1994 Western Division Final Last Drive

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Zarquon
Champion

I gotta say that was great. I remember that being one of my favorite last minute of any game.

Thanks for the clip.
pigskinpatriot
Starter

Superb . That was unreal. Probably one of my top three moments of pure joy watching sports.
"The C.F.L. will be dead in three years " My uncle , June, 1990 .
Bosco
Team Captain

That was just a terrific drive to end a terrific game! :thup: I remember the second half being a real shootout, and the only thing that topped the Western Final was the Grey Cup the following week.
Hutch85
All Star

OMG, that's awesome... same feeling watching it now as when it was live on TV...

Thanks for the clip!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Ah sweet memories. :thup:
almo89
Legend

Hutch85 wrote:OMG, that's awesome... same feeling watching it now as when it was live on TV...

Thanks for the clip!
Ya i dunno why it feels like that watching this clip. Game 6 Nucks vs Rangers gives a bit of that feeling too.
Yank In BC
Hall of Famer

Game 6 Nucks vs Rangers gives a bit of that feeling too.
Was that the game where Van scored a goal, play kept going and NY scored only to go to video replay to reward Van the goal?
I have my head up my butt - 120db
almo89
Legend

Yank In BC wrote:
Game 6 Nucks vs Rangers gives a bit of that feeling too.
Was that the game where Van scored a goal, play kept going and NY scored only to go to video replay to reward Van the goal?
yep, that was Courtnall's goal. Even on TV that game seemed so loud.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Excellent link and post, Almo89!

It was sure good to see that again for the first time in nearly 12 years.

Just a few comments, thoughts, and questions after seeing that again:

#1.
In a previous posting, someone said that Ray Alexander may have broke the rules by using leverage to block the field goal. Although it's difficult to conclude, there is a possibility that his right arm may have been place on one of his offensive lineman. But even if his right arm was slightly on a teammate, that didn't leverage his jump all that much higher.

#2.
I don't recall the Lions special teams coach (Jodi Alan?) being so angry after the blocked field goal, as shown in the clip. Why was he getting so excited? Was he claiming that the ball should have been placed at the point where Doug Flutie first touched the ball after the blocked field goal?

#3.
Stats on the final drive: McManus made 6 of 8 passes spanning 67 yards. Of the six completions, Darren Flutie made 3, Matt Clark made 2, and Yo Murphy made 1. The two incompletion attempts were both made to Alexander.

#4.
In a post-game interview, McManus said that for the final play, he was looking to either Yo Murphy or Darren Flutie. Yo Murphy appeared to be open on the left side of the field, but was standing about at the 1 or 2 yard line with a defender about two steps beside him. Had McManus attempted a pass to him, the slanted pass may have made a catch more difficult for Murphy and there was a possibility that he would have been caught before entering the end zone. Darren Flutie was the safer bet.

#5.
There was a head cheerleader at the game - a man with his face painted all red and banging a drum. Right after the game, one of the CBC cameras was pointed at the man as he walked off dejected from the field. That shot is not in the clip.

#6.
CBC did not show this on TV until around 2002 and that is, the post-game trophy presentation in the division finals. I wonder if the Piffles Taylor trophy presentation was made on the snowy field and if it was, who was the first to hoist it.
nelson95
Legend

Great memories. Thank you so much even if it took forever to load
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
mightybuck
Legend

I just watched the final drive - wow - what a finish. I had no idea that Doug Flutie had a brother until this year. And didnt know they had played against each other until just now - great finish.
"The most competitive men love the most competitive game" Vince Lombardi

A true friend is someone who walks in when everyone else is walking out
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

mightybuck wrote:I just watched the final drive - wow - what a finish. I had no idea that Doug Flutie had a brother until this year. And didnt know they had played against each other until just now - great finish.
http://www.cbc.ca/programguide/personal ... CFL+on+CBC

"One of CFL's all time greats, Darren Flutie has been a part of the CFL ON CBC Pre-Game Show since 2003. The future hall-of-famer has been extremely versatile in lending insightful analysis to the show and has also worked as game analyst on occasion.

Flutie retired from the CFL following the 2002 season as the career leader in regular-season and playoff catches (972 and 85, respectively) and is second in all-time receiving yards (14,359). During his career, Flutie appeared in four Grey Cup games, winning twice (BC in '94 and Hamilton in '99). During his illustrious career, Flutie played for the BC Lions, the Edmonton Eskimos and the Hamilton Tiger-Cats. "

To me Darren Flutie was that type of special player who lacked size and speed but who had the desire and competitive instincts of any of the great receivers in the game today or in the past. If the ball was catchable no matter who or how many were on him, he'd catch it. He is in the top three of the players in this league I have come to admire and respect for his play, his character and commitment to the CFL.

He could catch, run back kicks, he held on FGs and was terrific when the play got botched and they had to scramble.

When I listen to Darren Flutie on the CBC panel when he is watching his #82 in action, I can' t help but stop and think that it must tear him up to see his old team with so little fight.

He and Danny MacManus were a combo that I enjoyed watching even after both left BC. That was some team in 1994.

Flutie is reputed to be one of the Americans who spoke out against eliminating the Import- Non-import ratio as he is also smart and realized that if the CFL eliminates the number of Canadians, the salary levels in the CFL will plummet to the levels minor league C level players as there are thousands of US college players who'd love to play for the love of the game and would drive salaries down through the floor.

In the CFL, if you look at winning teams, they usually have the best Canadians at every position with a top flight guy to pull the trigger and a great receiving corps. CFL teams have been known to get their top Canadians slotted in and then recruit around them with Imports. However, this seems to be changing some as witness BC moving to some Import tackles.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
bcbill1
Rookie

Thanks for the great memory. Still get choked up watching this. : :rockin: :bawl: :rockin:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Darren Flutie is the quintessential possession type receiver. He's the guy you go to when you need that critical reception.
Rammer
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:Darren Flutie is the quintessential possession type receiver. He's the guy you go to when you need that critical reception.
And yet the opposition knows it, and he still seems to find the room.
Entertainment value = an all time low