Riders 41 - Lions 38, Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Gerry
Legend

JohnHenry wrote:In fairness to Printers, he played more when our OL was atrocious. He had regressed to the point he was watching the backs of the OL, not looking downfield, and many pundits complained about his "nervous feet" and he was a "nervous wreck". Let's not forget that Lulay was pretty crummy earlier this season behind our porous OL, too. Our OL substantially improved later in the season. In the last two games, Lulay had the confidence to look downfield and could sense his protection with only the corner of his eye. That will allow any QB to play better.

Stats aside, fans have to feel good about how Lulay performed in the last two pressure-packed games, on the road in hostile environments. He emerged as a team leader and exhibited all the skills you would want in your starting QB. :thup:
In fairness to the O-line, there were injuries and people in and out and substitutions for that reason, and also playing out of their usual spots early in the season.

I also believe it is easier to play the position if you know where the QB you are trying to protect is going to be on a given play. Printers was way more of an "ad-lib" type of QB than Lulay or Jackson. I think that Lulay plays within the system and that helps the O-line. Whether people like Chapdelaine's system or not, I think that most would agree that any system is better than none.
Enough is enough.
pennw
Legend

And this is also why Angus Reids comments were so important . He shed some light into what was going on behind the scenes , which helped to explain the situation earlier . There must have been friction between CP and the O-line . The improvement after he was gone was considerable and can be traced back to that point of the season . Freaking out at teammates can't be helpful and IMO that seemed to be what was going on . When the line in the sand was drawn , the inevitable happened . Lulay = leader of the team , there wasn't one before . There were those who wanted the situation covered up and turned on Reid for speaking up , but we the fans had a right to know and the team had an obligation to the fans to explain .
I did notice even the short yardage pushes were much improved and some were even good for 2 yards ( and that was with Reid in the middle too ) .
Rammer
Team Captain

pennw wrote:And this is also why Angus Reids comments were so important . He shed some light into what was going on behind the scenes , which helped to explain the situation earlier . There must have been friction between CP and the O-line . The improvement after he was gone was considerable and can be traced back to that point of the season . Freaking out at teammates can't be helpful and IMO that seemed to be what was going on . When the line in the sand was drawn , the inevitable happened . Lulay = leader of the team , there wasn't one before . There were those who wanted the situation covered up and turned on Reid for speaking up , but we the fans had a right to know and the team had an obligation to the fans to explain .
I did notice even the short yardage pushes were much improved and some were even good for 2 yards ( and that was with Reid in the middle too ) .
No excuses for CP and his "freaking out at teammates", there is no room for that, however the OL got adjusted after he left and we will never really be able to compare the OL that CP had to protect him vs the post OL that Lulay eventually inherited. At least two moves were made post CP era.
Entertainment value = an all time low
pennw
Legend

What we don't know is , how much freaking out went on before it became public . I suspect it was the first time we saw it . If some one freaks out at you at your work constantly if you ever make a mistake , how well do you perform ?
As for Lulay playing with the same O-line as CP , he did that too . The Bomber game where the incident took place , Lulay started that game and did very well behind that same o-line and left the game with a 21 point lead , which disappeared after he was out .
Rammer
Team Captain

pennw wrote:What we don't know is , how much freaking out went on before it became public . I suspect it was the first time we saw it . If some one freaks out at you at your work constantly if you ever make a mistake , how well do you perform ?
As for Lulay playing with the same O-line as CP , he did that too . The Bomber game where the incident took place , Lulay started that game and did very well behind that same o-line and left the game with a 21 point lead , which disappeared after he was out .
Yet Lulay had the wind in the 3rd quarter and comparing the mindset of a QB coming in off the bench to the one who got the starting reps for that game isn't fair either. Face it, there is noway to make a complete comparison on the two QB's, so unless you offer up something from the inside, we will continue to disagree only that you are attempting place Lulay in a larger light than can be factual.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Gerry
Legend

Rammer wrote:
pennw wrote:What we don't know is , how much freaking out went on before it became public . I suspect it was the first time we saw it . If some one freaks out at you at your work constantly if you ever make a mistake , how well do you perform ?

Yet Lulay had the wind in the 3rd quarter and comparing the mindset of a QB coming in off the bench to the one who got the starting reps for that game isn't fair either. Face it, there is noway to make a complete comparison on the two QB's, so unless you offer up something from the inside, we will continue to disagree only that you are attempting place Lulay in a larger light than can be factual.
People have been placing Printers "in a larger light than can be factual" for a few years now, so I suppose it's only natural that Lulay fans do a bit of the same.
Enough is enough.
The_Pauser
Legend

Rammer wrote: Well a good thing that I stipulated the media pointing to the 1 - 7 record as being written off then. :)

As for Lulay, he wasn't the best QB when Printers and he were both Lions, he emerged as the better QB down the stretch by comparison. Still I don't think until he was able to beat the Stamps that I would credit him as the starter. He did have very favourable ST/D work for him in order to get those wins. Still he seems to be growing and that is better than what Printers was showing.
Playing with both his ACL's in tact helps...
Roar you Lions roar!
pennw
Legend

The_Pauser wrote:
Rammer wrote: Well a good thing that I stipulated the media pointing to the 1 - 7 record as being written off then. :)

As for Lulay, he wasn't the best QB when Printers and he were both Lions, he emerged as the better QB down the stretch by comparison. Still I don't think until he was able to beat the Stamps that I would credit him as the starter. He did have very favourable ST/D work for him in order to get those wins. Still he seems to be growing and that is better than what Printers was showing.
Playing with both his ACL's in tact helps...
As does getting along with teammates ...