Lions 2022 free agents

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

SammyGreene
Team Captain

Of course the “wildcard” in all of this is they have to try and sign Jevon Cottoy too. Was likely on a very cap friendly rookie type deal last season and poised for a big pay raise.

Little surprised we have yet to hear of him opting for NFL tryout route yet like other younger CFL free agent receivers given he is just 25. However, he did go that route last year. Can only imagine CFL teams lining up to sign him.

BC will need to start 2 national receivers. Not ideal having all but 1 of your starting receiver core become free agents when you led the league in passing. And the one that was still under contract was the best deal to walk away from.
Dusty
Champion

SammyGreene wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:01 am
Of course the “wildcard” in all of this is they have to try and sign Jevon Cottoy too. Was likely on a very cap friendly rookie type deal last season and poised for a big pay raise.
/quote]

I think that Cottoy has a bunch more upside than Durant. I guess I'm saying that BC should move on from Durant at any contract value.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Cottoy has shown some rare talent for a "big man" type receiver. A lot of those guys are more position/possession type guys and few tend to make people miss or have good YAC stats. Cottoy has shown some surprising agility for such a large frame and it would be a shame if we couldn't find some way to keep him.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I do wonder if in the case of Burnham the club might not leverage the upcoming negotiation window as a tool in their favour? They can let him go out and see what offers he can get. All are binding pending his final decision. Then for the final 48 hours the Lions have exclusive neg rights but armed with the knowledge of what offers any others have submitted.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Hambone wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:04 pm
I do wonder if in the case of Burnham the club might not leverage the upcoming negotiation window as a tool in their favour? They can let him go out and see what offers he can get. All are binding pending his final decision. Then for the final 48 hours the Lions have exclusive neg rights but armed with the knowledge of what offers any others have submitted.
There could be some advantage to Burnham as well, assuming he really wants to stay in Vancouver but doesn't want to give too much of a discount to do it. So it gives him some FA options as well.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:30 pm

There could be some advantage to Burnham as well, assuming he really wants to stay in Vancouver but doesn't want to give too much of a discount to do it. So it gives him some FA options as well.

It's a 2 way street. Both sides get to know what the market really is before making a commitment. The player can find out what might be out there for interest and money and has the option to take the money, term and situation that he feels is best for him. And the incumbent team doesn't necessarily have to bid and perhaps overpay against an imaginary market that may not really exist.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

If I were Burnham, I would probably want to have a better sense of what was available on the market. Something is worth what people are willing to pay for it. And for a true reflection of that you have to shop around a bit to see what the market says. He is from back eastish, I don't know what his family status is but I could potentially see him being okay moving back to a an Eastern time zone. I hope he stays. He has some of the best hands that I have ever seen. Usually you have one spectacular catch in a season or maybe in a career. He makes those look routine and he is a pleasure to watch.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

I generally try to avoid the "what if" navel gazing over the league wide lists of pending FAs because most of the ones who might fit needs end up extending with their old teams before the market opens up. I think the Lions OL, despite criticisms, was better overall in 2021 as witnessed by them finishing middle of the pack (tied for 4th) in sacks allowed. I just don't have a sense of what their plans are for their remaining pending FA OL starters Figueroa, Steward, Godber and Matthews. My gut feel is they will allow Figs to go but beyond that I have no idea.

One name amongst the pending FA list that stands out more than any other is Winnipeg center Michael Couture. He's a Burmaby kid, SFU grad and turns 28 two days before free agency. I'm wondering if he might be available with the Bombers still having some huge decisions and potentially dollars to spend on Bryant, Bighill, Lawler and Harris. They still have a few other important pieces to deal with.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Bryan Burnham is the most established receiver among the CFL's list of 30 top pending free agents but he's also one of the oldest in what could be crowded field. Here are the top 7 receivers, ranked by age:

Greg Ellingson, Edmonton, 33
Kamar Jorden, Calgary, 32
Bryan Burnham, B.C., 31
Duke Williams, Saskatchewan, 28
Jake Wieneke, Montreal, 27
Kenny Lawler, Winnipeg, 27
Jevon Cottoy, B.C., 25

CFL.CA’S TOP 30 PENDING FREE AGENTS
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Given age, potential, passport, if it comes down to choosing between Burnham and Cottoy, I think the Lions have to spend the $ in keeping Cottoy, even though at this point in their careers Burnham is the better receiver.

I can see Campbell being conflicted with the co-GM in him wanting to build for the future, while the HC wants o win now. Then there is McEvoy's input....
Hambone
Hall of Famer

I wonder what today's news means for Burnham extending? On one hand BC just freed up more than 10% of their cap making it far easier to find the money to make it happen. On the other hand Burnham just lost his bestie and road roomie making it easier for him to think about a new postal code.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

And the Burnham extension is done!

Great news! Now time to figure out who are national receivers will be and where they will spend money on free agents:
Burnham Stays In Orange: Four-Time CFL All-Star Agrees To Extension

(Vancouver)- The CFL’s highlight-reel machine is staying in the den. The BC Lions announced today that wide receiver Bryan Burnham has agreed to a contract extension with the club.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:04 am
And the Burnham extension is done!

Great news! Now time to figure out who are national receivers will be and where they will spend money on free agents:
Burnham Stays In Orange: Four-Time CFL All-Star Agrees To Extension

(Vancouver)- The CFL’s highlight-reel machine is staying in the den. The BC Lions announced today that wide receiver Bryan Burnham has agreed to a contract extension with the club.
Excellent. Not wishing any ill will on Cottoy but hopefully NFL interests will be tepid. :cr: Unfortunately I think odds of him not getting an offer are at best 50/50.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Farhan Lalji says Burnham’s one-year deal is for $165,000, including a $50,000 signing bonus, but it could reach as high as $180,000 with incentives.

SammyGreene
Team Captain

Great to see him sign before free agency and the bump in pay after how it went down a year ago. I know it’s just the nature of the business but good to see his production and loyalty rewarded. Almost $400,000 on 2 American receivers when was the last time we did that?