competition! Is Calgary that good? Sask is so so at best. Edmonton is lousy. There is just not that level of competition in the West as there was in other years.

You just cannot keep bringing Lions fans up to a certain levl and then drop them time after time and expect them to keep buying into this CFL thing.

The Rolling Stones are here Friday with 51,000. You think they make the CFL look big-league?

The crowd Nov. 12 will be small. We have lost the battle.

The fans will stay away Nov. 12 to make a statement: that the Lions had better sharpen their playoff pencils, and do it this year.

Buono and Dickensen both must make a statement Nov. 12. It's time for the Lions to finally put up or shut up.
David
Team Captain

asianflow wrote:I hate to say this, but I believe a NFL Pre-season game in Vancouver would outdraw the West final.
If it was featured in our local papers with uninspiring 5"x7" black + white ads, with only 3 game packs as the primary marketing hook? No it wouldn't.

I don't get the impression that the NFL stands in the way of the Lions not getting 50,000 for the Western Final. The decision to not spend the money to make this a "must-see" event like they did for '04 WDF does.

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar